Fierce Bears 5th Company - WIP

Fierce Bear

Brothers I have been lurking around the forums since Christmas when my Nephew's interest in WH40k got me back into the hobby, I've been steadily devouring DA novels and bought myself the new DA codex, setting myself the task of finally bringing my DA army (Circa 1996) back to at least a tabletop standard in between major bouts of real life :biggrin.:

I took huge inspiration from the other DA Brothers here and especially Aegnor & Vadskaers work. 

So i wanted to give something back, as I have been having a lot of fun building and modelling some of the miniatures ready for my DA Army.

Right now i'll just pop a bunch up so you can see the WIP, if they can trigger some latent kitbashing in someone else then i'll feel honour is satisfied! 

I'll also later on fill you in on my plans for my Company Master Fierce Bear and his incarnation of the 5th Battle Company, C&C welcome, I am still very much remembering skills I have forgotten once already... haven't painted anything for something like 15 years!... still I think I can sneak a vow in just trying to pick something i can do it justice to before the time is up!

Azreal 

FB5thC Azreal

Belial

FB5thC Belial2

Ravenwing Black Knights

FB5thC RWBK

Deathwing Knights

FB5th DWK

Keep Calm & Hunt the Fallen Brothers!

Welcome to the Rock Fierce Bear! Those are some sweet conversions you’ve got. Those Black Knights are super dynamic, and I love Belials pose. The Deathwing Knights look great with swords, that’s what I have planned for mine too

I think my only critiscim is Azrael. The pose looks wicked, but the terminator helmet is just a bit too big. Especially as that model is ancient, and Azrael is well known for being short in stature

Keep em coming brother!

Thanks for the kind comments G8keeper & Greenz! 

I did intend for Azzy's Helm to be OTT, and the feathers just add to that, but i handn't thought about the main mini sizing, it is a bit cramped up in the middle... 

@Greenz you are the master of sculpting and scaling up marines! Any thoughts on any way to 'stretch' that Azzy model out/? I think the robes make that complicated and likely a lot of green stuff required?...

When the Azzy model is lined up next to the Belial I actually like how Belial in the TDA looks HUGE compared to his power armoured chapter Master...

FB5thCB A

Working on some speeders for the Ravenwing so i'll pop them up once they are ready, if anyone has some suggestions for bases i'd like some new ideas? Not really a fan of clear  plastic stands... thinking perhaps some scenery to 'boost them up'...

TTFN

Have you thought of using smaller wings? There are some pretty good ones in the Veterans kit, that would fit nicely on that helm, and keep the model in better proportions.

@Greenz you are the master of sculpting and scaling up marines! Any thoughts on any way to 'stretch' that Azzy model out/? I think the robes make that complicated and likely a lot of green stuff required

Haha thanks for the compliment Fierce, flattery will get you everywhere with me :D

I’m no master of greenstuff though, I still have lots of hang ups, and I learn new tricks all the time. I guess I just have no fear when it comes to hacking apart models

Now, as for tallscaling Azzy... I don’t know if I’d recommend that with a pewter model. I have a ton of 2nd edition pewter models that have been relegated to the reserves drawer. For one, you’d need a rotary tool to cut him up. But then there’s the issue of him being taller, but his girth needs to be worked on (this is not a Slaaneshi thread, no gutter minds here). Plus you’d have to rework all the detail around his waist and thighs. It can be done, I just don’t know if it’s worth the headache

If you really want to go that route, you’d have a much easier time working on the company master that came with the Dark Vengeance set. He basically is Azzy, and you can go crazy customizing that model.

Now, basing. What did you have in mind? Urban? Jungle? Ash wastes? The skies the limit

Well Greenz, I'm just getting started with GS, used milliput way back when, I definitely need some practice that's handy because i've picked a few tricky bits to do on my DarkShroud kitbash...

FB5thDS1

As for Azzy, looking again at the model you are right it would be a painstaking job to even cut him at the waist and build up the torso. And in truth having compared the Terminator helm and the Power Armour helms they are not that different in size... its the oversized feather plumes that really pull it out of proportion... but i keep thinking... the Lion would never except the same size plumes as his 'little brothers' I have the Vet kit ones Berzul mentioned so i can still change my mind...

As for the bases, i think something a bit... Gothic seems appropriate... I do think i want to use some creative scenery as the the 'stand'

WS Scar base (2)

I have to agree with Greenz about Azrael, the head is looking out of proportion. It's partly because of the small stature of the original metal model, and partly because those Grey Knight terminator heads are really quite wide. I've tried to use them on normal marine models myself before now, and never been happy with the results. The power armoured GK heads might be a better fit if you have one available.

That said, this is the Lion Helm we're talking about, and a helmet forged for a Primarch should look bigger (possibly a lot bigger) than a normal helm. I'd be interested in seeing how it looks with smaller wings.

Your other conversions are excellent btw. I particularly like the RW huntmaster with the bird of prey, reminds me of a old piece of Ravenwing artwork.

• 4 weeks later...

Its been a while but some test models, a few techniques tried and i've started painting up squads, these guys are intended to be a tabletop standard, I'm really just starting out with the simplest guys and looking to tighten the paintbrush skills up as move through the units. 

The scheme is intentional dark, I'm aiming here to go from a black base to a gentle dark green highlight, my photos below don't really show it very well but you get a feel i hope - still WIP:

Tactical Squad 1 

Tact WIP 1

Tactical Squad 2 (btw not in my vow as they were already part-painted)

Tact WIP 2

Devastator Squad 1

Dev WIP 1

@Spaced Hulk - I compared Azzy's head (GK Termmie) to a marine (mk7) head and actually there isn't much difference, what really 'blows' it up is the 'Feathers' I've used (on purpose because they are large) on the side of the Helmet. 

I'm actually thinking to make the highlights brighter in the 'inner ring' of his feathers and leave the 'outer feathers' darker (red) which might take the edge off the proportionality by drawing your eye to the head... still plenty of time to mull it over... 

• 1 month later...

Its been a while, i have been concentrating on getting my ETL Vow done, but that was helped me develop my painting skills (somewhat rusty after *cough* 20 years).

My greenwing are intentionally dark but still came out rather shiny in the light here, still some tricks to learn on taking photos but the intention was always to keep the schemes minimal, actually as each greenwing squad progresses they seem to be darker... its just how I like them i guess!

5th Co DW

5th Co Tact (2)

5th Co Dev

I also have another 2 5-man Tactical Squads in there final highlights, it is great to get some of these models up to a table top standard.

Once they are done it is time to get some Ravenwing ready for the Hunt!

• 11 months later...

It has been a long while without reporting in Brothers but the 5th Company has been fighting a hard fought campaign in the Nihilus Sector, some particularly stubborn members of Magnus Sons have been quite the distraction.

I need to complete a series of Visual feed captures and detail the now reinforced 5th Company, both Raven Wing & Primaris reinforcements have bolstered the 5th's forces.

For now though in an update i thought i might share an update on Azreal, an adjustment based on some feedback:

Updated Azreal

Minor adjustment to the head dress i think solves the proportions somewhat, overall i think the original model just looks undersized now...

More to come...

I'd rather the updated him as a regular SM... the Space Marine Heroes Models have a much better scale and size as an example.

I think a few Primaris Characters would be welcome instead of wholesale Rubicon of the old characters?