PBB's Thousand Sons, Daemons and Chaos // Nurgle Knight

Holy moly man. That is absolutely beautiful (in a disgusting kinda way). The sculpting is on point, the painting is on point. Possibly one of the most epic minis I’ve seen in a long while! Absolutely stunning man! Amazing job!

Give the painted lightning idea a go, you can always change your mind if it doesn't work out. Sound like it'd be very cool if successful!

The cones sounds like an interesting idea too, if I've understood it right. It'd be really cool of the cones from the models retained some of the detailing of the area it originates from, warped trim etc. That might be a little too much sculpting though:)

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been a little while since I updated anything, been busy with visitors and some other bits and bobs. Anyway, I've made some slight progress on my Warp Talons...

gallery_106203_14654_18662.jpg

I'd love some feedback here. I'm not super sold on how this is going. I still like the idea of these sort shapes leading back to the portal, but I'm just not sure I'm able to execute it well enough. I think I would need to sculpt over a pin in order to have enough control to manipulate them and I'm not sure I can be bothered with doing that for every one. What I might do instead is do some swirls reaching out of the portal, continuing the spiral path.

gallery_106203_14654_28515.jpggallery_106203_14654_52686.jpg

I started some work on the second portal too. The back of it doesn't look the same as the other one. I quite like the more uniform and "stretched" surface spiral of the first one so I think I will sculpt over part of this one to get a bit more continuity.

How does everyone think its going, would love some feedback. Its not easy and I encouragement is motivating and constructive feedback will stop me from going down a path of wasted time where I have to undo something I've already done. Thanks everyone

I think the new Talons look great, this is an inspired idea and works very well. The back of the new portal is fantastic in my opinion and looks like a vortex of hell fire or pure psychic energy, perhaps this talon has torn through from the realm of Tzeentch?

The two portals look good together, so I see no need to alter the most recent.

I'm loving the portals,  though I understand your concerns. Fire and effects can be a witch to sculpt, its that decision between how much detail you want in the sculpt and how much you plan on painting. The sculpt so far looks great fro painting. A couple drybrushes and some washes and they should look great.  Its keeping that end goal- "Am I making too much work for myself to paint as I sculpt?" In mind. I know I cursed myself tremendously while doing the body of my flying spider, Ms. Charlotte.  I just got into the sculpting zone with the headphones on and went, not thinking about what challenges I might present to myself when I had to paint it. But from here it looks like you have a nice balance going.  I can see how its labor intensive, that might seem to me to be the biggest drawback for a unit. Otherwise, I think they rock and I'm probably going to have to steal the idea some day.

I think the portals are great and wouldn't worry about any differences in symmetry or anything else; the warp did it :) For the effect of the talons leaving, what about ripples on a pond? Kind of a wave front propagating away from them, which you could angle towards the parts still exiting as if the wave was refracting. So the warp talon is bursting through a membrane between the warp and reality that behaves like some kind of multidimensional fluid.

Your sculpting skills are top notch, I honestly don't see what you'd be unsure of. There's so much implied movement and action in these it's insane. Love the idea of the Raptors still materializing from the Warp Rifts and the energy or what have you trailing them. 

I've managed to get a bit more done on my Warp Talons despite mostly focusing on this duel model I'm working on. You guys seem to think the warp drag on his body looks ok, so I've done a few more on the first Talon to see how it looks.

gallery_106203_14654_40181.jpggallery_106203_14654_61032.jpg

and here is the front of the second warp portal...

gallery_106203_14654_19609.jpg

as always, C&C is super welcome!

man... I got a lot of feedback this time. cool...

@Pearson73

Cool, thank you very much! Haven't made any alterations yet. Maybe I'll do another review when I have finished all 5 so I have a better idea of what I want.

@Rednekkboss

Hey man, yeah... I think the ship of too much work has sailed, but I sort of all ready knew that before I started. Lets just say, I probably wont have a unit of warp Talons bigger than 5. Who knows, maybe in time I'll forget how much work this is. Hey can you give me a link to that flying spider? sounds cool :biggrin.:

@The_Stray_Idea

Thanks! all this positivity is really motivating and very helpful for projects like this.

@Biohazard

Oh cool, well welcome to the thread Biohazard! it would be nice if you became a regular and I hope that I haven't peaked and that all my projects become a bit dull after these! Glad you like the possessed, there will be more of them at some point but obviously the focus is on the Talons for now. Cool, well because of yours and the advice of some others, I'm leaving the warp drag (as I've decided to call it for lack of a better word) and see how it looks when its finished, thanks for the feedback.

@Achinadav

Ha ha ha, I know what you mean about the inexplicable nature of chaos but I dont want to have to rely on "CHAOS!" to be the reason behind parts of my model people dont understand. also...

I think the portals are great and wouldn't worry about any differences in symmetry or anything else; the warp did it :smile.: For the effect of the talons leaving, what about ripples on a pond? Kind of a wave front propagating away from them, which you could angle towards the parts still exiting as if the wave was refracting. So the warp talon is bursting through a membrane between the warp and reality that behaves like some kind of multidimensional fluid.

...I read that a few times, and I know it can be really hard to describe a non uniform 3 dimentional shape but it reads like you have been staring into the portals for too long and lost your mind. Im going to assume you didnt and it makes perfect sense to you... any chance you could draw your idea and show me?

@Duskraider

Wicked, thanks man. Really pleased you like them, for now I will just keep going as I am then. I dont want to have to take a step backwards if I dont need to so for now this is how they will look and I'll review them again a bit later on if I have any concerns. Feel free to slap me about the face again if I decide to burn them because they aren't behaving like otherworldly, emotional material, "realistically" enough.

@Hushrong

A kind of magic full of colours and distorted, emerging warp entities?...

R-4221112-1413445453-6141.jpeg.jpg

...Maybe my warp talons need orange and yellow jackets.

@Achinadav

Ha ha ha, I know what you mean about the inexplicable nature of chaos but I dont want to have to rely on "CHAOS!" to be the reason behind parts of my model people dont understand. also...

I think the portals are great and wouldn't worry about any differences in symmetry or anything else; the warp did it :smile.: For the effect of the talons leaving, what about ripples on a pond? Kind of a wave front propagating away from them, which you could angle towards the parts still exiting as if the wave was refracting. So the warp talon is bursting through a membrane between the warp and reality that behaves like some kind of multidimensional fluid.

...I read that a few times, and I know it can be really hard to describe a non uniform 3 dimentional shape but it reads like you have been staring into the portals for too long and lost your mind.  Im going to assume you didnt and it makes perfect sense to you... any chance you could draw your idea and show me?

Sorry, didn't mean to be opaque. I spend quite a lot of time thinking about fluid dynamics and have been known to enjoy four dimensional geometry (its fun! honest). I don't think I could draw it, but I might be able to explain better.

There are some lovely images of capillary waves on wikipedia. What I was thinking was that you could start of putting ripples coming out from where the raptors are still emerging, but distort them away from the very circular shapes on that wikipedia page. So they might look like they're traveling across a surface that isn't flat. You could link that to the excellent idea/suggestion of having streamers of warp stuff trailing back from the raptors by having the streamers spiral and connect with the propagating capillary waves.

Does that help?

Although, your most recent pictures are such works of art that I think you should ignore by waffling and carry on as you are.

Edited by Achinadav

• 4 weeks later...

Well... it feels like its been an absolute AGE since I've updated this. I haven't done much to my warp portals but I also havent been completely inactive. For those of you that haven't noticed (and might be interested), I did take part in a competition, which was one of my weeks... then I was on holiday for like 2 weeks... now I'm renovating the bathroom in my house with my dad... which sounds like it would take up a load of my time. It has. I've taken we week off work so I can work on it every day, its like my new full time job for a week... however, no toilet or shower means the kids cant be here... so they are staying with my wife and mother somewhere else... which means MY EVENINGS ARE MINE.

What does that mean? It means I have started to concentrate on a new time sensitive project. One of my gift projects that I like to do to (I've done a few), this one will be for Christmas for someone that doesn't frequent Bolter, I don't think, so I feel pretty safe sharing it and looking for guidance from those of you that know your way around this sort of thing.

My friend runs a Khorne army, Daemons and CSM. He knows about one of my projects as I descussed it with him as a possibility, to Convert his Renegade Knight. The other project I appreciate won't be to everyone's preference, but he has a sense of humour and I wanted to surprise him with something... I'll get to that after some of my Knight progress Pics...

gallery_106203_14654_46047.jpggallery_106203_14654_18677.jpg

gallery_106203_14654_16840.jpg

So those are progress pics of the knight running. Its going to be a melee knight so it only seems appropriate that it would be charging into battle like a child chasing an ice cream truck. Its a right pain but I hope it will be worth it. Annoyingly I have to re-adjust all those pistons to be the right length. Making them shorter isn't too bad but its a right faff making them longer. My plan so far is to run a pin up through the piston and green stuff around the pin. At least until I have a chance to find some appropriate thickness tubing. To give the foot a more natural and dynamic look I'm bending the toes a bit. My plan is to build up the scenic base and have the first toe making a huge impact in the floor from the knight slamming into it full sprint.

Next up, the cockpit...

gallery_106203_14654_28752.jpggallery_106203_14654_18962.jpg

gallery_106203_14654_30775.jpg

So I've seen a bunch of people doing cockpits before even though you cant see them... while I really appreciate their work its not really my thing, simply because (despite it being an awesome idea) I simply don't have time time to do the VISIBLE parts of the model. However, I want there to be no mistaking my my friends knight is a servant of the Blood God so I want the hatch to be open and the insane pilot to be leaning out of the cockpit in a badass "I'm coming for you" pose. What does that mean... I dont know yet... I guess we will soon see. What I do have so far is a seat, I think I saw Krautscientist using sentinel cockpits in his Armigers but I dont have any of those knocking about and I just noticed I have been hammering my bank account so I have to cut spending a bit. For my seat, I took the part of the knight that holds the head, flipped it upside down and cut it to fit in the body of the knight. I like how it looks and I figure I'm going to have so many cables coming out of it that most of it will be covered, I just needed a back rest to be visible behind the psycho driving this thing.

lastly I have made an effort to work on one of the weapons...

gallery_106203_14654_31106.jpggallery_106203_14654_22733.jpg

I saw this piece of Khorne armour plating from one of the things I bought (skull cannon) and instantly thought... that looks about the right size for the knights fist. To my delight, it was. I used some little spike things to add claws to the fingers after a bit of shaping, and the thumb I used one of my Warp Talons's jump pack fins.

I'm flitting around from one part of this knight to another with ideas and a vague direction of where I'm heading but I would love to get some feedback from you guys, esspecially those of you who are players/collectors of all things Bloody and Skully. I want a really honest perspective from some Khorne heads out there, this isnt my mini and I want it too look awesome for my friend.

All comments, thoughts, feelings, critasisms, ideas, etc. are welcome. Thanks guys.

oh wait... bonus material. I love surprises, and even though he isnt seeing any of the progress on the knight, he knows I am converting it. What he doesnt know is I'm also making him a new Lord of Khorne. Specifically a Khornate Terminator Lord in a Bass Wheelchair of Khorne and at some point wearing a Tartan blanket of Khorne. Skulls for the Mobilty Throne, Blood for the Blood Elders.

gallery_106203_14654_14636.jpggallery_106203_14654_48139.jpg

I know this is all a far cry from my usual Tzeentch fueled projects but... Embrace Change. Hope your all keeping well and hobbying is good.

Wheelchair of khorne you say? It'd better have at least one mechanical chainsword arm. It's a crazy idea but I have a hunch that it'll turn out cool.

I'm a bit jealous of that knight fist. I've been thinking about that skull think bit for that specific purpose, it looks sweet! And the thumb looks great too, I can't figure out exactly how you got that raptor thing to fit like that. I'll have to step my game up.

Any ideas for the head yet?

Edited by ElDuderino

Oh feel free to use any of my ideas, I haven't taken copyright out on them yet :wink: .  I got the Skull Cannon cheap on ebay and i cant believe how many useful conversion parts are on that thing... never mind the 2 free blood letter and herald.  For the fingers of the fist I cut off the pads to make them narrow, cut them backand then added the 3 spikes that come with the Skull Cannon (I will smooth out the transition with green stuff, for the thumb I took off the pad and then just added the fin to extend it. I'll try to take a better photo of it when I have a chance with a complete fin for comparison.  All I had to do to fit the armoured back to the fist was trim the middle knuckle and also shave a bit on the armour around the thumb joint, I love how it fits.

I wasn't planning on arming the Brass Wheelchair, but I was thinking of giving the Lord a Power Sword and Chainfist or Powerfist combo. It will basically function as a lord in Termie armour but I want it too look dangerous and funny at the same time. Like... ha ha, look at him... no I don't want to be near him. 

Edited by Pandoras Bitz Box

Wow, I have to say that’s a fairly ingenious way to give the impression of a throne mechanicum inside the Knight! It was myself that used the Sentinel cockpits in the Armigers. :tu: With you using that part there what do you plan to do with the massive gap behind the head now? Also what plans do you have for the head and Pilot? I really like the work on the fist, I’ve used the same plate on my gallants fist. :tu:

I have to say I’m loving the work on the Khorne Lord as well, the wheelchair looks awesome so far. :D Extra kudos if you could add a small flesh hound pet for him :D

That knight fist is looking great, perfect fit for the back of the hand. I'm looking forward to that foot smashing into the ground, I've seen you do this before on your big Ad Mech Robots of course.

Khorne in a wheelchair...obviously. I've tried to stop asking why and just play along these days. It did remind me of a model from a WD I must have read 25 years ago or so. So I googled it to try to help ease this guy into the canon and try to help with inspiration.

Hidden Content
139ef065-8b2d-4161-8b4b-49ab3cab60fa.jpe

It's an original blood slaughterer. It's even got a chainaxe that I think you were thinking of putting on your guy.

Biohazard

"Extra kudos if you could add a small flesh hound pet for him"

I had the exact same idea, I think it must be because of this guy...

Hidden Content
155745dc-de26-4cbd-8f43-15b2ac671036.jpe

@Biohazard

Oh sorry man! I thought I saw it somewhere... I still feel like it was on Krautscientist's blog but I have seen him credit a lot of people with ideas he has used so maybe he got it from you! Or maybe it was another case of convergent Kitbashing like the Skull Cannon armoured fist, I mean that piece is just perfect right? Super glad you decided to join the party, Its good to get a few fans and experienced hobbyists with some experience with Khorne to check this out. As for the neck... well thats the question right? You cant really see that stuff anyway normally, and as far as I'm concerned, the only point in it is to allow the models head to turn. If I just want to make an awsome looking immobile model though I dont have to worry about that, so I was thinking of having a load of cables coming out to support the head... like, a lot. we'll see. As for what the head is made of... I'm looking at these parts.

gallery_106203_14654_13207.jpg

I dont know how yet but I see potential in these. I'm probably going to going to go with the the lower jaw and monster face plate, but the existing mask looks kind of canine so I might do something with that.

the pilot...

gallery_106203_14654_52144.jpg

this guy screaming and holding some chain weapons. not sure exactly how I'm executing all that yet but this is kind of what I was imagining.

The Flesh Hound pet sounds like an awesome idea... hmm... not sure how I will do that with no hound parts, but I might see what I can do!

@Krakendoomcool

Ha ha, super retro... I'm going to use some wheels of the Skull Cannon and make some smaller wheels for the front. Cheers for the Pet reference as well... I have no idea how I'm going to do that :huh.:

Cheers for the input guys.

Its a hand from the AoS helbrute thing. I Ebayed it after it first came out i think, i wanted the torso for my WIP Tzeentch Daemon Prince. Check put McGibs Thread on the Hall of Honour, he has used ot to make a cool Karanak.

I made some decent headway tonight, found a solution for plugging the neck hole but its a but late so i'll sort pics tomorrow.