Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2K list - no goats nor Magnus

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

UsernameTaken

UsernameTaken

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 40 posts
I'm looking for some advise on a list i'm trying to make.

Spoiler

The plan is to slowly walk up the board with my rubrics while being protected by a cultist bubblewrap, while using my wizards and my hellbrutes as nutcrackers, opening up transports and exposing the units inside to the rubric's bolters, with the terminators and the DMC offering some tactical flexibility.

At the beginning of the game the exaletd supporting my artilley will swap his smite for the almost mandatory gaze of fate, leavimg me with a big 12 command points.

My biggest concern is that, while it has enough models for decent backfield control, the overall slow speed of this list might hinder it effectiveness once i have burnt my DMC and the scarabs have dropped.

Also, there is a clear lack of melee with only ahriman and the dp being somehow decent, but the cultists bubble wrap should buy me a few extra turns of shooting before being engaged hopefully.

And finally, i'm not sure that i have enough anti-tank in this list, the contemptor can be decent against T6 4+ save vehicles, but for T7+ ones i only have 4 lascanons two frag missiles per turn, though i have a lot of different D3 mortal wounds spells, and with the amount of command points i get i can afford to use vets of the long war every turn. Should i remove the exalted from his disc to free up the points to replace the contemptors kheres for for exemple c-beams to help?

Any help or advice is very welcome, though take into account that i will not include any goats in my army (yes, they are super competitive, but i dislike them).

Edited by UsernameTaken, 20 May 2018 - 09:17 PM.

Realgone

Realgone

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 48 posts

I like it, to how it will perform best thing is have a few games with it. On paper and on the table top is 2 different beast. Swapping smite on the exalted for gaze of fate, won't work because the exalted don't have access to the tzeentch demon discipline. Swap smite on your DP for it. Maybe try to swap an Exalted for another DP they are better in every way. As for goat I understand your point of view, i'm in the same train. But recently at my FLG there was 20 of them used and already glued for sale. Bought them and Hey!, start liking the buggers. ;)

For anti-tank, i don't know about hellbrute that much but don't they have a stratagem to help them?  2 Predator with las-cannon is my way to go.

UsernameTaken

UsernameTaken

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 40 posts

Doesn't the chaos familiar startagem allow you  to swap any spell for any other one of any of the three disciplines?

Realgone

Realgone

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 48 posts

Doesn't the chaos familiar startagem allow you  to swap any spell for any other one of any of the three disciplines?

Don't think it apply to spell you don't have access in the first place, could be wrong but doubt it.

shamsael

shamsael

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13 posts

Don't think it apply to spell you don't have access in the first place, could be wrong but doubt it.

The strategem says you can replace a spell with any from the 3 mentioned disciplines.  It does not specify that you have to otherwise have access to that list.

• Realgone and Kite Senet like this

frightnight

frightnight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11 posts

Don't forget about the Webway strat to allow one of those Rubric squads to get up close and personal, when combined with the DMC you get a lot of mobility for a slow unit.

My list is similar to this, with the same general idea. I'm going to be trying my luck against a very good Necron player this week.

2000 pts, 10 CP

Battalion:

Ahriman (no disc)

Daemon Prince w/wings (Warlord, +1 cast)

25 Cultists w/pistols, 2x flamer

10 Rubrics w/icon, 6 bolter, 2 flamer, soulreaper

10 Rubrics w/icon, 7 bolter, 1 flamer, soulreaper

Outrider:

Termie Sorc w/familiar, DMC

3x Chaos Spawn

3x Chaos Spawn

3x Enlightened w/ spears

Spearhead:

Exalt Sorc on disc, Prismatic Staff

Predator w/ autocannon, 2 las

Defiler w/ CB, scourge, twin HB

Defiler w/ CB, scourge, twin las

Ignoring even the chaff units will ruin their day, I hope.

yergerjo

yergerjo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 303 posts

Doesn't the chaos familiar startagem allow you to swap any spell for any other one of any of the three disciplines?

The strategem says you can replace a spell with any from the 3 mentioned disciplines. It does not specify that you have to otherwise have access to that list.

And it was explicitly stated in the FAQ as being a thing...I was doing it from the start...I usually do it on an Asp Sorc in the backfield.

frightnight

frightnight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11 posts

And remember that you can also replace Smite with it, especially the weaker Rubricae one.

Dolchiate Remembrancer

Dolchiate Remembrancer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,657 posts
  • Faction: CSoV, TSons

Don't forget about the Webway strat to allow one of those Rubric squads to get up close and personal, when combined with the DMC you get a lot of mobility for a slow unit.

My list is similar to this, with the same general idea. I'm going to be trying my luck against a very good Necron player this week.

2000 pts, 10 CP

Battalion:

Ahriman (no disc)

Daemon Prince w/wings (Warlord, +1 cast)

25 Cultists w/pistols, 2x flamer

10 Rubrics w/icon, 6 bolter, 2 flamer, soulreaper

10 Rubrics w/icon, 7 bolter, 1 flamer, soulreaper

Outrider:

Termie Sorc w/familiar, DMC

3x Chaos Spawn

3x Chaos Spawn

3x Enlightened w/ spears

Spearhead:

Exalt Sorc on disc, Prismatic Staff

Predator w/ autocannon, 2 las

Defiler w/ CB, scourge, twin HB

Defiler w/ CB, scourge, twin las

Ignoring even the chaff units will ruin their day, I hope.

Hey FN,

If you play a game, let us know how it goes as I'm considering a similar set up.

Segmentum Ultima::Dolchiate Sector ++Tales of Warfare in a Sector of the 41st Millennium++
IA: Crimson Sons of Vengeance(BA Successor) ++ IT: Thrallband Tusmah(TS Thrallband)

ETL_Medal_03.gif ETL_Medal_04.gif  gallery_29004_10383_212.pnggallery_62972_10568_30745.jpggallery_48988_10069_9408.pnghPRn0FW.pnggallery_48988_13169_15439.png

frightnight

frightnight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11 posts

I did play, and got pretty stomped on, though it was closer than the points would make it look.

He had two units of warriors, a unit of immortals, big unit of destroyers, a tesseract vault, and 3 of the shooty vehicles... doomsday arks? plus a couple HQs I don't remember.

My rolls were a bit lackluster, coupled with him getting really good draws from his objective deck, and his destroyers just not going down (had them down to 1, who saved every wound and then the unit got back up) made it an uphill climb. That 1 CP strat they have that lets destroyers reroll failed hits and wounds is just completely wrong.

I managed to wipe out his vault in turn 2, and started rolling up his warrior line with the remaining cultists and spawn while the termie and a rubric squad dropped in and wiped out the other side of his line. Ahriman and the DP went in and started doing work, but the 3 arks took enough wounds off the pred to make it mostly useless and then went to work on the defilers.

If I face him again, I'm reworking to split the cultists, combine the rubrics to a 20 to better give both flexibility and punch, but I'm unsure if I want to build out the units or leave 93 points to summon 3 screamers in.

Or I might drop the termie sorc, enlightened, spawn, and a defiler for a tzeentch supreme command of two more DPs with wings, a fluxmaster, and a lord of change so I can just wreck his face with more psy blasts and huge assault. Decisions, decisions.

• Prot likes this

Always check the Shadows

Always check the Shadows

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 45 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard

I used the following no goats / Magnus list for 2 friendly games at Warhammer World yesterday and got my ass kicked on both occasions.

2000 Pts 9CP

Battalion:

Daemon Prince with Wings and Double Talons

Exalted Sorcerer with Stave (Warlord +1 to Cast)

20 Cultists with Autoguns and 2 x Flamers

9 Rubrics with 4 Warpflamers in Rhino

20 Rubrics with 2 Soulreapers

Defiler with Twin Lascannons and Scourge

Helbrute with Twin Lascannons and Missile Launcher

Maulerfiend with Lasher Tendrils

Outrider Detachment:

Terminator Sorcerer with Familliar

Spawn x2

Spawn x2

Spawn x2

The first game was against Aliatoc and we randomly drew a Cloak and Shadows mission meaning i was -2 to hit from 18 inches or more away, not a good start. The dice gods were dreadful, i rerolled 3 times and got a 1 every time, and i drew utterly awful tactical objectives so i didn't stand a chance.

The second game was against a very tried and tested Tyranid army running 60 Genestealers. I conceded turn 3 as i would have been tabled turn 4. Having -1 to Psychic tests from His Broodlord and Hive Tyrants made it really hard to get powers off.

I simply didn't have enough Dakka against the Tyranids and having charges coming from outside Warpflamer range didn't help either. The Defiler was rubbish against the Elder but easily made its points back against the Tyranids. The Helbrute was underwhelming throughout, just not enough shots. The spawn proved to be a great distraction in both games and are almost a must include

I am reworking the list to get some Scarabs and will probably get rid of the Defiler, the -1 for moving and shooting heavy weapons is crippling. Will also try to get 2 5 and Rubric squads in the Rhino for greater flexibility.

• Prot likes this

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,644 posts
I actually think Spawn are a little gem in the codex especially with the Strat. But Genestealer spam is a very good build.

I’m in the fence with Defilers. I really don’t like mixed role units that aren’t great at any one role.

Something I consider is Daemon spam for making a 3++ wall for a layer of protection against stuff like that.

Click to see....
gallery_2760_14273_30255.jpg
Instagram: @Prot40k

frightnight

frightnight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11 posts

I actually think Spawn are a little gem in the codex especially with the Strat. But Genestealer spam is a very good build.

I’m in the fence with Defilers. I really don’t like mixed role units that aren’t great at any one role.

Something I consider is Daemon spam for making a 3++ wall for a layer of protection against stuff like that.

I beg to differ: Defilers are great in both roles, properly supported.

I run two in most 1KSons lists as per above, and the only thing that goes wrong with them is that I haven't quite grasped when to be aggressive and advance with them.

They are supported by Ahriman and sometimes a DP. Either of them gives the 1's rerolls, and the DP can cast Flickering Flames for +1 to wound on one, and Ahriman typically loads one with Prescience. Alternately you can spend a CP for Daemonforge to reroll hits and wounds, or do both if you really, really need something dead. Usually I do about 1-2 turns with them standing still as gun platforms before moving them out to start the beatdowns; 8" move will get them a good distance, then you can Warptime them if needed for more. Blasphemous Machines will get one (typically the twin LC one, as the twin HB one can fend for itself) to ignore the -1 for moving to pop some more shots off, then it's into combat.

Once locked up, it swings 7 attacks with the scourge, of which 3 have to be scourge attacks and the others can be that or claws. Most often you will just use the scourge, S12 -2 3 dam is plenty to wreck face with; I took down a Carnifex in a single turn. But when you really need that extra S, claws get you S16 and -3 for the cost of having random d6 damage.

Again, you have to support them, giving them a +1 to hit is very helpful, upping their ++ save is also good. I can't recommend them highly enough.

• Dolchiate Remembrancer and SickSix like this

SickSix

SickSix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,192 posts
  • Faction: Silver Skulls
I haven't started to make my 40k Sons list yet, but I can't tell you how much joy it gives me to hear that Defilers are effective in a Sons list! Defilers are my favorite vanilla chaos unit since I first laid eyes on them.

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,644 posts
Gees if you’re loving Defilers... you’re must be doing something pretty special with them. Let us know how it’s going. I’d sincerely love to reinsert them into my lists one day even for the heck of it.

Click to see....
gallery_2760_14273_30255.jpg
Instagram: @Prot40k

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users