Blood splatter or not?

Graymane

Greetings!

A quick question. I have been working on my Terminators for ETL and have hit a hitch in regard to blood splatter.

As they were close combat marines, i was going to experiment with sprinkling around a little high velocity spatter and some suitable weapon gore.

However, my better half expressed the opinion that they look better just with the clean power/frost weapon glow.

Here is the one nearly finished terminator (line highlights needed and a slight tidy up)...

med_gallery_87416_12060_843256.jpgmed_gallery_87416_12060_839499.jpg

med_gallery_87416_12060_501787.jpgmed_gallery_87416_12060_1200106.jpg

med_gallery_87416_12060_1207701.jpgmed_gallery_87416_12060_1018856.jpg

So i was thinking maybe something a bit like this (A swift Microsoft paint mock-up ftw! :cool.: ) ....

gallery_87416_12060_440938.jpg

What do you think? I would value your opinions.

Many thanks,

GM.

I've always thought that blood wouldn't stick to power weapon blades, whatever makes them so potent at cutting through armour would burn it off or something; likely cauterising wounds that are made in flesh too, so there wouldn't be spatter. Plus spatter on all of the model except the blades would be odd. Consequently, I agree with your better half, leave it clean.

Here's the deal, blood spatter done well, can enhance  the final appearance of a model. Blood spatter done poorly can nearly ruin  all of your  efforts.

Your "old man Logan" pose certainly supports some blood spatter, but I also agree with the above comments regarding the effect of power weapons.

With that in mind, I'd think about doing one of two things:

1. Leave as is. Obviously, the easiest course.

2. Go  blood splatter, but take a more measure approach. I.e. practice on some other model(s) until you get the look you are after. I would also not put it on the blades, but on areas around the blades. I would also consider investing in some sort of "glowy" power weapon effect on the blades, even if it's just washes and not the lit up blade effect that many of us use.

3. Red snow....so  epically Dan  Abnett. If  you do #2, you would need to do some of #3.

I love your model, well done regardless of how you decide to finish him off.

Cheers,

I'm in agreement with the general consensus so far, clean is the likely way to go. 

It's not that blood spatter isn't cool (Like Honda and Bjorn totally said, it can looks great, and blood on snow is a tasty little bit of Abnettii glory) but it's one of those really fine lines.  But more over, Sockwithaticket kinda sums it up for me: every reference to a 'power weapon' in the fiction that I can recall lops off a limb or bubbles through ceramite, leaves some blood, then scorches itself clean in a few seconds.  So unless it's a totally fresh kill with the body on the base and whatnot, I'd probably sway away from the fresh blood spatter on power weapons.  Chain weapons might be a totally different story. 

And aye, bloody good looking termie mate, rock on, eh?

... ugh, pun not intended but caught at the last second.  

I vote clean too. I do like blood splatter but I think it works best on light colours, like white armour on World Eaters. On your dark grey, I think it’ll get a little lost. Wolf looks good, by the way!

Blood spatter is the recesses of the gauntlets, cloths and the base.

Blood would burn off the blades so keep them clean but all books always talk about blood and I’m not sure how you dice a man with perfect cauterised wounds at the pace they’re going through them

Archived