A guide to Heresy era Titan Legions

Does anyone know or have a good guide to the heresy era Titan Legions? I'd love an intro to the colours, combat styles, brief histories, and rivalries.

I'm sure we'll get one around launch and in the book, and the info is probably there scattered over wikis - but is there any guide already?

I think 'scattered over wikis' is sadly accurate, for now. Most of the current background comes from the various Imperial Armour and Heresy books by FW but there's variation even in them; the Legio Mortis for example received less in-depth treatment than the much-smaller Legio Xestiobax because their piece was written in an earlier black book, when the template hadn't been firmed up quite so much.

Add to that the odd detail that crops up in the BL books (still not much) and you don't get anything hugely comprehensive.

Probably the best place to look would be the rulebooks for the two Adeptus Titanicus editions from the 80's, as well as the Codex Titanicus. At any rate a lot of the old scanned heraldry images you see floating around come from them. Could be tricky to find if you don't want a dodgy PDF.

EDIT: That said, if anyone knows of a good resource, I'd love to see it myself. Was trying to peruse different legion schemes the other day in anticipation of AT and it's not easy.

As Sandlemad says, the short answer is that there isn't a good catch-all resource. Part of the reason for that is that the Titan Legions in general have only been touched upon fairly lightly. The original game gave some sample colour schemes, but the emphasis was very much on creating your own (much like Space Marine Chapters, Eldar Craftworlds etc. at the time).

In the meantime, I'd suggest you look at this post from The First Expedition forum, which has a fairly decent all-in-one list with illustrations that was kept up-to-date until ~2015. 

The bulk of the Titan Legion lore was published in the Epic scale game starting with Space Marine, Adaptus Titanicus, and Epic 40,000. Lots of White Dwarf articles. The 40k Wiki has pretty much all of it in one place, with sources linked. I have the app on my phone, it’s a nice quick reference source.

SJ

To be honest, you might be better off waiting for Titanicus to come out anyway. There’s no knowing what will have changed or been ret-conned from those earlier publications. Take for example the classic images of Forgeworld Titans (the full size model ones) the blue and yellow scheme you see on most is Legio Astorum. Now in the old fluff from epic etc they had flames on them. The new Forgeworld ones have been changed to keep the blue and yellow but lost the flames.

My point is that even if you can find a repository of all the relevant info, it could change significantly in August so I’d wait before you decide on any schemes etc.

I've researched this a little myself.

I think people are right in saying to be cautious - retconning is certainly a possibility for some of the older material.

If you want something to look at now though that you can pretty much guarantee will remain valid, check out some of the info in the FW Horus Heresy books if you're able.

FW sell decals for most of the 'main' Titan legions for use with their 40K scale Titans, and those books detail a few of the different groups that operate them.

Forge World has touched upon some Legios in their various Imperial Armour books (both HH and elsewhere), these should remain safe both lore and scheme-wise. Each HH book touches upon one or two for the most part, although surprisingly there was mention of Audax in the Destruction of Bodt but no lore or scheme illustrations... they've been the exception thus far.

If in doubt, go with The Gore Crows (Legio Vulturum). We have the best parties on Xana II.

The daemonic infestation is massively overstated, honestly.

Forge World has touched upon some Legios in their various Imperial Armour books (both HH and elsewhere), these should remain safe both lore and scheme-wise. Each HH book touches upon one or two for the most part, although surprisingly there was mention of Audax in the Destruction of Bodt but no lore or scheme illustrations... they've been the exception thus far.

I figure they're saving them for a big World Eaters battle, though they've had plenty of chances on second thought.

Archived