PBB's Thousand Sons, Daemons and Chaos // Nurgle Knight

Haha I love that you filled the interior with skulls! Taking the "drive me closer" meme to another level, this is shaping up to be one of the most khornate models ever:D

Plus, there's now a reason for the skulls tangled up in the cables, they obviously fell out from the cockpit.

Apart from being a hit funny in that OTT 40k way, it also looks quite nice. The neck is turning out great and I like the cables almost being torn out of their sockets by the pilot.

Blessed Blooded Skulls that looks amazing!!

Catching up on the updates and was wondering 'why did you place the head there' for a moment. Seeing the wires and skulls added just made that awesome. Kinda has me thinking it is like a giraffe with a long neck where the herbivore uses its height to eat vegetation in high trees. This is just the bloody opposite where the knight doesn't have to crouch down to eat the corpses at its feet.

@Duskraider

Really glad you like the skulls, it was an awesome idea and they didnt go in TOO badly after some fiddling, really should have stuck them in with the cables though. I obviously want to continue the skull theme but I'll get to that in a second.

@Elduderino

Thanks, I'm glad you like how the neck has gone. I did at on stage consider giving this thing a tail but I've knocked that on the head for now... and pretty much for god, as I don't have the resources to make one that would look any good, maybe that would make it look a bit too far away from the original model anyway. I'm not too worried actually about how the skulls got in the neck, I think it looks awesome and I either figured that the Pilot or blood soaked tech priests would have jammed them into the neck pre-battle or that they would supernaturally form there as the war machine kills in the name of the Blood God. Its funny you mention them falling out thouh, I was thinking of having a few trapped behind the neck plate from falling out of the cockpit.

Also after you mentioned the cables being torn out of that guy, I was so happy with the comment since its what I wanted it to look like... I got a bit carried away and spent way too long doing this...

gallery_106203_14654_583.jpg

I tried to make a fraying cable... I felt like I was going to go blind focusing on that area for so long without a magnifying glass. Magnifying glass on a clamp is going on my Christmas list.

@Hushrong

Hey man, super thrilled that your into the look! I'm really pleased with how it turned out, I was worried that I would have to go really far to find out if it looks any good only to find out it looks stupid. I'm so glad you made a Giraffe reference too... I fully intend to give a name to the pilot and machine, but "The Giraffe" is how I will always refer to this mid game.

Not a huge update from last time, I added some shoulder guards and some rear armour to the Knight.

gallery_106203_14654_22823.jpggallery_106203_14654_15041.jpg

Now I know that those skull shoulders are considerably smaller than the usual ones that come with the knight, but I really feel like the pose is an essential part of this model and it turns out that the position of the left arm is impossible with the bigger guards. What do you guys think about them. I have glued them on but I could remove them, Im not that bothered about repairing any damage. I got so used to it without shoulders at all that to be honest it looked weird with the big guards on. This way it looks more mobile and brawler like to me. maybe that's just me though?

Ok now I need some advice, I previously mentioned that one of the things I might do with the large featureless armour plates (back, legs, etc.) I might try to sculpt on the weird boney type ridges breaking through the armour like on the Decimator and Renegade Knight upgrade kit. Since then I've had another idea though... I have more skulls and skulls are a bit of a theme of this model (for obvious reason)... I'm thinking about haveing skulls breaking their way through the armour instead. I could group a few together, filed them down on the backs, then buid up cracked armour around them as if the machine is generating skulls in its armour... is that a good idea? I cant tell if its harder or easier than the ridges idea. Its just different.

...oh also... any ideas on what to put in the back of the Knights mouth? should it have a tongue, mechanical parts... ... ...skulls?

ok guys, thats about it for now, once I get some feedback or run out of patience I will crack on with trying to make more of the knight unique and interresting. it almost feels like the home straight.

Thanks everyone

Admittedly, I wasn't too keen on the pilot launching from the cockpit. But you have won me over to the idea. One idea I would give is perhaps have chains attached to him as if the Dark Mechanicum is attempting to restrain him in the machine and he's breaking loose. 

As for the pauldrons... hmm... they are quite small. Is there any way to incorporate portions of the original pauldrons into them? Perhaps cut out the middle and attach the sides to the ones you have on the model now.

As for the armour detail, I like the ideas of skulls pushing through of perhaps being stored in cracks and whatnot. You should perhaps use the idea of the ridges ala the Decimator & FW Knight but instead of having the ossified ridges in the middle you'd have the skulls instead. That way you could fashion them into a icon or pattern if you desire while still keeping the skull theme.

Lastly, for the back of the head... I would suggest going mechanical. Thus far there's really nothing organic on the machine. I'd keep with the mechanical theme you've got going. Perhaps if you have some or don't mind ordering them, some kind of watch gears. They're cheap in bulk on eBay. You may be able to come up with something cool and use them elsewhere on the model as well if you desire. 

@Pearson73

Cheers buddy... after I made that cable I sort of regretted it... not because of how it turned out, but because of the time it took and how my eyes felt. I thought I was going to go blind trying to poke those wires into that green stuff.

@Duskraider

Your becoming a bit of a shareholder in this project! Im glad you like the pilot now... at least Im glad you didnt tell me you hated it at this point because it would be a lot more work to undo! Consider your feedback considered and acted upon. I really like those skull plates but no where on this guy really looks right with them and I was worried they looked a bit small on the shoulders. After staring at it for so long with nothing on the shoulders though anything seemed big enough, I'm grateful for the second opinion. Anyway it took me a little while but I finally came up with an idea I think looks ok, more in proportion and allows the arms to remain in the pose I want...

gallery_106203_14654_26267.jpg

I just cut one of the Pauldrons in half and so now they are like quarter guards that only really protect the joints from the front... but since this thing is only ever running toward the enemy, not really that important.

gallery_106203_14654_17445.jpggallery_106203_14654_58001.jpg

Also, I havent glued any of this in place but I have offered up some chains which I think is a really cool idea. not sur how I want to wrap them around him yet or where I want them to connect to in the cockpit.

gallery_106203_14654_21539.jpggallery_106203_14654_50670.jpg

As for the mouth of the Machine, the lower jow does actually biological, but I guess I could attatch some bits to it and green stuff it to look like the teeth had been cast into a metal jaw... I'll have to figure that out. Inside I agree, I think mechanical and I have a couple of ideas for what to pop inside the mouth.

Thats all for now, I'm planning on working on some of that cracked armour detailing tomorrow with greenstuff and skulls poking though so hopefully the next update will have some of that going on.

If anyone else wants to give me some feedback and suggestions, you are more than welcome.

Thanks guys

Looks good! I think you could still get away with using the other pauldrons, I'd just bulk them out a but using the stock Knight pauldrons on either side. Like a sandwich with the Lord of Skulls bits in the middle. 

The chains look cool. Originally I was going to suggest just on the arms like shackles, but this looks much cooler and makes the pilot a focal point. 

Yeah, I guess you're right about the bio-flesh parts of the head. Honestly, you could go either way. Leave them fleshy (or bone) and do mechanical parts within the mouth. I almost imagine something  clockwork-ish. Maybe even a spout of some sort that pumps blood into and cascading out of the maw. 

And ha! I wouldn't say I'm a shareholder, I just like helping my frater out when I can. 

Edited by DuskRaider

@Duskraider

I couldn't find a way to integrate the Skull Pauldrons in a good way, so I've just decided to go with the Half Pauldrons. I'm glad you like the chains like that, I'll look at fixing thos on soon. I'm torn how I would like to attach them because I feel like the most interesting way to attach them would make the cockpit a real nightmare to paint. (e.i. having them pass through the open spaces rather than all bunched together, so not allowing much brushing room). I've started to do some work on the plain areas of the armour to break them up, not added any skulls yet, but I will.

gallery_106203_14654_12277.jpggallery_106203_14654_17709.jpggallery_106203_14654_4571.jpg

Just had to scroll back a long way to see my last comment here. I’ve clearly just been commenting in my mind to myself.

Looking great. Skulls are working. Chains do look good the way you’ve done them. I too was imagining cuffs and chains but this is better I think, like he’s bursting out.

Those green stuff scars are good. I was looking and wondering if you’d make a chaos symbol or something out of them. I can see you have made most of the khorne symbol on the shoulder. I think it’s enough to give the impression it’s almost burning through the surface so it’s not completely formed yet. Nice bit of uneasiness there. Chaos!

Hey mate,

as I've said elsewhere, that is some fantastic work on the Knight! Both the cable-neck and mutated/warped head and the whole pilote/cockpit arrangement work really, really well! That's also quite an original take, too, which is always great!

I only have one small suggestion, really: One would be to lose the topknot on the Reaver, as you know, because it just seems a bit tacky, to be honest (but then I have that issue with many chaos topknots, so YMMV). Maybe you could add even more Butcher's Nails-like cabeling in place of it, or some heavy scarring criscrossing the pilot's head, to show how he was crudely implanted with the neural interface to command the Knight?

Hey guys, nice to see a few more of you have joined the party! I havent updated in a little while so lets see what I have to show you...

gallery_106203_14654_6311.jpggallery_106203_14654_10317.jpg

gallery_106203_14654_14755.jpggallery_106203_14654_1143.jpg

So I think for the most part I've finished the green stuffing most of the large surfaces. I might just need to do some tidying here and there or work on any suggestions you might have, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with how that went. its not exactly like the Forge World armour plates and at times I was thinking... man, do these look like gros nurgle splits in flesh? but i figure when I paint it (I've foolishly suggested I paint it for him too), If I paint those ridges as bone or brass and the splits as the armour then the strange fleshiness of it might be overcome somewhat (?).

Here are some pics of the thing as a whole so far.

gallery_106203_14654_52387.jpg

gallery_106203_14654_18427.jpggallery_106203_14654_15758.jpg

Eagle eyed viewers among you might have noticed a bit of Green Stuff in the beasties mouth too. A while back I had a discussion with one of you about what to do in his mouth, organic, mechanic... something in between? All that was in the previously was the shoulder ball joint of a big Tyranid arm. It was only there to serve as a way attach the jaw and the head together. well I was looking into the mouth at the end of my hobby session last night and saw I had a little ball of unspent Green Stuff left over that was just going to go to wast otherwise...

gallery_106203_14654_38927.jpg

I can always drill it, but for now I figure I could just paint it brass. :happy.:

As always thanks for the invaluable feedback guys, its a pretty long project so theres always room for change and Im pretty fallible. Hopefully some more updates in the not too distant future...

@Hushrong

Hey thanks, glad you like it! man... that chain. What a pain in the ASS that was to fix in there. Its meant to be under tension right? well apparently gluing chain so its arrow straight as if under tension is challenging... especially when the anchor point for it are in a tiny hole. pretty happy with it now though.

@Krakendoomcool

Thanks man, Im really pleased you think they look ok. Yeah I missed a trick there not making the other scars follow part of an eight pointed star I think. Live and learn eh, feel like invested too much time in these now to go back. I wonder if I could do a bit on the axe... CHAOS.

@Krautscientist

Hey man, thanks for joining in. I've been hoping you and Augustus might lend some sage advice, as I really respect your works. In fact, despite being significantly different, My pilot was inspired by you and Augustus. I never would have bothered making him if I hadn't seen the conversions you guys were doing with your cockpits. Anyway, I'm really pleased you finally spoke up, I didn't realise that much like Krakendoomcool you have been watching and delivering your feedback as some sort of internal monolog! Well no more... and consider your feedback valued, my driver has had a haircut...

gallery_106203_14654_4746.jpg

...and a bit more brain surgery.

I was also thinking of the eight pointed star on the scars, but as it’s World Eaters your fine without those. The eight pointed star being a mark of chaos undivided and World Eaters all being Khorne your golden.

The skull is a great sculpt in the mouth, impressive. As it’s effectively a human face it will come under the most scrutiny from our human eyes and brains. To me it looks happy and not sinister enough. How to fix that? Frowning eye sockets seems to be canon.

Is the friend happy with the decision to paint it for him? Knowing him I would think so. The frater here will appreciate seeing your painting progress I’m sure.

Ps it doesn’t look Nurgle to me, I’m assuming it will be red too so no worries there.

Starting to bring some of the main bits together and finish up some other details...

gallery_106203_14654_106919.jpggallery_106203_14654_16179.jpg

I filled the gaps in the ankle pistons, I had to cut all eight to re position the legs.

gallery_106203_14654_34019.jpggallery_106203_14654_33168.jpg

I added the hip pistons which thankfully as only changed the rotation of the legs and not the outward angle, still fitted perfectly. The pipes at the back though are a very specific shape so I had to replace the whole length with green stuff and salvaging the connectors. I used this opportunity to have the pipes lifted to denote more motion in the knights stride.

Also finally glued on the leg plates.

@Pearson73

Thanks man, I was trying to replicate the forgeworld Chaos Knight upgrades... but it doesn't actually look enough like it for me to be satisfied in that respect. however Im still pretty happy with how they look. The haircut and butchers nails/neurolink wires are courtesy of Krautscientist who apparently has some sort aversion to the chaos topknot. I wasnt that bothered by the hair but I liked the idea, and by friend is a big baldy so now he can pretend he is the driver XD.

@Krakendoomcool

Well its the nature of skulls to look happy just because the shape of the jaw, but I can see what you mean. I think I've actually given the scull a bit of an underbite, so I might be able to get away with making some adjustment by putting a layer over its face. I wasnt super happy with the nose cavity so maybe I'll try to give him some frowny bones too.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Okey dokey, so what have I been up to with this guy... so I finally added the Carapace weapon. I asked the guy who its for what weapon he wanted there, if he had a preference or wanted me to magnetise all the options, but he just picked this one for how it looks (which made my life a bit easier). This is also where I found a home for one of those skull armour plates, it was a really similar profile to the weapon, I just had to widen the inside curve a bit and I really like how it looks.

gallery_106203_14654_283.jpg

The other thing I did was start adding some Teeth/claws to the trim. I had been toying with whether or not I should bother to do this, I do like how it looks on the chaos models but wasnt sure I could pull it off. I saw that Augustus B'rass had done a really effective job of adding teeth to his Nurgle Armigers so that inspired me to actually get on and give it a go.

gallery_106203_14654_17332.jpg

I obviously havent finished them, its the first wave of Green Stuff, I'll the adding the sheeth to the claws that ties them into the armour next. I've been using the Forgeworld Chaos Knight upgrade kit as Reference.

so this is what its looking like over all so far.

gallery_106203_14654_17625.jpg

Oh you can see there I've added the sister skull armour to the chain cleaver to sort of tie it in a bit and also some little teeth things on the end. Oh and I've also adjusted the chains holding him in. I accidentally put them on differently to the way I originally dry fitted them... then thought that the original way just looked better, I didnt like how both chains went over the shoulder together. so I fixed that too.

Hope you guys are enjoying the progress... let me know if I'm posting enough progress, I dont want to be posting and people are like... "this is almost exactly the same", I could always leave bigger gaps. Let me know how what you think, if you have any ideas, a few of you guys have been super helpful so far.

@Wiqid

Thanks a lot man, glad to see you joining in! And seriously, dont worry about trying stuff out. Start smaller... like make a chaos spawn or something, that way its super easy to cover mistakes because... SPAWN! I made one and got to practice fur, sculpted a 3 fingered hand from scratch, put an armpit in his mouth, eyes in his back... it was a really fun and low pressure project. then slowly work your way up to stuff like this. I mean... it does help that this model is for my friend and not for me. He would never try something this elaborate so I think he will be pretty much happy with what ever I churn out, but I am trying to do a good job though, just to satisfy my own... enthusiasm. Give it a go!

Some really cool ideas on this big guy! I have to say the plate added to the missile launcher on top is inspired. I’ve been looking for something to add to my own ones so I’ll be yoinking that idea more than likely.

I really like the way you’ve altered the pilot as well. The top knot didn’t bother me too much but the addition of the butchers nails look great. The new teeth look good as well :tu:

Damn that looks great. What's up with everyone making amazing knights these days:)

All the gs is nice, the "scars" will look pretty sweet once painted. How did you do the teeth? And have you thought about making it look like they burst through the trim? It'd look pretty cool:)

Cool use of that LoS bit on the missile launcher too btw, I love when something just fits like that

@Biohazard

Thanks! Nice to see you come by. Yeah I am really pleased with how that part fitted, I've been itching to use it for ages but I couldnt really find the right place for it anywhere... and if I'm honest I totally forgot about the carapace weapon (to the point where I was planning more conversion to put in the space it was meant to take up!) until I went looking on the sprue for something like ladder rungs! then I had the idea and it was just a case of seeing if I could take off enough material to get the inside curve right without damaging the surface detail at all. I'll look forward to seeing this on one of your projects in future!

@Krautscientist

Small but significant! I'm also genuinely grateful for it even if it did mean that I had to work with some more of those teeny, tiny, pain in the ass wires again. Glad you like the placement of that armour piece too, as I've combed through your projects quite a bit now and admired your savant like ability to find a part that fits rather than make a part that fits, I'll take it as compliment! Also... whats with the war on Topknots anyway? XD

@Elduderino

This is my first really big conversion and I was just following everyone elses lead man! I assume there was some unwritten rule of "go hard or go home". I've been using all of you guys to inspire my efforts so I'm super grateful for that. The teeth? well... funny you mention the teeth... I noticed that you have been on Augustus's thread before I started this reply and if you look up from your reply to him you will find one from me asking the same question the teeth on his Armigers! My original plan was to put little pins in to sculpt onto, but I followed his suggestion of mixing Greenstuff with Milliput (Something I've read about a lot of other people doing before, but in this case I dont think its neccessary with hindsight) and just get on with it! I made a cone, stuck it where I wanted the tooth, smoothed the edges against the armour to help it hold on, wet fingers to get the desired thickness and point, used a silicone shaper to put in the grooves and finally a tool just to get the downward curve right. You also suggested that the teeth come OUT of the trim? well thats exactly what my plan was anyway so I'm happy to reveal my progress!...

gallery_106203_14654_5197.jpggallery_106203_14654_34031.jpg

So that trim is pretty much done there I think, just needs a bit of tidying by scraping or sanding.

these other photos are where I decided to pop some teeth in other places and also start to do the inside of the trim by adding points to it.

gallery_106203_14654_40222.jpggallery_106203_14654_15107.jpg

Glad you're enjoying the project guys! Back again with more soon hopefully...

All my likes sir, you have them. 

I apologize profusely for not going to this thread earlier - and thank you for pointing it out to me. I just went through the whole thing and went like

http://media.giphy.com/media/dBTdpHj6KVEnS/giphy.gif

Because dude.... this is insane. The portal, the creepy spider thing from that movie, and to top it all off an insane Knight conversion are my faves, but there's so much more... 

You're an insanely talented sculptor with the panache to make your creative ideas into reality. It's just a privilege seeing your progress and work. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup: (and consider some things stolen for future projects! :wink:)

Edited by Augustus b'Raass