Grinding Advance rolling

When rolling the “shoot twice” do you roll them separately or together?

I’ve always rolled them as separate shooting events (roll, resolve, remove models, roll 2nd shot.) however I’ve been seeing lots of people rolling them together.

i.e. Battlecannon shoots 2D6 shots. All hits/wounds/saves resolved together. I feel like that way is beneficial to the shooter.

So what’s everyone’s preferred method?

Since you can't change targets, I'd say that you can roll them together 99% of the time. The exception is when the results of one salvo might affect the next. An example of this is the demolisher cannon. If they have enough models to give you d6 shots, but shooting might lower the second salvo to only d3, then roll them separately in order to see what the second shot gets to do. Similarly, shorter range guns that might take out every model in range and put the unit too far away to shoot should roll each salvo separately. 

Also, if you are using Catechan or Cadia, you want to roll each shot separately so you can decided on re-rolls for number of shots.

Since they're separate shooting, you can still roll them together since both salvos get to be re-rolled.

From the FAQ

Q: If a unit has an ability that allows it to ‘shoot twice’ (e.g. Maugan Ra’s Whirlwind of Death ability, or an Aggressor Squad’s Fire Storm ability), do I need to shoot the same target each time or can I choose different targets? Do I need to resolve these two shooting attacks back to back?

A: Unless otherwise stated, you can shoot different targets each time it shoots. The attacks are resolved back to back – resolve the first shooting attack completely before resolving the second.

Chris, thanks mate. That’s what I was looking for and couldn’t come across quickly.

I know GA states it has to be the same target, but good to know I’ve been doing it correctly. Which FAQ did you find that in, so I can highlight for reference next time?

Also, if you are using Catechan or Cadia, you want to roll each shot separately so you can decided on re-rolls for number of shots.

Since they're separate shooting, you can still roll them together since both salvos get to be re-rolled.
For Cadia, yes. For Catachan no. Catachans can reroll the number of shots they make each time. Makes a big difference as 4 dice at once can give you 6 6 1 1 which you'll interpret as highest 2, but rolling individually you could get first roll 6, no reroll, second shot 1, reroll for a 1, so 7 total shots instead of 12. I've had people do this and realized it's a very different take on the rule than "roll 4 dice, take the 2 highest".

Edit: unless you meant roll two dice, and decide to reroll either of those from there. In which case, my bad, you were spot on.

Since they're separate shooting, you can still roll them together since both salvos get to be re-rolled.
For Cadia, yes. For Catachan no. Catachans can reroll the number of shots they make each time. Makes a big difference as 4 dice at once can give you 6 6 1 1 which you'll interpret as highest 2, but rolling individually you could get first roll 6, no reroll, second shot 1, reroll for a 1, so 7 total shots instead of 12. I've had people do this and realized it's a very different take on the rule than "roll 4 dice, take the 2 highest".

Edit: unless you meant roll two dice, and decide to reroll either of those from there. In which case, my bad, you were spot on.

Hmm I'd say for catachan and a Cadia LR's with pound them to dust order regarding rerolling shots it's totally fine to roll both at the same time since you can reroll each one. For Battle cannon as an example just roll two dice and after you can decide to reroll none, one or both. Should net the same result as rolling them separate.

Any other scenario they should be rolled separate in case you want to spend a CP to reroll one. Let's say you roll both and get a '3' and a '6' you might want to reroll the '3'. But if you roll them separate and the first attack is a '3' you might save the reroll in case you roll worse for the second attack.

At least that's my take on it

Cadian tanks will do the same as Catachan with their tank order (Pound them to dust!), so RAW, you need to chose whether to keep or reroll individually. Roll 2 keep highest has a 4.47 avg value, choice re-roll is less then that, around ~4.25 avg.

It's also important to consider the sequence of dice, so I would always say roll separately. Why? Because with a roll of 6&3 its a difference if you roll them at once or separately. If you roll the 6 first, you are much more inclined to accept the 3 as second roll. But what if you roll the 3 first? You wouldn't know you would roll a 6 next, so the decision might be completely different.

I roll for number of shots one at a time, but then I roll all of my hits and wounds combined at the same time. Because you cannot change targets there is no statistical difference of rolling to hits and to wounds together. The only thing that may affect your probability is the # of shots so do those separately. 

Eg: I always use catachan so I get reroll on number of shots, first volley roll & re-roll as needed. Second volley roll & re-roll as necessary. Total up number of shots let's say 8, at that point I roll everything together since nothing can change at that point.

I roll for number of shots one at a time, but then I roll all of my hits and wounds combined at the same time. Because you cannot change targets there is no statistical difference of rolling to hits and to wounds together. The only thing that may affect your probability is the # of shots so do those separately. 

Eg: I always use catachan so I get reroll on number of shots, first volley roll & re-roll as needed. Second volley roll & re-roll as necessary. Total up number of shots let's say 8, at that point I roll everything together since nothing can change at that point.

The only caveat I'd recommend here is if you're using the demolisher (I love them.) Since they change the number of shots based on the sie of the target, you might have to fully resolve one salvo before rolling the number of shots for the next.

You need to complete each shot completely separately RAW. Furthermore you want to resolve those attacks separately. By giving your opponent more information, that he is not entitled to mind you, as to how the shooting has turned out you give him a complete picture with which to decide how he will allocate wounds, use strategems ect. Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Roll damage rolls separately against multi wound models so your opponent can’t allocate wounds efficiently

Im fairly sure its written somewhere you have to do damage rolls one by one as you can potentially over kill 1 model as regular damage doesnt over flow as opposed to mortal wounds

Archived