Which factions do not yet have an 8E codex?

I'm trying to go through and update my number of (unplayed) armies and see how rules-legal they are in their current configurations and planning builds and purchases for the foreseeable future.

Which armies have NOT gotten a new codex yet?  I went through GW and I swear there were armies in their that haven't been updated like DA or GK, yet they had a codex available and not an Index.  It's quite possible that I missed them if they did get new books, but I just want to confirm what's new and what's old.

From the faction list on GW sites, these haven't got a codex:

Genestealrt Cults
Ynnari
Orks
Renegade Knights
Assassins
Inquisition
Sisters of Battle
Sisters of Silence
Space Wolves

It's also up for debate whether some of the Chaos Legions will get their own book treatment or not.

It varies a bit if you’re interested in factions that we know are definitely getting a codex. It’s not clear what will happen with inquisition, assassins, sisters of silence and some others yet. The inquisitors or assassins may stay as an index force. The ones we know are definitely getting a codex but haven’t had it yet are:

Imperial Knights

Space Wolves

Genestealer Cults

Orks

Sisters of Battle (but possibly will wait until the new models are released next year)

Edited to remove Ynarri, sorry, thought they were confirmed.

... Where was it announced that the Ynnari are 'definitely' getting their own codex?

I expect they'll be in a new campaign supplement eventually.

... well I guess my Primaris joke was going to go over like a lead balloon the ;)

I get what you mean about missing stuff. When I jumped back in last year, for the longest time I though Chaos Undivided didn’t have a Codex. Quite in the Eye of Terror these days.

Kind of excited to see what they do with the Knights ... Orks. Always fun to play against them and Nids (even when the current cheese).

Sisters Battle (not Silence bleh) ... about dang time come on.

Wolves likely will be the competitive Marine army. Maybe Vanilla marines could be published last next time? Right.

Aeldari ... sigh, somebody do ... something. Never seen a Codex not have power creep.

I’d like to see supplements not full blown Codex for Inquistion (unless they bring the old Kasrkin models back) Assassins and Genestealer Cults.

GW stated that every army in the Index would get a codex.

Define 'Army'.

Presumably it means 'every unit/sub-faction will find a home in a proper codex' rather than say... a standalone Codex: Adeptus Astra Telepathica.

Imperial Agents is an obvious one, but I'm really curious where Questor Traitoris will end up, assuming they're not Squat'ed already anyway.

GW stated that every army in the Index would get a codex.

Define 'Army'.

Presumably it means 'every unit/sub-faction will find a home in a proper codex' rather than say... a standalone Codex: Adeptus Astra Telepathica.

Imperial Agents is an obvious one, but I'm really curious where Questor Traitoris will end up, assuming they're not Squat'ed already anyway.

Which illustrates the point that when GW said 'every army in the index will get a codex', which is a paraphrase, that there is a lot of wiggle room to what that actually means. For example, they heavily implied at adepticon that they weren't going to do SoB ever before the survey results came in.

I think they would have done a SoB codex in some form, but they weren’t planning to do the plastic model range to go with it that they’re doing now.

I'm just relaying what was implied in discussions had with the devs, not speculating on the exact  nature of what would/would not of been done had the survey gone differently.

I can confirm that Sisters will have their own Codex. I spoke to Robin Cruddace at Warhammer Fest on the Sunday. As for other units, such as Assassins etc, he did say that they will have updated rules, but isn't sure how those rules will be presented.

When you say Sisters, do you mean Sisters of Silence or Sisters of Battle? Because later we know already and people tend to talk about "Sisters" meaning SoB forgetting that SoS are a thing. ^^

Also I'm really expecting SoS to get their own Codex eventually. I don't think GW will abandon them after giving Custodes their own Codex + additional models. Which kinda sucks because I'd be really tempted by SoS. :P

When you say Sisters, do you mean Sisters of Silence or Sisters of Battle? Because later we know already and people tend to talk about "Sisters" meaning SoB forgetting that SoS are a thing. ^^

Also I'm really expecting SoS to get their own Codex eventually. I don't think GW will abandon them after giving Custodes their own Codex + additional models. Which kinda sucks because I'd be really tempted by SoS. :P

Sisters of Battle. That said, it'd be nice if SoS had a Codex or at least a decently large section in a catch all Codex in the future.

I can confirm that Sisters will have their own Codex. I spoke to Robin Cruddace at Warhammer Fest on the Sunday. As for other units, such as Assassins etc, he did say that they will have updated rules, but isn't sure how those rules will be presented.

sister sof battle will more than likely be in the chapter approved later this year, to be fully beta tested, then a dex late 2019-2020 if hte models and rules are ironed out

sister sof battle will more than likely be in the chapter approved later this year, to be fully beta tested, then a dex late 2019-2020 if hte models and rules are ironed out
That is correct. GW has said that they want to use that as a sounding board to gauge reaction to the rules for feedback, before releasing a Codex in 2019.

We need, as a community to ensure we give as much constructive feedback as possible. It's a great chance to be part of ensuring we get decent, balanced Codex :)

Archived