toaae presents: WAAAAGH! Tortoof

toaae

I've been dallying with Age of Sigmar, but this Ork train has no brakes. I still managed to pump out a few more vehicles in the last month and a half. First off, a fully* finished Bonebreaka:

med_gallery_14776_14604_128175.jpg

med_gallery_14776_14604_960172.jpg
med_gallery_14776_14604_598524.jpg
med_gallery_14776_14604_1142537.jpg
med_gallery_14776_14604_515400.jpg

The battlewagon kit is a fun one, and using some basic tools made this both a standout** and an easy project. Vallejo chipping medium for most of the body, Stirland Battlemire texture paint for the built up mud on the tracks, and Typhus Corrosion for the mud on the deffrollas and wheels makes this look like a suitably Orky vehicle, without me having to have any real skill in the weathering! Very pleased with how this came out.

*= The first bonebreaka was a second-hand kit that I mostly used for testing the chipping medium on; I skipped a lot of polish steps, because it's horribly assembled and has caked on paint and glue in areas.
**= This bonebreaka earned me the Artificer badge in the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge for November.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other vehicle was a Wazbom Blastajet I built and painted for the Waaagh! 2019 hobby challenge (gotta get that sig swag). I'm a slow painter, so I knew I was already challenging myself when I picked up the kit with just 9 days to go, but I was determined to add another flyer to my collection and get that kustom badge. My original plan was to do a Dakkajet, but when I realized the kit now includes the sprue for the Blastajet, I switched up and vowed the newer flyer. This turned out to be an additional burden, as all the extra bits on the Blastajet require a lot more painting. It's a really cool kit, but, oh boy, did I dig myself quite the hole.

In the end, I did finish it. I opted to not go to a tournament so I could have extra time on Saturday, and it was worth it. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

med_gallery_14776_14614_1267357.jpg
med_gallery_14776_14614_188798.jpg
med_gallery_14776_14614_103962.jpg
med_gallery_14776_14614_721247.jpg

I need a bigger lightbox.

And so, with two weeks to go in the year, I'm still rolling on my hobby goals. I've got just 6 days left in my #300DaysOfHobby project, so that seems like a solid lock for completion. I've got big plans for next year; I cannot wait!

And in this spoiler box, an adventure on completing a whole flyer in just over a week:

I started this project with the base. I wanted something that stood out and took advantage of the open space (since flyers basically don't use any of the surface area of the base). My first though was to use an old, Gorkamorka trukk sunk into the mud, but it was too large for the flight-stand to fit. So returning to my bits box, I spotted the sprue from my last Dakkajet and the idea of using a bomb in place of the trukk came to me. A rock from the front yard, a skull from the Citadel skull set, and a pipe that wasn't buried deep enough completed the ensemble. I'm not experienced with greenstuff, but I decided to experiment using it to make a crater for the bomb, as well as a filled ditch from the pipe erupting.

Blastajet WiP 1

Blastajet WiP 2

Onto the plane itself, the first step was assembling the fuselage, with the exhaust pipes, tail-fins (or whatever planes call them), and the huge, hot-rod-esque air scoop on the nose.

Blastajet WiP 3

Blastajet WiP 4

Blastajet WiP 5

Blastajet WiP 6

Blastajet WiP 7

Then it was adding the wings, the Wazbom's Mega-Kannons and Smasha Gun, and all the other bits. I also added a magnet to where you can attach the Kustom Force Field or Stikkbomb Flinga. I can't really imagine a scenario where I don't take the KFF, but, hey, I have that choice.

Blastajet WiP 8

Blastajet WiP 9

Blastajet WiP 10

Blastajet WiP 11

Onto painting. Since the Dakkajet, I'm now painting the body of my vehicles using chipping medium, in two layers. First, a base orange over a silver primer, like so:

Blastajet WiP 12

Blastajet WiP 13

And then the main colors over the orange, that once chipped, achieves two layers of chipping. It looks great on the 'orkanauts and Dakkajet, so I'm really happy to do the extra work.

HOWEVER

I forgot the chipping medium for the second layer on the Blastajet. This was super demotivating, as it effectively means the first chipping step was useless. I did save the model by returning to the old standby technique, sponging-Leadbelcher on to simulate chipping. But the first layer of chipping isn't visible.

Blastajet WiP 14

Blastajet WiP 15

Ok, with that big mistake overcome, I cleaned up all the metallic parts that got covered in paint during airbrushing.

Blastajet WiP 16

Blastajet WiP 17

Then it was paint the bronze, copper, and brass metallics.

Blastajet WiP 18

Blastajet WiP 19

Blastajet WiP 20

After that, it was all the non-metallic colors. This was the step that took longer than I planned, because of all the extra wires and weapons the Wazbom has over the Dakkajet. I stopped taking pics, as I was ready for this project to be finished. Once all the various colors were done (there are red, green, orange, yellow, pink, black, and blue wires all over the model), I painted the pilot and got him in his cockpit, gave the engines that blue glow (thank you, airbrush!), and then, as I do with all my models, just drenched the flyer in Agrax Earthshade (for my vehicles, I do this with the airbrush; it acts like a filter all over, while often still pooling in the deepest recesses).

Nice work on those vehicles. How are you finding the Bonebreakas?

They are fun, but they have some major issues. They are reliant on getting the charge, since that's how they get their d6 extra attacks, but they don't have 'ere We Go. I've failed some pretty big charges and without that re-roll, had them just left out in the open. They aren't terribly hard to kill, and if I go second, I'm always terrified about one exploding and nailing a bunch of stuff with d6 mortal wounds. They are big, which can be a bonus, but more often then not is a negative, as terrain often restricts them considerably, they block other units from moving (usually always mine), and it's hard to hide three of them, or make sure they all get KFFs.

They are largely distraction carnifexes. They draw fire away from my Gorkanaut and Morkanaut, or they ram home and delete something. I enjoy playing with them, but I'm fully aware they, in their current form and in this meta, aren't very good.

Love the color on those vehicles! Snazzy but weathered, its a great orky combo! Whats on deck?

Working on Ossiarch Bonereapers for AoS right now, but I've got to get 20 grots and a Weirdboy done before LVO next month, so those. Maybe the Warboss on bike, since that (surprisingly) didn't get Legends'd.

Working on Ossiarch Bonereapers for AoS right now, but I've got to get 20 grots and a Weirdboy done before LVO next month, so those. Maybe the Warboss on bike, since that (surprisingly) didn't get Legends'd.

What are you planning on taking to the LVO? Really curious. With another weirdboy and more grots I assume your not taking the few lists I have seen here. You should definitely do a warboss on bike, I would love to see that. 

I think Biker Warbosses are out now for competitive play since they have been moved to Legends.

@Toaae - yeah thats pretty much been my take on them too. Just a bit overpriced for what they do.

Ive been running a Mork & Gork Naut combo too - love it.

What are you planning on taking to the LVO? Really curious. With another weirdboy and more grots I assume your not taking the few lists I have seen here. You should definitely do a warboss on bike, I would love to see that.

It's actually my SoCal list, with a few relatively minor changes. Namely, dropping the boyz unit (replaced with gretchin) and the mega-armored warboss (who is a Legend) for the Blastajet and either a Dakkajet or the Biker Boss. Mostly, I'm still not sure what's actually competitive in this Space Marine meta, so I'm just going to take a fun list that I can have fully painted (the weirdboy and grots are 3-color minimum, so I'd just be getting them to done).

I think Biker Warbosses are out now for competitive play since they have been moved to Legends.

@Toaae - yeah thats pretty much been my take on them too. Just a bit overpriced for what they do.

Ive been running a Mork & Gork Naut combo too - love it.

As XIXWYRMEXIX states, the Warboss on Warbike is actually not in the legends list, and is included in Chapter Approved under the Forgeworld heading. And the model has been sold as a Warboss on Warbike in their webstore (as opposed to the named character) for a while now.

I played a game today against another funky list (a Lord of Skulls and Brass Scorpion, for lulz). I lost one bonebreaka and both 'orkanauts by turn 2, but managed to take out the two big threats. With those gone, the other two bonebreakas roamed the field, beating the snot out of stuff. When they can make a few charges, they are sensational. In a real game, though, they are distraction carnifexes.

The two 'orkanauts are just fun. They melt in melee, with no invulnerable, but I'm overall pretty happy with them.

Edited by toaae

Youll have to excuse me - i think i suffered a mini-stroke when i wrote that.

So im confused - are Big Meks with KFFs still comp legal then? I see the Legends entry but it makes no mention of KFF

I do love Dread Waaagh - Special Ammo for the double shoot and More Dakka, its pretty punishing with a Morkanaut.

Edited by Akrim

Youll have to excuse me - i think i suffered a mini-stroke when i wrote that.

So im confused - are Big Meks with KFFs still comp legal then? I see the Legends entry but it makes no mention of KFF

I do love Dread Waaagh - Special Ammo for the double shoot and More Dakka, its pretty punishing with a Morkanaut.

Big Meks w/KFF are still legal, they did not go to legends. They are a choice for orks under the standard lists now. They also have them in kill team still being legal. I have said it a few times, they must be coming out with a new model soon, because they do not have any for sale currently. I am guessing they will release with PA saga of the beast. The teaser rumor pic everyone thinks is new ghazzy could be new mek with kff. Could be ghazzy too, but I am sure a new model is coming out since they do not have one but it is in two different games lists. 

What's weird about the Warboss on Bike and especially the Big Mek w/ KFF is knowing what data sheet to use. I'm assuming the biker boss is adequately the index version, though its odd to have that listed under Forgeworld. However, the Big Mek w/ KFF isn't a data sheet that exists, explicitly. Until chapter approved gets an FAQ (which, I hope, includes the datasheets), we're just left guessing.

What's weird about the Warboss on Bike and especially the Big Mek w/ KFF is knowing what data sheet to use. I'm assuming the biker boss is adequately the index version, though its odd to have that listed under Forgeworld. However, the Big Mek w/ KFF isn't a data sheet that exists, explicitly. Until chapter approved gets an FAQ (which, I hope, includes the datasheets), we're just left guessing.

I was/am assuming the warboss on bike is the forgeworld version/datasheet. He is an evil sunz character. If they released a new datasheet for him that would be cool, but because he is listed as forgeworld I assume he will use their datasheet. The Big Mek I think will release the datasheet with the "new" model. But yeah its all a "guess" at the moment. 

Putting this a bit more on track for subject, how do you do your battlewagon painting? I would like to attempt something similiar (though I am unsure if I actually can). I really like the way it looks. 

Edited by XIXWYRMEXIX

Putting this a bit more on track for subject, how do you do your battlewagon painting? I would like to attempt something similiar (though I am unsure if I actually can). I really like the way it looks.

I gotta thank @Magos Takatus for the tip, as he pointed me to an excellent

. For my bonebreakas, I primed them silver, and then airbrushed the Vallejo Chipping Medium (1:1 mix with water) all over. Then I painted over that with each of the colors I wanted (red for the body, yellow/orange/blue for the random panels); thanks to the chipping and weathering, I'm able to get away with some overspray, so this wasn't a precision job. Then it was toothbrush time to chip up the model, achieving that great look. Finally, airbrushing varnish to protect the chipped layer. Then it was just touching up the metallic parts, the tires, and the other various bits, before finishing the weathering with Stirland Battlemire on the treads, Typhus Corrosion on the tires and Deffrolla, and finally one more use of the airbrush to cover the model in Agrax Earthshade.

So for LVO, I need another weirdboy to complete. I converted two last year, both painted to a 3 color minimum. I just don't know which one to go with.

med_gallery_14776_14614_197511.jpg

The one on the left is converted from a runtherd, with boosted height to fit the standard model. It features a blindfold, a custom weirdboy staff, and a grot head, that the weirdboy claims is his best friend, and the voice of the gods.

The one on the right is converted from a nob. His features are that he traded his weirdboy staff for a totem and a stabba (which will have a glowy ball on it), and his stink eye.

Taking votes on which one I should use for LVO, and thereby, which one I should paint up first.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really like the Blastajet, it looks ace. Especially the eyecatching swirly bit (technical term).

Thanks. It was one of those tasks I regretted doing as I was doing it, but am happy for the end result. I've never found checks or dags difficult to paint on Orks, on account of how easy it is to get away with a messy spot, but the curvature of the cones made the target-style pattern significantly more difficult. In the end, I'm pleased with it.

The runtherd. I was possibly thinking of doing a runtherd/weird boy conversion myself as I need 3 and only have the one. Seeing yours makes me totally convinced now to loot the idea from you. The runtherd is a cool looking weirdboy model.

Plus he has a buddy.

Just curious - what application do you have for that many Weirdboys? Beyond Da Jump of course.