N1SB Labs: Unboxing Japanese Space Marine Heroes Series 1

N1SB

I've been using models as testbeds for painting techniques and sharing my observations in these N1SB Labs posts. However, this time, I legitimately found a miniature that's interesting even before painting that it deserves its own article: the Japanese-exclusive Space Marine Heroes.

And credit where it's due, I sincerely thank Brother D3L and Brother Kierdale for, not just answers, but leading me to better questions. They've collected more of these than me and are the Subject Matter Experts, but I'm just cataloging my own findings.

+++ Overview +++

1 year ago as of this writing, Games Workshop officially unveiled at the Tokyo Toy Show a new line of models that it describes as:

"...individually collectable miniatures have been designed especially for Japan..."

There were Space Marine Heroes, with their own website here: https://spacemarineheroes.com/. With a follow-up to these Japanese-exclusive miniatures, Space Marine Heroes Series 2 that will be Terminator-based, on the way, I've recorded my unboxing experience.

They are priced at about 700 Yen, about 5 pounds sterling or 7 US dollars, as they're presented as high-end premium collectibles. We also happen to have them available here in Hong Kong, China, which is where I acquired mine.

+++ The Box(es) +++

To begin with, it's a box within a box, Space MarInception. It comes as a full set in a Rhino-like crate, shown here in Hong Kong:

gallery_57329_13636_175608.jpg

The Wyvern (Chimera STC chassis) is there for size comparisons, basically the crate is larger than a Land Raider. Inside:

gallery_57329_13636_736472.jpg

Although each is unique, they are also unmarked, so it's like you randomly pick a Space Marine Hero. Here's the back of the box:

gallery_57329_13636_1078635.jpg

In case you're wondering what it says, at the top left corner, it's basically telling you to get the whole set, obviously. Then generally warning labels, etc. Max Factory, a Japanese model maker, is mentioned in the bottom left, as Games Workshop's partner in Japan, presumably for localisation and distribution (done through an affiliate, Good Smile Company). Having looked at the boxes, let's see what's inside.

+++ Unboxing +++

There's more than just a model inside. I have laid out the entire contents, pictures of both the fronts and backs of each item:

gallery_57329_13636_645107.jpg

gallery_57329_13636_871205.jpg

To briefly explain what each item is, from the top and left to right:

招待状 card - is a formal invitation, with the addresses and social media 4 Tokyo Warhammer Stores.

A collectible card - for the model you just bought, a personal biography. The stats aren't for gameplay, it's just fluff.

The model itself - dyed plastic, includes a custom base, it's a bit of a fancy sculpt.

Instruction booklet + checklist - this is VERY typical of a lot of Japanese collectible models. Japan has these vending machines for toys that come in plastic bubbles, so reminiscent of Poké Balls that I believe they were the inspiration for them. They would fold a strip of paper with instructions on 1 side and a list of the full set. You literally roll for these models by turning a dial on the vending machine, and they have different levels of rarity.

What you're probably most interested in is the miniature itself. I've taken pictures of the front and back of the sprue:

gallery_57329_13636_469304.jpg

gallery_57329_13636_82512.jpg

In case you're wondering what the assembled model looks like, here is the display model image:

gallery_57329_13636_7129.png

The collectible card tells me this is Brother Vanial, and he has a hilariously meta biography. From what I can tell, he is the "unofficial" Grenade thrower in this squad of Space Marine Heroes, in that he's skilled with the bolter, but prefers explosives instead. His bio almost seems to be a nod towards Grenade rules in the 7th test and current 8th rules, where only 1 model in a unit can toss them.

I was fortunate that I got a miniature that is somewhat different than a typical Tactical Marine in that this model has a unique chest bandoleer for his grenades. And just to show the sophistication of the sculpt, that bandoleer is attached to his right leg, allowing you to paint his aquila underneath before assembling. His right foot is actually part of the base itself.

I also really, really like his shouldered bolter in his left hand. From the sprue, you can see his arm is attached to the bolter strap, allowing it to easily be kit-bashed onto another model, like a regular Tactical Marine outside this Japanese-exclusive range. Please note, there are NO Ultramarine markings on the model itself, so they can fit any Chapter.

Upon measuring, the size is completely on par and compatible with normal Marine models. It might seem slightly taller but that's only due to the pose; the legs are arranged not in the typical squatting horse stance of typical Marines, and the sculpted base may give it a few millimeters. There are 2 heads, one helmed, one barefaced, and I noticed the barefaced head looks slightly thinner than regular ones, though it could just be because he appears to be shouting.

I put it by a regular Tactical Marine sprue, just as a frame of reference, so you can compare for yourself:

gallery_57329_13636_266098.jpg

+++ Conclusions +++

This is but 1 sample from the full range of Space Marine Heroes, but this sample is a fun one. It's a slightly different sculpt that is still fully compatible with other Tactical Marines from outside this Japanese-exclusive series. The base, legs and torso are effectively bound together in that they have a custom pose unique to itself, but the arms and head are entirely swappable with other miniatures.

The price may be off-putting at 1st, but I almost see this as a very rare upgrade kit, which completely justifies the cost IMHO.

The most interesting and important bit is not the model, but a card, the one that reads 招待状, or invitation in Japanese. This is a "gateway product", one that is meant to introduce people to a broader range, part of what marketing calls a "product ladder". Space Marine Heroes represent the 1st rung designed specifically to fit into Japan's style of model collecting. It's the details like the biography card and the instruction manual to have a checklist of the rest of the squad. It's not just Games Workshop trying to sell more miniatures, it's how well they emulated the Japanese way of doing it, copying a layout that is familiar for Japanese collectors.

Localisation is NOT just translation, but the customisation of your product into another culture. Games Workshop did a great job here.

Thus, the invitation isn't just to a physical Warhammer Store, but to the setting of Warhammer 40,000 and The Hobby as we know it. It's a different mindset than what is native to Japan. They collect models, and they are awesome, but they don't have a game based on them. It's going to be a gradual process of introducing that mentality starting with their existing culture of model collecting. Those 3 characters, 招待状, is perhaps the single-most telling example of a Games Workshop growth strategy outside their annual reports.

My absolute personal detail is the biography of this model, Brother Vanial.

I already mentioned how they give a nod to the Grenade rules in the recent 1 and a half editions of Warhammer 40,000. It is almost an in-joke among existing players, which you wouldn't understand if you never played the game. Yet they included it in what's basically an introductory product, realising some already loyal players might pick up this boxset, as I did. In today's pop culture parlance, it's an Easter Egg.

And the thing about an Easter Egg is, if you can recognise it, the creators are recognising you, as they left it as a prize for you to find.

Bottom line - if you can get this from an online reseller or something, it's TOTALLY worth getting IMHO. Space Marine Heroes Series 1 isn't just a rare model, it's like a very interesting milestone in Games Workshop's 2nd renaissance. I was very skeptical of this at 1st, but very proud to own this now.

EDIT - a follow-up will come soon, as the best answers often lead to better questions.

This is pretty cool to see, and like RB, I kind of want the whole set.

Am I correct in thinking that picking up the "Rhino Box" will net you all of the models, though with duplicates? I seem to remember that being a thing...

Am I correct in thinking that picking up the "Rhino Box" will net you all of the models, though with duplicates? I seem to remember that being a thing...

So do I, but because this can be a big factor for a pretty big ticket item, let me check before responding.

I remember the guy who sold me the above figure pointing out a caveat with the exclusive Captain in particular.

Okay, that all makes sense to me. If you're into the whole "luck of the draw" thing, I could see getting them one at a time, maybe trading your duplicates with friends... seems like it could be fairly exciting!

A full rhino box gets you 24 marines, 2 of each individual (including the plasma gunner and heavy bolter).  Not the captain though, as he was sold separately.

I got the same information, 2 full sets in that full Rhino cardboard box, but the Captain is separate.

In the same message, it said the suggested retail price of the Captain in our local currency, which translates to about 20 GBP or 25 USD.

But a warning among friends here: please be careful of whom you buy this Japanese-exclusive from (if you're outside Japan).

I got my rhino box on ebay and resold the duplicates on there a few months back. I mean for the quality of the models, its still cheaper than FW prices. I love them so much, and im so happy they are continuing the series!

Just to throw this in, didn't it seem that the upcoming Salamanders vs Necrons board game whose name eludes me was going to contain these?

Rik

Yes, from the photos we’ve seen already it does seem the game will use some of these sculpts :tu:

If I remember correctly the art shows a few chapters, with the flamer-marine a Salamander.

It seems it's not about where to buy from ... but who to buy from :wink:

Yeah, like if I were in your position/locale, I'd still go to eBay or a Japanese importer, but I'd take special care to check the seller's reputation for this.

Nice review. :tu:

I'd missed the Space Marine Adventures: Labyrinth of the Necrons thing. From the picture that looks like the sergeant, heavy bolter, running knife guy, flamer, and auspex. 

I really hope that is the case because I think they are some of the best marine minis I have seen in years.

In mine I got two of each model except I had three sergeants and one flamer guy which was a little annoying as I think it is supposed to be two of each and isn't cheap. I think it worked out at about £7 a model for what I payed on ebay.

All the youtube unboxings I have watched show two of each. 

In mine I got two of each model except I had three sergeants and one flamer guy which was a little annoying as I think it is supposed to be two of each and isn't cheap. I think it worked out at about £7 a model for what I payed on ebay.

All the youtube unboxings I have watched show two of each.

That sucks, man. Sorry to hear. I definitely got 2 of each. Something weird happened in yours.

Archived