PBB's Thousand Sons, Daemons and Chaos // Nurgle Knight

Well here are the Raptor and Salamander all painted up...

mg_0202.jpg?w=736

and...

mg_0189.jpg?w=736

I'm really pleased with these guys, it was a lot of fun watching them come together and i'm learning a lot.

Next up I'll be tackling... the Norris Possessed! So I hope that comes out looking half decent and recognisable, time will tell though.

@Vairocanum

Thanks man, yeah I was really happy with these builds and I'm pretty happy with the paint jobs so I hope you like how they came out.

@Krakendoomcool

Yeah I was really pleased with the molten skin on the ironhand, its not perfect but it will do just fine for me, I hope Prometian Painting likes it when he see's it too as it was thanks to him I painted it like that.  The Fire on the Salamander was similar but I am glad I watched that Warhammer TV tutorial on fire, even if mine wasnt quite so simple as a small flame on the Palm of a Tzeentchian Horror.  Now I just have to crack that Norris possessed...

@Elduderino

He ha ha, funnily enough i don't, as far as im concerned, my standard marines are Rubricae. I have a newly realiaed aesthetic to my army which will ne Thousand Sons and their Daemonic Allies/Servents. So my CSM army is going to be all Daemons too. My only basic unit will b Cultits, which do help to fill slots on Detachmemts.

@Apologist

Thank you very much, im really pleased it that Salamander too, i had the idea and then decided to run with it even though i had no idea if i could do it. Its certainly built my confidence in sculpting a bit more.

@Krakemdoomcool

Its funny how many people had no idea that face was there! I always wanted there to be A daemon in the fire so i sculpted that first, but obviously, while it was just geen stuff or undercoated white, it was less obvious.

Ok so i have a couple more to do but otherwise i think im going to start winding down on these guys. As a potential entry for Azazels July challenge im considering doing my Warp Talons. I did a little work last nght and i'll pot some updates on the project soon... So i guess im going to need to rename the thread too to be slightly more encompasing of my army.

...Maybe "PBB's Thousand Sons and Daemonic Allies"?

What do you guys think? then this thread will be for my Thousand Sons, CSMs and Daemons WIP.

@Elduderino

While that's flattering for you to suggest, I've had enough ego stroking from all the kind things people have said without me doing it myself with self proclamations of awesomeness XD

@Vairocanum

Thanks man, was really looking forward to doing that Raptor and I think he turned out ok. I have one more on my table that i've started painting and Krakendoomcool is also painting one up for me, but am putting less energy into them right now with another project starting. I'm not finished with them though...

Ok, so I've been on this Possessed Train for a while now, I cant remember how long its been since I worked on a non-possessed model! I think its in the region of a couple of 6 - 8 weeks though... Anyway, I'm up to 12 finished possessed and in the near future I hope to get that up to 15, and eventually I'd like to have 20 total for the option of a full unit. Right now, I'm very slowly painting my Norris Possessed so he will suddenly turn up as a bit of a surprise while I work on my newest project, my Warp Talons.

So I've had these Warp talons for at least 18 months... possibly it was a christmas before that, I cant even remember. Anyway, When I had them, as with many of my gifted minis, I decided to do something fun with them. Essentially, all they are are Daemonic Raptors, but with the models... they just dont look different enough from your standard raptor. clawed feet and a variety of lightening claws... but as Chaos is generally pretty spikey anyway, a few more spikey spikes just didnt embody the Warp Talons enough for me. So in the fluff for these guys, they physically jump through the warp... That's what I wanted.

This concepts has been in the background ever since I got them, I even put them together leaving off the bits that would not be on the final model. They just sat in my little workstation, grey and untouched though. UNTIL NOW. Thanks to Azazels regular monthly challenges I have a means to force some of these neglected models into the production line. So my goal will be to complete my warp talons over the next 3 weeks, and this is what I have managed so far...

gallery_106203_14654_63636.jpg

So here are the models as they have sat in my little hobby cupboard for so long. as you can see... i didnt bother putting feet on a couple, or even legs on one of them.

gallery_106203_14654_8168.jpg

Here they are after a little sawing of some of the bits that wont make it out of the portals.

gallery_106203_14654_228.jpg

So using some plasticard, I drew on a pattern and used a craft knife to cut it out. This is currently the best idea I've come up with although I have had some other cool ideas suggested. I'll run with this in the hope it works and if it doesnt then Ill start looking at the alternatives. As for the aesthetics of the portal, it was a very fluid development that just came as I drew it. I didnt want it to just look like a pool of water like in Stargate, or a rippled pool that just had a stone dropped in it. This is the warp after all and doesnt make sense... So I think what I was going for was strange blades and tendrils of etheric and eldritch energy at the edge of the portal. Where I go between this stage and the final stage I'm not absolutely sure, again it will be a bit of a fluid process... but I think primarily it will be using some greenstuff on the surfaces of the portals for some texture and which will also add some rigidity to them as they will be taking the weight of the model part way up. The other thing is where the portal meets the base, obviously, even with these light plastic models there's going to be quite a lot of leverage on the relatively tiny contact point on the base, so I will have to figure out exactly how I will deal with that.

gallery_106203_14654_30275.jpg

These are 4 of the 5 portals I've made. I think I'm happy with how they look... I mean for all I know if I made another 6 of them and chose 5 portals to use from all 10, I would pick the last 5 I made. but drawing and cutting out one of those portals takes the best part of one evening for me to do because I don't have a lot of hobby time. So I'm just going to run with these for now. At the end of the day, if I don't like them at the end I'll just pull the models off the portals. I.m happy enough with them and I've had a lot of positive feedback from friends and on Twitter, so they must look ok at least.

So thats where I am so far. The next step I think is dealing with the curve. Its not obvious, but from all the cutting on one side of the plastic, you end up forcing the plastic open on the other side, increasing the surface area, so they dish slightly. I could live with it if I had to, but I am going to try and get ride of it and make them flat. My plan is to warm it with a heat gun to soften it (although not enough to warp it... ironically) and then put a heavy book on it while it cools down. Once I've dealt with that bend in the plastic (either successfully or unsuccessfully), my plan is then to green stuff both sides.

Right... well, as always C & C is welcome and encouraged... I mean, like REALLY encouraged. I dont know what I'm doing, I've never done this before! let me know if its going ok or if you have any ideas of your own.

Thanks guys

Ok so I'm still pressing on with this even though... It seems impossible to finish this by the end of June, looks like I'll be bailing on this at some point to complete Azazel's July Challenge. For now though at least I'm going to press on and this is how far I've got...

gallery_106203_14654_36528.jpggallery_106203_14654_33105.jpg

So you can see some of what im intending to do on the plasticard... well, hang on... let me get my story straight. You can see what... happened when I applied green stuff to the portal, I have no idea what it will look like painted and I am not really "planning" any of this. So the plasticard is going to sit vertically on the base and obviously will have a very small contact area. With the height of it working as a massive lever and the model weighting the top, that's going to be a lot of stress, so you can see how I've decided to combat this. I've run wires through the base and they have been glued onto the plasticard as a brace. There will be Green Stuff both sides of the portal and that will provide stability to the thin bits of plastic (which have broken a few times already).

gallery_106203_14654_25095.jpggallery_106203_14654_29846.jpg

So here I've done another situational pose as an example of what I hope they look like when they are done and a portal that I've finished Green Stuffing one side of... almost. I will do the whole of the other side (while this side is still flat) and then glue the model into the middle of this side and finish sculpting there.

Errr... so yeah, how do you think its going? please tell me... I dont know what I'm doing... AAAAAAAaaaggghh!

Those initial designs you’ve done in the plasticard should stand you in good stead. You’ve got a lovely swirling electrical storm/fireball going on. A lot of motion in those. Your doing great on the green stuff. But I have to say when I first saw the green stuff my initial reaction was ‘Wow this is gonna be time consuming’. Looking great though!

Okey Dokey... So, update time. So Wednesday morning I hurt my back picking up my baby boy... Woo hoo!... why woo hoo? because I need by back for child care, but not for sculpting, Skidoosh!

So the the last two evenings I have had at least twice as much hobby time as as usual and just got to knuckle down with this project. last night I decided to tackle the void on the back of the portal opposite where the Warp Talon will be exiting.

gallery_106203_14654_11843.jpggallery_106203_14654_33972.jpg

Im pretty happy with the swirling vortex... although it is annoying me that its slightly off centre, so I might move it over slightly. I intend on doing another pass on it anyway to copy the the swirling eddies that are present on the Mutaliths back vortex beast, which I have been sort of using for reference

99120201021_MutilithVortexBeast01.jpg

Let me know what you think guys. Should I do anything more to the back? is it too plain? will the eddies be enough... should I try to sculpt a haunted face in the currents? should I leave it relatively plain because its the back?

I also managed to get a decent amount done on the tendrils of the next warp portal...

gallery_106203_14654_16628.jpg

So hopefully tonight I can finish the face of the second portal as well as add some detail to the rear vortext of the other and I'll even glue the first Warp talon into position. Exciting!

Thanks for your support and interest guys, C&C welcome and encouraged!

@Sagentus

Cool, I'm really glad you like my realisation of the concept. Deciding to try and sculpt a "doorway" to... "the warp"... is pretty intimidating. so I think I just try to make sort of swirling arcane shapes, with a physical representation of the warp energy flowing through them. kind of like a shattered pane of glass but where the glass is reality and the gaps between the glass are beyond human understanding... no wait, that doesnt make it sound any easier at all!!...

@Rednekkboss

Yeah the portals are time consuming but I'm pretty happy with their progress. I'm really glad you like the Possessed! they have really been my most involved project to date and I still haven't finished with them. I only have 12 finished and I'd like 20 total, so I think they other 8 will slowly come over time as little surprises between other projects.

@The Traitor

Thanks so much, They do take a while but at least I only have 5 to do, not like a unit of 10 or 20. I dont know if the further into the project I've got I've coincidentally had more time to work on them each day, but I'm getting a lot more done now than when I started, so hopefully not the drag it looked like it was going to be... hopefully.

@Hushrong

cool, pretty pleased with that response! I hope you enjoyed the latest update and I hope that progress on these models doesn't become stale to watch, as i'm essentially sculpting a very similar thing a large area, 5 times.

@Krakendoomcool

Your powers of prediction have not let you down, it is tiiiiiiime consuming. As long as you think the results are worth it though its fine, as I was saying to Sagentus it was pretty daunting to try and sculpt "warp" but I'm pretty happy with what ever it is that's going on on those bases.

@Elduderino

I'm getting a lot of positive feedback so far so that's good, and I see your point about the transport, Id already considered that. Fortunately though, because the portals are basically flat and near one edge of the base that means I should be able to lie them on their backs, , they will probably take up about as much room as 2 models.

@golfdeltafoxtrot

Thanks, i'm all for the underdog... I like using models that don't see a lot of play, it may not be competitive but I think its more interesting. I've always like Warp Talons and I only have them as they were a (very appreciated) Christmas present... and its a shame they have been in my "to do" pile this long. I'm really pleased to finally be getting around to them.

I got a bit more done last night on the front so now, apart from the edges, there isn't any visible plasticard as far as I can tell. the swirling pattern is pretty much more of the same really but it does look a lot more complete. I did also add some swirly bits to the back of the warp portal, a little bit like the ones on the Mutalith's portal

gallery_106203_14654_71308.jpggallery_106203_14654_21288.jpg

Now I only really have one step left I think and that's to add a little sort of effect, so signify that he is exiting the warp and not just floating partially inside it. I don't know why this idea came to me, but once I thought of it I wanted to try it, although I'm not sure how it will work on the swirling surface. You'll have to bear with me because I've been struggling to explain this successfully to people. Im thinking of adding shallow bumps to the surface of the portal around this guy, then on areas between him and the portal have some pointier cones, sticking out perpendicular to the portal. I'll paint these the colours of the portal. On the model I will also stick a few cones of varying length, pointing back towards the portal, so all the these points will be parallel with the base. These cones I thought could be representations of the warps effect on physical space. I was thinking I would paint these the same colour as the material they are attached to, as if its physically being stretched on its transition through the warp... kind of like that bit when ships go to light speed and stretch in sci fi things.

The other effect I'm thinking I might try which I'm not sure about will be during painting. Krakendoomcool and another guy on Twitter were suggesting I put lightening on the back of the portal. Initially I made fun of the idea because it seemed too hard to sculpt decent lightening bolts but then Krakendoomcool showed me a picture of an old vortex grenade template and I though, ok cool... yeah I could sculpt that on. THEN the other guy suggested I could paint it on ... I was thinking, well that would be easier and if it didn't work I could just sculpt the lightening on anyway. However, when I imagined painting the lightening over the textured and ridged surface, I thought it would look a bit weird, like the lightening was being projected onto it... so I thought I wonder if I could paint it as if the lightening was below the surface? like, could I paint the lightening on, then were the vortex has ridges and is deeper, the lightening would become less clear and diffuse its light though the warp matter?

So what do you guys think, will the stretched matter idea work? Should I try to sculpt the bolts of lightening onto the back or should I try to paint the lightening as if its inside the vortex, beneath its surface?

So what do you think? I really value your opinions and I really want to get on with the project so any imput you want to give is very welcome. Thanks guys.

@golfdeltafoxtrot
Yeah, those weird points reaching towards each other between the warp talon and the portal. Im not sure if the effect will make sense or if it will look weird having the points on the portal looking fixed on the apparently flowing surface. What do you think?

@Vairocanum
Wow, thanks man. What a compliment. im really glad you like how its going. I just hope the whole process works and not like 90% of it. So i might try to finish this one and see how it looks. At least i know i can get this far with they others and it looks ok.

Edited by Pandoras Bitz Box

Cool! I like the cones idea. Like stalactites and stalagmites. Stretching in through the liquid warp. Go for it! It’s hard to know which ideas are too far as you keep doing an amazing job.

Obviously I think green stuff the lightening but you know this already, I just read it!

It’s a shame these portals are so time consuming as you have a load of terminators that could be stepping into through the warp and a load of daemons that are being summoned in...I’ll shut my mouth now.

A little break from my Warp Talons while I prepare for Azazel's Jewel of July Challenge. I wasn't sure if this one qualified for it so I might be painting up a couple of other things just in case. Anyway, Im really happy with how this project went, I had no idea if I was able to do something like this or how it would go. Its been well received by my friends and the community on Twitter so I hope you guys like it to...

gallery_106203_14654_172.jpggallery_106203_14654_13792.jpeg

gallery_106203_14654_96797.jpeg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, back to those Talons I guess...

@Krakendoomcool

Im not 100 set on the warping pointed cone things yet but I may still do that one, the other thing I thought of was thin twisting tendrils reaching out of the warp as if the contents of the warp are trying to reach out and follow the Talon into reality. However that wont really convey the Warp Talons movement out of the warp so well I dont think.

As for Daemons and Terminators, even if these were quick I dont think would do portals for them. I'm imagining my warp talons hopping around a lot using the warp... a bit like warp spiders, where as the Terminators and Daemons would only be warping in on arrival and then carrying the portal with them. I like the idea that while in combat, the Warp Talons enemies are in a constant state of battling disappearing and reappearing Warp talons, which is why I wanted all of their poses to be quite dynamic and convey movement.

@Hushrong

Yeah I'm going to try painting it, most poeple seemed into that, then if I cant pull it off (which is a real possiblity) I'll resort to sculpting it instead. Ill definatly try to paint some reflective colour on the back of the Warp Talons armour, the lightening I think will only be on the back of the portal.

Thanks for your input guys.