PBB's Thousand Sons, Daemons and Chaos // Nurgle Knight

Interested in seeing this come together. The bits for the head look very suitable for a Khornate knight. The pilot trying to charge out is also a neat feature. Could he be charging out but cables plugged into his body keeps him from truly exiting his steed? So as he tries to rush toward enemies and swing his axe the knight, still linked to him, just mimics his moves?

Yeah thats my plan Hushrong, to have a load of cables plugging into his back and arms.  It will help cover the gaps inside the cockpit as well. I dont think I will do the Knight mimicking his movements though, i did think about it but I kid of want him doing that war cry pose and I want the Knight to be in a much more dynamic charge. I havent had a chance to upload photos yet as renovating the bathroom is taking up more time each day and today is the last day so we need to get as much done as we can before my family arrives. I'll try to post some of my progress up tonight.  Cheers for the interest!

• 1 month later...

I've been out of action a little while now, like 6 weeks I think. Stuff I've had to get on with at home has been getting me down and I totally lost the rhythm, not touching any hobby stuff for this whole time. I've been trying to get back into it now a bit at a time, based some minis, posted on twitter, wrote a blog post about my funk and trying to get the ball rolling again...

Well last night I actually managed to get some stuff done working on my friends knight again. I feel like soon I'll actually be able to put the arms on and start posing, getting a better idea of how it looks. For now though, here is some work on one of the arms and the head.

gallery_106203_14654_7281.jpg

So he is obviously having two melee weapons... not necessarily the best load out but absolutely the most flavoursome. I like the lord of skulls axe but didnt want to just give it the whole thing, so hear it is grafted onto the sword. Ill probably add more detail to make the connection transition a bit better.

gallery_106203_14654_9793.jpggallery_106203_14654_20203.jpg

gallery_106203_14654_8690.jpg

I liked the lower jaw for the face but couldnt find a way to attatch it, so I looked for something I could use to simulate a jaw line... and that happed to be a knights head which seems sort of twisted and appropriate. Imagine the dormant knight with its plain face plate, only to wake up, twist around and turn into this horrifying, screaming beast face.

I'm quite happy with it so far anyway, obviously a way to go but after doing nothing for weeks, this felt pretty good. let me know what you guys think or if you have any ideas.

Thanks all!

@Vairocanum

Thanks buddy, I haven't worked on that Terminator Lord much yet, but now my hiatus is (hopefully) over I'll try to get on that.

Edited by Pandoras Bitz Box

That looks great! The knight faceplate threw me off a bit but i see where you're going, it's a pretty cool idea and probably won't be very noticable once attatched to the torso anyways. is it possible to move it just a bit forwards? The lower jaw looks a bit long and thin atm, i think it'd look more powerful if it didn't protrude so much from the jawline provided by the faceplate. IMHO of course:)

Can we get a pic of it in dry-fitted to the torso?

Cool, thanks for the feedback El Duderino, I see what you mean. I will be adding a little bit more to the lower jaw although I'm not that bothered about it looking too long and thin... look at a crocodile, but what I might do is ad a little bit of material between the two masks to give the head a bit more volume and make it less flat. Can I dry fit the head? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... no.

At the moment this is my idea for fitting the head. Cables.

I dont really have a specific method it mind but i can see a lot of green stuff tentacles and guitar strings being used on this guy. I'm thinking a neck entirely composed of cables, so ... I cant really dry fit it. what I might do is pin it in place with some paper clips, and then thats probably how I will start adding the cables... I dont really know at this point. its a very fluid plan. I played about a bit with it last night, but I didnt pay any attention to the head. I just focused on posing it, so now I have a better idea of how it will look over all...

gallery_106203_14654_28280.jpggallery_106203_14654_62.jpg

I also did a little more work on the axe to unify the two main components. dont worry, I intend to do more work on them... I have no idea what yet though.

gallery_106203_14654_17874.jpg

Let me know what you guys think, I could do with some guidence!

thanks everyone.

That charging pose looks great. The fist open in the rear hand looks just right and you will be able to see all that detail you did.

A dog’s head could be a good direction to go in since it’s World Eaters and the shape is going that way anyway. With lots of cables it should really free up the posing and positioning. The pose so far is a bit ‘head down’ but you could have a slightly longer neck to see that head.

Cables are good idea, it's a bit hard to make it removable though. I'd fix it in place before building up tentacles, cables and such.

Good work on the pose, it looks viscous!

And I love the overkill of keeping the tip of the chainsword and the teeth added to the circular hole. It seems like there's a separate length of chain running there, where it'll never do any good except if the axe is used for stabbing. Which of course is awesomely khornate:D

Brill, thanks for taking an interest guys, this is EXACTLY what I want. This is a present for someone else so I want it to melt his stupid little face off when he see's it. Feedback is immense and hopefully I'll get more throughout. I'm happy to make reasonable changes, timeframe permitting but I have a few months so should be ok if I work on it regularly.

@Krakendoomcool

After reading these comments and Elduderinos previous one I think I'll be revisiting the head design slightly, but I did want it to look very bestial. I know what you mean about the head down situation, I really wanted that charging into battle type feel and a huge part of that was the pilot getting himself at the front of the charge, but thats one of the reasons I've decided to go for cabling for the neck, so that I can have quite a long neck that brings the head low and forward facing. I may even open it wide as if to snap at the models in base contact.  Glad you like the running pose, I'm quite pleased with it and it did take some effort because of the pistons that attach the leg to the foot. I think it might be leaning a touch too much to its right, but its fractional and the effort to change the angle now wouldn't be worth it. a lot of this model has been a very "no guts, no glory" approach, where I have to do it to see it, and then its done, so I cant do much about it.

@Elduderino

Brill, Im more than happy with that description of his charge. Yeah, I'm just going to get the head fixed into the position I want and then just start filling gaps with cabling. I'm going to look at long animal necks for an idea on the muscles and stuff to see if I can somehow roughly replicate it. Im really glad you like the Axe. I had the idea to leave the tip teeth on when fitting the axe blade, then the continuation of that was just an after thought. I just extended the hole to help it like both pieces were built together. when I looked at that hold I thought... theres not much room for those teeth at the end to go anywhere... then I figured I would just pop them in there as a bit of, seeing the guts of the machine. I want to add a lot more, potentially take more away... As he already has a Kytan, I don't really want the two standing together and it just being super obvious that its the exact same weapon.

@Noigrim

Thanks, glad you like the run. yeah I was looking at the arrows and deciding what to do with them, I might try to use them in a bit of a chaos star or something. maybe not. I need to do a lot of cosmetic work on it.

@Hushrong

Super glad you're into this man. The pilot is one of the big points for me, I wanted this insane bastard to be taking taking the "drive closer so I can hit them with my sword" to the next level. He is also going to have a load of cables leading from his skin into the cock pit. I need to arm him appropriately though.  Your idea with the helmet is awesome... I think I might have to rip it apart after all these ideas. I want to make it a little less flat, flesh out the jaw a bit... I might keep the face plate jaw but modify it so it isnt obviously one of those, or If its the best thing to use then I might make that the mask the beast face is busting out of.  I saw that Augustus had used part of that mask as housing for a different mask and it looks really cool, it was the first thing I thought of when you mentioned it, but his looks designed that way, I want mine to be ripping through it.

I’m looking forward to seeing more done to that pilot. Cables and flesh bits tugging at him as he tried to rush forward and his knight copying his charge into battle would look awesome.

I do think the faceplate would look pretty cool with the snout/jaw full on bursting out. Or at least pushing the face plate out of the way as it grew or it is still loosely hanging on still. If you want to have that much blessed mutation. Might look good with the pose you have for the knight too.

Ok, so I've done a bit more... and god damn you Hushrong for suggesting that the knight should be copying the pilot! I did consider that, but that would be quite a lot of effort to adjust his arms, but also... the pilots are normally seated so the knights are obviously not working like that, so I am just going to plug cables into his spine and brain and he can be controlling it with his rage. I've taken the advice on the "Dog head and changed its design slightly, also wired it in so I can play with its position relative to the body. This took up most of my time, the only other thing I managed to do was glue a metal plate under the base because the mass of the body was making it super springy and I was worried the foot or base would break. Anyway, here is the head...

gallery_106203_14654_40857.jpggallery_106203_14654_27532.jpg

So I've jammed something in the back of the mouth to open the head up and I peeled open the face plate to flower as the beast face busts out of it. To be honest though its hard work to tell what the hell it is now that its been opened and damaged.

gallery_106203_14654_31514.jpggallery_106203_14654_65007.jpg

gallery_106203_14654_7715.jpg

gallery_106203_14654_1842.jpggallery_106203_14654_22012.jpg

What do you guys think, does that look right to you and ready for me to figure out what in the warp I'm planning on doing with cables? Right, I better get to bed... catch you guys again soon for some more Khornate Knight fun.

@Elduderino

Yeah man thats the kind of thing I was thinking! I had Angron in mind... but you know... more monster, robot, daemon dog faced. Yeah though, thats amazing thanks!

The split open faceplate looks great, it looks a bit cluttered atm but i feel like some contrast between flesh and armor will take care of that nicely once it's painted.

I would however prefer a slightly shorter neck though. I feel like that length might come across a bit sauropod-like if the neck is slim, or make the head look kinda small if you're aiming for a more cone-like shape for the neck.

I know what you mean about the neck Elduderino, the main reason for it being that long is that I can make the paperclip shorter but I cant make it longer! So I thought I would start on the long side and see how it looked, but yeah... when I imagined it, it was shorter than that. the other thing I'm think about doing to the knight to chaos it up a bit in addition to gluing some more bits on is having that weird but cool splitting metal with bone/metal poking through. I saw the upgrade plates on Augustus's knight and thought they looked wicked and potentially doable with green stuff.

gallery_106203_14654_35927.jpg

So I was thinking about adding that to the large plain looking plates, maybe also the sword arm and have the splits going across the sword blade and Axe, helping to unify the two parts again and make the axe look a bit more different to the original. Along the same vein as stuff busting through the armour, I was thinking about adding a bit of asymmetry and on one of the shoulders having a load of metal shards or jagged girders poking out through sort of like those cars in mad max

gallery_106203_14654_7495.jpg

...Well maybe not to THAT degree, but something to give it a more interesting silhouette and a bit more CHAOS.

What do you guys think? Thanks for all the help!

I adjusted then neck a tiny bit to make it shorter but because of the design of the head, it forces it to remain at a cartain angle... which means that the connections would be at an awkward angle if I bring the head too close to the body. Elduderios point about the neck looking too long i totally get, but I'm giong to try and circumvent that by giving it enough volume so it doesnt look to weird and skinny. I have no idea if it will work, but I just cant tell whats going on until I actually try an idea out. So here is the neck with some of the tubes attached. My idea is to flesh it out with guitar wire and then fill the gaps with the much more workable green stuff cables made with the tentacle maker.

gallery_106203_14654_88174.jpg

do you think it looks any better? I'm starting to like it more and more... but is that my subconscious' way of avoiding extra work? Im reminded of art college, doing designs, settling for the first one and only doing more to fill a sketchbook. Not ideal.

Ok, once again... in the deep end. I feel like I dont have much room to "experiment" and I have to kind of just go for it and undo hours of work if it doesnt go well. So last night I did this...

gallery_106203_14654_26375.jpggallery_106203_14654_5374.jpg

gallery_106203_14654_21861.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how this has come out, and I've had a lot of positive feedback on Twitter, just wondering what you guys think, especially those of you who have converted your own knights or seen a lot of them. I think my next step is going to be working on the pilot and seeing what I can do with him. Hope you like it guys.

This is looking great. Different thicknesses of guitar string, different plates used on the tentacle maker. The tentacle maker is born for a project like this. I get a princess mononoke feel when I see tentacles like this, you can almost see them writhing.

Ps if you wanna go with dusk raider’s skulls idea I have a box of skulls so have literally hundreds of spares.

RIght, so I feel like I've done enough worth showing now. I took Duskraider's awesome idea under advisement and thanks Krakendoom, but I did buy some skulls specifically for this project. I was making a Khornate Knight after all... I would have been insane to assume that I would not somehow be using at least 20 skulls on this project.

So I did some jamming of Skulls into cables... it was a bit of a pain after putting the cables in, but fortunately there were enough reasonable gaps, decently spaced for me to get some in. I did have to sand some of the skulls a little to get them in the nooks though.

gallery_106203_14654_9812.jpggallery_106203_14654_95956.jpg

After I jammed the skulls of many unfortunate individuals into the neck of the machine I decided to try and deal with the pilot, which I think I've been putting off for fear of not doing it well enough. There were a few things I needed to address. One were his weapons, I chopped his hands off so I could 40k up his weaponry, my original plan was to take the two original weapons and try to graft some chain teeth onto the blades as Krakendoom has told me he has done with his space wolf axes in the past. The other thing is that I have previously showed how I put a sort of chair in the cockpit, made from the backing for the knights head... unfortunately it still lacks a floor and 3 other walls. Im not too bothered about the floor, it will be very dark in there. There is one minor issue... When looking at the Pilot from the back... it becomes apparent I may have cut a LITTLE too much off his legs as I was prepping him for his new ride...

gallery_106203_14654_19276.jpggallery_106203_14654_16210.jpg

So now it wasn't just a case of building walls, but I also had to either sculpt/kitbash some organic/bionic/amputee legs for him... or... another idea occured to me. I could just hide them, but with what. I'm thinking that this devout follower and angry man of Khorne is going to want to keep him some trophies, and as previously mentioned I do have a few skulls knocking about...

gallery_106203_14654_16695.jpggallery_106203_14654_1941.jpg

So yeah, I just filled his cockpit with skulls. That's saved me from constructing most of the walls too. Now I just have to disguise the absence of walls enough in the few gaps that are left. My original plan to hide the gaps was to have loads of cables in there, that was before the skull hoard. I decide to carry on with this idea a little bit as well as wire my pilot into his throne.

gallery_106203_14654_19443.jpg

Finally his weapons. I didnt bother just grafting teeth from one weapon to another, I decide to take a bit of one of my spare Raptor weapons and replace a chunk of the axe blade with it... then I realised I also had to do a power supply transfer... then I could also see that the teeth stopped too early... so I had to transfer two teeth anyway. In the end that axe head ended up being made of 4 parts. I hope it was worth it, it still needs a little tidying. in contrast for his other hand I ditched his knife all together and decided to give him something more simple, I found a sledgehammer and attached the knife tip to the back of it like a pick, so it looks like an aggressive maintenance tool.

gallery_106203_14654_34354.jpggallery_106203_14654_28240.jpg

So what do you guys think, is it going the right kind of direction? is something not working? im getting so involved with it I cant tell what ideas are good anymore. I'm happy with it, apart from the angle he is holding the Axe at, it could do with a slight change but to do that I would have to make the handle shorter and i don't really want to and i think i can live with it.

thanks for your feedback guys its really appreciated!