PBB's Thousand Sons, Daemons and Chaos // Nurgle Knight

@The Traitor

Thanks! I have a few more ideas to try building, no idea how much success I'll have, some of these ideas are really going to test my abilities.  Hopefully I'll come up with a few more other interesting ideas you like before I run out of bits or get on with the next project.

@Supe Robot Gangster #1

Yeah, that sort of wibbly exploded diagram guy is one of my 2 possessed that I was originally inspired by The Thing! I think I'd just seen the prequel maybe when I started messing about with that guy.  I do intend on making some more... that are less inspired by The Thing and more representations of actual points in the film. At least... I hope I'll be able to make some that are recognisable by anyone who has seen the film. We'll see!

Ok I've got another update here, I was going to keep this one for later but I wont be painting it so I'm not sure how long it will be before its ready, so I thought I would show you some of the WIP shots I took.  Again, I'm pretty sure I missed a load of opportunities to take photos, but if you have any questions about something, please ask and I'll try to remember as best I can.

So the concept for this guy is a Plaguebearer possessing a marine. Originally it was going to be a Deathguard (for obvious reasons).  After consulting with my friend though, he was wearing the wrong mark of armour. I didnt think this was a problem until I found out in the new deathguard codex there are now no non-plague marines... which means they all have the old mark 3 armour. I was confident I would able to get away with altering the armour with green stuff, until is saw the backpack and I realised that it would be a bit beyond me.  I decided to save the Deathguard conversion for a future model where I would have my first go a moulding and casting a backpack.

So that leaves me with some boring armour and the choice of basically any other marine faction that I haven't already represented. I decided I would paint him up as an Emperors Children Marine. I dont have many of the traitor legions yet, and I love the idea of the prettyboy perfectionist marines ending up as gross, lumpy cyclops.

img_20180517_224403-1-947451077.jpg?ssl=

So this is the initial kitbash stage I got to with some plaguebearer spares and a my new space marine box.  The marine pieces are the hips, a lame left leg dragging behind, cracked helmet, chest plate and right arm... oh and a chainsword.  I was happy with the leg idea, as the possession damages the marines boy but int so complete as to allow the plaguebearer its normal mobility.  The helmet is for the easiest marine recognition, while having the face of the daemon poking out. It took a little work to chop and hollow but turned out ok. The flail coming out of the wrist was necessity as i had no right hands that weren't holding bolt guns. To make the flail head, i took 2 of the 3 circles making up a plaguebrearer icon of nurgle, sanded the backs, ofset the spikes on one and then glued them back to back.

Thats it for now but ill have some more of the photos sorted soon...

Ok, I have a bit more time than I had this morning so I'm going to try and get some more of the progress pics of the Plague Child (Plague Bearer Emperors Children).

So The first bit of feedback I had on the model was from my friend who said he looked too short. So I cut his waste again and glued in some scrap plastic just to extend his waist... I had also considered this but dismissed it, so I was glad he brought it up.  After that I began the initial green stuffing. annoyingly I failed to take any photos of this, but I'm pretty sure I just smoothed over most of the holes in his body from the kit bash. I also drilled out the back of his leg and green stuffed a bone in there. after that I started to try and get the next layer of details down which is where we catch up with my photos...

img_20180523_223356-1467930423.jpg?ssl=1

img_20180520_222717-1-1755168317.jpg?ssl

So using a tentacle maker, I started making little maggots every time had left over green stuff. With those I got some maggots pouring out of his leg hole, and vomiting out of his mouth (and other odd area). I put in some obligatory boils and put in the first saggy half of a split gut.  I even started sculpting a thumb for the hand that would hold onto the chain, which I would later reject.  I also continued the spine down his back where there was no back to the model, from either kit.  At this point I was keen on finish the spilling guts so the next wave of detail involved adding in the intestine.

img_20180521_2011051169454457.jpg?ssl=1&

I had never done anything like this before so I wasn't sure how it would turn out, at this stage it was looking a bit dorky but I had to take the risk of covering the fatty detail of the layer below... then it was time to move on to the next layer.

img_20180523_205154-1385383055.jpg?ssl=1

img_20180523_223318-2072225589.jpg?ssl=1

I was happy how this was going but during my consultations with a number of people on twitter, I managed to confirm a concern Id had... he looked a like a Plague Bearer that picked up some armour, rather than the essence of a Plague Bearer forcing its way into a space marine vessel.  So I decide to add the other shoulder pad and a backpack, but I didn't want him just wearing these in a boring way.

img_20180525_210423-1321436829.jpg?ssl=1

img_20180524_2153591073600800.jpg?ssl=1&

I really liked how this worked out. I wanted the backpack to look like it was being absorbed by his body and the huge shoulder pad, which initially looked problematic with a huge gap around the skinny plague bearer arm.  This turned out to be an opportunity to fill the gap with something interesting. I realised that even with the space marine bits, it was still just a normal Plague Bearer... well, maybe a slightly fatter, more maggoty one. So using a horn of a demon prince and chaos space marine helmet, I filed and sanded away one side, the green stuffed suckers onto them to make some little reaching tentacles.

Obviously his left shoulder pad looked a bit rubbish all plain. I considered making a bit more chaos, but why faff around trying to make it more like a chaos shoulder pad when I could wreck it with more corrosion and growth. so I added a tiny growth from the foot of some AoS Khorne Brute thing and also this was where I decided to cut the the thumb away from the right hand and decide to have a load of tentacles around the chain, coming out of the wrist. This was going to be both an easier job and also I think helped to get away from the "just a plague bearer" feel.

img_20180525_210345-2062225901.jpg?ssl=1

img_20180525_2104471746826121.jpg?ssl=1&

So now I guess that's where the project is now I guess. Although i'm done with it, if you have any ideas that I could try in future then please let me know, I love sharing ideas and collaborating. If you want to know any more info about the model which haven't mentioned then please feel free to ask me. Now I'm just waiting for my friend Krakendoomcool to paint it up so I'm pretty excited to see how that turns out.

hope you enjoyed that build and hopefully I'll have some more to show you guys soon.

Here is a the beginning of my latest Possessed conversion. Its the beginnings of a reference the Norris Thing from the film the film The Thing. If your not familiar with that scene, here is the reference Im working from...

gallery_106203_14654_23286.jpg

gallery_106203_14654_260990.png

gallery_106203_14654_732149.png

...Now if you have all managed to come out from behind your sofas, lets look at what I've got so far...

First I need a marine to be ripped open so that the Thing can burst out. I didn't want the marine lying immobile on the floor, so rather than having just busting out of the chest/stomach, I thought I would have it more coming out of the top.

gallery_106203_14654_9527.jpg

Now that the Armour is ripped open, I need to have it in a dynamic stance that would allow the thing to be bursting out, but I wanted it to look like it was stressful on the body.

gallery_106203_14654_161.jpggallery_106203_14654_14651.jpg

I like how far back its learning, like the explosive force of the thing busting out has pushed the body downwards. At least... thats what I was going for... maybe. Next I wanted to find some arms that were clearly not in use as the real beasty is going to be poking out of the top of this guy. So, unusually amongst my guys I chose to give this one a ranged weapon. I've been avoiding it so far, even going so far as to remove the bolter from the Angel Sanguine, which was part of the molded body. I wanted to make it look like it wasnt going to be in use though so I wanted it hanging and an awkward angle in the hand. I found a left hand with ammo clips in and thought... with that and the gun hanging limply in the other hand, it might look as thought this Daemon took over and bust out of this guy mid reload.

gallery_106203_14654_410.jpg

This is the first project I've shared that I haven't finished, so if any of you have any input, advice or constructive criticism for me, its very welcome.

Thanks everyone

I didnt have a chance to work on my Norris Possessed last night, as I was having a go at following Prometian Paintings Tutorial on Molten Skin for my Iron Hand Possessed.

This was still at the yellow stage, which to me just looks so far from the finished product that it looks horrifyingy awful.

gallery_106203_14654_4976.jpg

Fortunately by the time I got down to a kind of dark purple/violet colour it started to look a lot better and I cant thank Prometian Painting enough for his tutorial.

gallery_106203_14654_3045.jpg

Its obviously far from finished, I still need to work on the molten skin and I havent touched the armour and weapons. I might do a bit more tonight if I dont work on the Norris Possessed instead.

Edited by Pandoras Bitz Box

Managed to get a bit more painting done on this guy last night. Not much left to do now, just the Base, highlights on the metal and the bounce light from the heat source. What does everyone think? I keep second guessing the molten skin. If anyone has any advice I'm happy to receive it... because when I "finish" painting it, i probably wont touch it again for years with all the other things lined up. So here is what it looks like now

gallery_106203_14654_9403.jpggallery_106203_14654_27304.jpg

Thanks Fr33dom, I did a bit more on the Norris thing tonight, taking a break from the molten Iron hand. Its a little daunting knowing what im trying to replicate, it feels so iconic to me and maybe I'm expecting too much of myself, but I want it to be instantly recognisable by anyone who has seen the film. So I've started the groundwork for the sculpt, now I need to flesh it out and build the weird little neck body thing next. The face is going to be important, and you can see the head I'm going to try and use to create it next to the model. Even if It doesnt work as well as I hope, I feel like its going to be an interesting project.

gallery_106203_14654_13958.jpg

Yeah I love that film, very cool. Even watching the video back for reference, the special effects still seem so cool to me... and its so gross. I'm not thinking, look at those weird puppet... I'm thinking... what the ffuuu*@k...

Anyway, back to the sculpt... as thats pretty much all I have to do left. Its still pretty scary to think about what I have left to do. So I tried to add some of the gross tumor type things on the central bursting stalk, then there's another mushroom style top to the stalk. well I haven't done the mushroom yet, I've just been concentrating on the foundation of the mushroom. my first concern was detail, there are loads and loads of slimy stringy bits at the top of the stalk, stuff I do not think I could sculpt. so I had to think of some things I could put in there to be like those. I started by unwinding wire from a GW barbed wire, and then twisting it up a bit more crooked. in addition to that, some brush bristles from a big brush for some straight pieces, some of them I buckled for variation.

gallery_106203_14654_2440.jpg

While I was doing this bit of greenstuff, I took the opportunity to add another detail to the model. in the film, when they see this horrible Norris Thing, A child faced badass, Kurt Russel comes in and flames it... in order to survive, the head still on the body starts to detatch itself, falls on the floor. It then sprouts legs and eyes on stalks, skittering away. Krakendoom cool has mentioned this little Spider thing to me a few times suggesting I make it... and I might, but it would have to be a subtle reference I think. I cant make one out of a marines head, it would look like a familiar... which I may make for one of my sorcerers. For this guy though, I thought... well the same thing is happening, the head on the stalk isn't his actual head... so where is his head. Maybe it hasn't fallen off yet.

gallery_106203_14654_32813.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with how these bits have turned out so far, but the real challenge is going to be sculpting a decent representation of Norris's horrifying Thing Face onto that tiny piece of resin I have. Hopefully it wont be the pain I expect though, only time will tell. I hope your all enjoying seeing this project unfold!

Another update after a bit of sculpting tonight. The first thing I did was Add the tumory mushroom top to the explosive growth. I tried to shape it organically and follow my photo reference as best I could. Before that cured... simply because I'm inpatient, I risked adding the fat wormy neck to it. I used a thin brass rod, just like I did for the first vertical piece, and pushed it into a small hole I drilled with some super glue on it. Then I decided to tackle the head at last...

gallery_106203_14654_17973.jpg

So I havent finished the head by far but i did have a crack at starting it. I put in some top teeth.. as best I could, they are so damn small and I dont own a magnifying glass... so I'm not sure I know if they are any good until its painted. If it turns out they are terrible I'll just cut them out and try again. I also realised then that the neck doesnt just rise up, but droops back down and so behind the head I added a bit more neck. since I was doing that I tried to add in all of his fat disgusting chins.

gallery_106203_14654_22293.jpg

This next photo isnt great but I just wanted to see if I could offer the detatched head up to the model to match my reference and I'm pretty pleased with its compesition so far.

gallery_106203_14654_21367.jpg

Next I need to finish the face and attach the two necks. I've also noticed that there are a weird and withered arm and leg poking out of the back of the thing. I'll need to add them along with the weird spider legs. Those legs also offer up a bit of a problem. In my reference, the thing is holding onto a vent, so the stringy structure doesnt appear to be supporting. I dont really mind that mine is, after all... chaos is pretty weird, this thing could just be hovering. I considered hanging the legs down instead of up... but I think Im just going to follow the reference exactly... but readjust the legs slightly so they look like they are just poised in the air and not grabbing an invisible vent.

Saying this is all well and good but I need to get that far yet... more adventures with this thing soon. I really need to get to that molten guy soon, his burning eyes are staring at me and making me feel guilty for stopping before the final stretch... The trouble is I just enjoy the conversions more than the painting, which is ironic because Prometian Painting who has lent me that colour scheme said something in a recent post that suggested to me he has the opposite problem.

either way... soon I'll have something to post up here.

These guys are getting more and more elaborate!

The Angel Vermillion has come out really nice, I like those green stuff feathers particularly.

You’ve done a great job green stuffing the plague bearer guy.

Somehow ‘the thing’ never ceases to disturb which is testament to those legendary special effects.

I still think an upside down walking head with eye storks is a must. In with all the others would be fine, in game he can be the first to die if you aren’t comfortable with the scale.

For this current one have you got any lamp posts left? The head on a stork could be clutching the underside of a lamp post to mimic the film.

Hmmm... that lamp post idea is pretty good, Dont think I do have anything... maybe I could make one though.  Actually there was that bit of scenery our friend made which was cluttered with them, I cut them off... where did I put them? I'll have to have a rummage.

Yeah the film is amazing, looking at the these photos just has me wanting to watch both films again, have you seen the prequel? I was amazed it was any good, how do you follow... such a classic. By  having amazing continuity and atmosphere. The credits even end with the same tension building music the first one starts with. So its about time I got around to this model and try to do a decent job of it.

Yeah the little head crab... maybe I could just build up a load of scenery on a base and having him holding on to that to build it up a bit bigger.  Also, I feel like your neglecting the fact its THE SIZE OF A HEAD! so any sculpting anything, is all going to be fiddly and tiny. I was thinking about adding the little Head Crab to a Sorcerers Base as a familar though so that would require the same mount of detail... maybe slightly less as the focus would be on the Sorcerer so the job on the Head Crab wouldn't have to be as good.

I'll have a think, it would be cool to give him a little friend to hang around with. I'm glad you like it though, if fans of the film like it I must be doing something right. I hoping I can probably finish this model by the end of the week.

@Supe Robot Gangster #1

Im glad you like it, hopefully i can make it look a decent representation by the time i finish adding a few more bits on.

@Apologist

Thats a great idea with a different sized head. I might have some spare ogre heads somewhere i could used, might be small enough to get away with making a possessed marine out of it. I might have some difficulty making the marine connection wih no body though... I could give it service studs and an imperial eagle tatoo... Put some emptybarmour on the ground?

Failing that the Giants head spawn is a great option. Krakandoomcool has been going on about including this head for ages but i couldnt get passed the size issue. I didnt even consider a different kind of head... Possibly because of of the attempy to keep it to scale. I have somewhere to start now though. I'll look for an ogre head when i get the chance...

@Krautscientist

I really like the iron hand as well, I'm glad you appreciate him and I'm looking forward to showing him to Prometian Painting since i followed his tutorial for the molten flesh. When i first made it I had doubts... like had I gone too far? does it look stupid? I was thinking about the fact that the hand took up more than another whole base... but that was ages ago and coming back to them I was thinking, this guy is awesome, I dont care that he takes up loads of room, I love how distorted his daemon has rendered him.  It was simply because of the poor way he had been put together in the first place that I even did him dragging that massive hand. People keep complimenting me on my imagination and creativity but sometimes I feel like im only being left with one or two options because of the materials I have, those options just happen to be cool or hilarious sometimes.  THE FLY... I'll have to bank that for a later model, I spawn possibly... or a teleportation accident while the gellar fields flickered... a space marine possessed where his armour has materialised throughout his body! I'll have a think on that.

@Rednekkboss

Im really glad you think so! really all I want to make are some cool minis and get better at doing it but if other people like them because they are really unique, or interesting it really spurs me on to do more and do it better, so thanks so much.

@Marcus_

Its so interesting how peoples opinions vary model to model.  I was always worried that Wing Man was always a bit jammed together, I dont feel like I did that much to him, I think I may have just cheated my way around some of the flaws with paintwork... either way I'll take a compliment when its given! I'm chuffed you like him and he is one of your favourites. Hopefully I'll do a decent enough job of some future ones to challenge these guys for the top spot!

I'm hoping to get some more work done on the Norris Possessed tonight and pop up some more pictures. Krakendoomcool had an immense idea for solving a problem thats been bugging me. The fact that in the still from the film The Norris Thing is holding onto a vent and despite the fact that a weird floating gribbly daemon might not be that weird... It was still niggling at me that it wasnt like that in the film.  Krakendoomcool suggested that I pop a lamp post on his base if I have one for the Norris Thing to hold onto! so I will definitely have some photos later of my efforts to incorporate that, hopefully a decent amount more sculpting.

Thanks so much for the interest everyone!