Yautja Kill Team / WIP

Delta.Skies

Cant stop kitbashing, really is holding up my painting process to even get a game in. was planning on start playing in July but it might be the end of August to even have my Deathwatch painted (still have AM to do :( ) but besides the point.... ( Just another reason to not post a painted mini ) hehe

So after making the Death Reapers, I realized that my Watch Captain did not fit the bill, honestly i was just trying to make use out of a purchased gravis captain and that came about. So I thought about a little revision which of course turned into me spending MORE money, but eh... cant help when I have the itch.

After researching and seeing TURBULENCE primaris chaplain model in the WIP section it inspired me to do something of that sort. Since they are Death Reapers, I used DA Ravenwing Mechanicus Shoulder Pads and scraped the gear out

s-l1600.jpg

This is what inspired me to use the primaris model. So after a good bit of research ordered the model and a couple of things I might need if i didnt have it in my Bitz box. Parts came in today and after a few hours ....

gallery_105646_14362_62277.jpg

gallery_105646_14362_13560.jpg

gallery_105646_14362_77327.jpg

Swear to god, the hardest and longest part of this was getting that damn terminator back to fit on this model. I absolutely hate how GW decides to cast their HQs. The parts were in distinct positons that could only fit one way. I stopped taking pics of my progression because its time consuming. But through multiple mistakes I was able to get it right

Pretty much just glued the torso and back together, aimed where the two pieces met, and just sliced down. ( The problem was the right side of the model on the back end has a cloth piece that goes into the front piece, but the front piece on the left side has cloth that goes into the back end. So had to cut down to the waist then cut out. Used a grey knight terminator back piece. Had to gut out the inside of the back piece and pretty much slot fitted in there. the psychic hood had to go because it was too short but not a problem. The upper back piece is pretty much gone except for the right side where the cloth is at but it hangs in there pretty tough. placed it in and only left small gaps that i just filled in with blue tac. The arms and pads would hide most of it so mission success.

Used an Ork Nob Iron Gob as a "hood" , Khorne shoulder pad (wish i had gotten the terminator pad but they werent selling them individually) terminator arm, modified the absolver pistol because i thought it was dope not to. Tried to use a stormbolter mag, that was a no go, then a box mag, didnt look right hanging on one side, so i just used a regular bolter clip with an combi melta piece as an underslung.

gallery_105646_14362_38805.jpg

Really wanted to add some pizzazz to the captain to match the sergeant so I attempted to make a tyranid gauntlet. This prove to be a nogo.

s-l500.jpg

I first attempted to do it on the right arm positioned just like the chaplain, but kept running int problems due to its size. wanted to have the power fist fingers coming out of the mouth, and the thumb coming out of the side, and a iron man style melta barrel underneath. But had to scrap that imagination and went with a chaos power fist from the raptors collection. Used a fragstorm grenade launcher from the wulfen set. cut the tank off the flamer and attached it where the grenades are placed in the launcher. So now he has a wrist mounted melta gun on his power fist with a targeting sensor. Other than that an Ork skull that replace the pendant that suppose to go on the robe, perfect fit it was so no problems there. The book i kept because it hides the overhang of the back end of the Terminator Torso. And the book was cool so yea. The only thing im concerned about is the space on the back right shoulder, since I had to use a regular pad it feels spacious. Also I KNOW since adding the under slung melta that aesthetically it could not fit into that holster, but genuinely did not feel like cutting that thing off and potentially messing up the model so it stayed. Bothered me at first when i made the gun, but then i said F it.

OTHER THINGS I NEED OPINIONS ON FROM YOU IMAGINATIVE GUYS

Which head should I go with?

Chaplain Head

gallery_105646_14362_62277.jpg

--- or ---

Bare Head from previous Watch Captain

gallery_105646_14362_42788.jpg

ALSO ---- SHOULD I THROW THIS ON HIS BACK

gallery_105646_14362_12953.jpg

gallery_105646_14362_17420.jpg

or should I just throw a shield on his back loaded with skulls like I did with the last captain.

Thanks for reading this long ass post that took a min to write up. It is greatly appreciated, and as always all comments and opinions are appreciated. BTW not gonna ask which captain looks better. Spent more money on this guy so he is staying in. However I really wanted to make an HQ with Venerable dreadnought stats after seeing this....

36472546_10216950863511643_4773168091448

and had been following his work, so maybe I could possibly do it with a gravis captain and see about bulking him up without making him look like a centurion or something

Kitbashing is a great distraction from painting, isn't it! ;)

I'm exactly the same, just kitbashed a set of assassins (Eversor, Callidus, Culexus) while my ETL vow veterans sit at my painting table...

Anyhow, that's a great looking Captain! That primaris chaplain is such a great model to work off of (I've made a Watchmaster from one), so it was great to see that you could keep the best elements of that model while adding the signature details of a Terminator. Here are my thoughts (for what they're worth)...

- The holster... I removed it from mine because it also bugged me that my watchmaster wasn't carrying a pistol. It might be super difficult to remove yours now, but if you find something to cover up the space it could look really good. I went with a book and grenades:

- The head? The original makes it look a bit more obviously a primaris chaplain kitbash, so I'd switch it up. The bare head is a good one, but I think a reiver head with the bare scalp + skull face could look a little better.

- The trophy head on the back? You spent so much effort giving him the iconic terminator back and that giant tyranid head would essentially cover it completely, which would be a shame. I get that you want to include it somehow, but it's a bit too big.... maybe chopping off its lower jaw and incorporating it into his basing?

Keep up the great lookin work!

Kitbashing is a great distraction from painting, isn't it! :wink:

I'm exactly the same, just kitbashed a set of assassins (Eversor, Callidus, Culexus) while my ETL vow veterans sit at my painting table...

Anyhow, that's a great looking Captain! That primaris chaplain is such a great model to work off of (I've made a Watchmaster from one), so it was great to see that you could keep the best elements of that model while adding the signature details of a Terminator. Here are my thoughts (for what they're worth)...

- The holster... I removed it from mine because it also bugged me that my watchmaster wasn't carrying a pistol. It might be super difficult to remove yours now, but if you find something to cover up the space it could look really good. I went with a book and grenades:

- The head? The original makes it look a bit more obviously a primaris chaplain kitbash, so I'd switch it up. The bare head is a good one, but I think a reiver head with the bare scalp + skull face could look a little better.

- The trophy head on the back? You spent so much effort giving him the iconic terminator back and that giant tyranid head would essentially cover it completely, which would be a shame. I get that you want to include it somehow, but it's a bit too big.... maybe chopping off its lower jaw and incorporating it into his basing?

Keep up the great lookin work!

- Holster -

Yea I had thought about taking it off but was wrapped up in the terminator back that i kindof forgot. till i started working on the pistol then looked and was like this is way too big to fit, but 80% of the model had been done. It wasnt annoying to cut off was it, I feel like I wouldnt have anything to replace it with. I have the book on his left hip already to hide the gap.

Love your watchmaster by the way, love the integration of the xeno blade and gaurdian spear. and the tyranid skull in the middle. whats in his left hand though im curious.

- Head -

Your right the hood still gives a strong chaplain presence, but I was only going that route cause of the shoulder pads the other reapers had. I have the chaplain helm, bare head, and jp watch captain head ima see when i go to switch out, but i think I would probably be sticking with the original ( only cause i wouldnt have any other model to put the chaplain head on, maybe a librarian, shrugs )

- Carnifex -

Yea your'e right, everyone else in the FB group said the same thing, too big, should go on a base or something, or i might just put it on a dreadnought. Think i was just trying to imitate the sergeant but a different flow. Just didnt work out. but eh

- Side Notes -

Thinking about giving him wings to fee out some space so that it will give him the grim reaper appeal ( just wish I had my High Elf Pegasus model lying about here somewhere and take those wings. 

- Holster -

Yea I had thought about taking it off but was wrapped up in the terminator back that i kindof forgot. till i started working on the pistol then looked and was like this is way too big to fit, but 80% of the model had been done. It wasnt annoying to cut off was it, I feel like I wouldnt have anything to replace it with. I have the book on his left hip already to hide the gap.

Love your watchmaster by the way, love the integration of the xeno blade and gaurdian spear. and the tyranid skull in the middle. whats in his left hand though im curious.

- Head -

Your right the hood still gives a strong chaplain presence, but I was only going that route cause of the shoulder pads the other reapers had. I have the chaplain helm, bare head, and jp watch captain head ima see when i go to switch out, but i think I would probably be sticking with the original ( only cause i wouldnt have any other model to put the chaplain head on, maybe a librarian, shrugs )

- Carnifex -

Yea your'e right, everyone else in the FB group said the same thing, too big, should go on a base or something, or i might just put it on a dreadnought. Think i was just trying to imitate the sergeant but a different flow. Just didnt work out. but eh

- Side Notes -

Thinking about giving him wings to fee out some space so that it will give him the grim reaper appeal ( just wish I had my High Elf Pegasus model lying about here somewhere and take those wings. 

Well, the holster wasn't -that- difficult to remove although it definitely needed to be covered up afterwards because the belts and chains that should be under it are difficult to replicate... at this point I wouldn't bother on yours, but I've seen a few people just cut the grip from a weapon that doesn't have the hand molded to it and carefully place it so it looks like pistol is just in the holster.

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with the watchmaster, he's bigger and more imposing than the regular one. I was trying to make a different version of the forearm clavis so he's got a necron orb in his left hand (from the necron overlord) and a funky looking terminal on his forearm (from the Necromunda Van Saar gang)... maybe I'll replace it...

The chaplain head looks really good there, I wonder how difficult it'd be to carefully trim out the face and put another under that hood? Definitely possible I think, but risky! ;)

Integrating that carnifex head into the melta-fist could have looked amazing but I can see why it wouldn't work out, oh well...

Wings might be a good place to include some of that tyranid feel, maybe those bony projections that tyranids have on their backs or something like Lictor claws instead of literal wings?

I think the Chaplain looks better with the skull helm- it's a badge of his office, like a crozius arcanum or the rosarius.

As for the Tyranid head, the one in the picture is too big to mount on his back, and will make the Chaplain look unbalanced. On the other hand, if you put it in his gauntlet, i.e., make it look as if the Chaplain tore the Tyranid's head off with his ceramite-coated hands...

- Holster -

- Head -

- Carnifex -

- Side Notes -

Well, the holster wasn't -that- difficult to remove although it definitely needed to be covered up afterwards because the belts and chains that should be under it are difficult to replicate... at this point I wouldn't bother on yours, but I've seen a few people just cut the grip from a weapon that doesn't have the hand molded to it and carefully place it so it looks like pistol is just in the holster.

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with the watchmaster, he's bigger and more imposing than the regular one. I was trying to make a different version of the forearm clavis so he's got a necron orb in his left hand (from the necron overlord) and a funky looking terminal on his forearm (from the Necromunda Van Saar gang)... maybe I'll replace it...

The chaplain head looks really good there, I wonder how difficult it'd be to carefully trim out the face and put another under that hood? Definitely possible I think, but risky! :wink:

Integrating that carnifex head into the melta-fist could have looked amazing but I can see why it wouldn't work out, oh well...

Wings might be a good place to include some of that tyranid feel, maybe those bony projections that tyranids have on their backs or something like Lictor claws instead of literal wings?

- i should had done it with a smaller head, but i thought it was possible, should have known though -

- Ive checked out the tyranid wings, there rather big and stupid expensive ($27)

- and the bitz for the clavis is a good idea, i know its a pain to find it cause the only bit we have is captain artemis and watchmaster

- i might go looking in the fantasy section, maybe some eldar scourges i believe -

I think the Chaplain looks better with the skull helm- it's a badge of his office, like a crozius arcanum or the rosarius.

As for the Tyranid head, the one in the picture is too big to mount on his back, and will make the Chaplain look unbalanced. On the other hand, if you put it in his gauntlet, i.e., make it look as if the Chaplain tore the Tyranid's head off with his ceramite-coated hands...

- Its a Watch Captain, not a chaplain. but i know what i was getting myself into when i bought the model :) -

- and that is a dope idea, think its still might be too big, but may provide a viable option -

had to take comp days so decided to try to finish building this kill team. Also deciding to switch up paint schemes. So will be working on that soon as well (3rd times the charm). So the bulk of the force, 10 man Deep Strike Kill Team.

gallery_105646_14362_32606.jpg

Watch Sergeant & Blackshield

gallery_105646_14362_80375.jpg

Shield Brothers

gallery_105646_14362_401404.jpg

Sword Brothers

gallery_105646_14362_63532.jpg

- one on the left was fun and a shoutout to the berserker predator in the 2o1o movie predators -

Frag Cannon

gallery_105646_14362_18880.jpg

gallery_105646_14362_67106.jpg

- wanted a more mobile frag cannon and paying homage to the predator concept to go along with the kill team. Wrist mount is for the longer range profile, and the back mount is for the short range. -

Terminators

gallery_105646_14362_195394.jpg

Vanguard Vet

gallery_105646_14362_243704.jpg

Wolf Head

- was trying out this concept to make a wolf helmet after watching Rampage and seeing the wolf fly. Ran through a bit of complications fitting it in. And I still need to find out how to do proper slashed battle damage, but either way tell me what you think -

gallery_105646_14362_160373.jpg

gallery_105646_14362_231372.jpg

gallery_105646_14362_708373.jpg

If it goes well thinking bout nicknaming him The Flying Wolf idk yet we will see.

As always hope you like

Did you make the "flying wolf" by combining parts from Dark Angels and Space Wolves models? How ironic.

Head is from the SW axe, cut to fit with DA wings. The rest is the fell hand model with sanguinary jump pack

• 2 weeks later...

Kicking off August with updates, I have yet to find a decent color scheme to match these guys. Changed up from the previous I had before. Going with a more grey approach, and keeping the gold down a bit. doing more research and cross comparison between deathwatch inspiration and predator inspiration to get it right. Meanwhile started up an Instagram page to follow more of my kitbashing and Yaujta WIP ( mad.hattenstein / got some things cooking up ) But anyways ...... an update / upgrade ....

gallery_105646_14362_59602.jpg

so i got carried away again but he needed filling out. Slightly annoying attaching this to his terminator back. But got through it. The glue to attach the wings obscured a few details in the wings, but its not bad.
Nickname: Grim
Captain of the Death Reapers
(Watch Captain In Terminator Armor)
- a unit of scourges thought it wise to engage him, they were wrong ... it is said that he ripped the wings clean from a solarite, uttering the words, "you are not the bringer of death. I am... "
gallery_105646_14362_11038.jpg
gallery_105646_14362_11345.jpg
gallery_105646_14362_31151.jpg
gallery_105646_14362_35149.jpg
Working on another yaujta blooded unit. Small vet team traveling in a razor back. Might make another large killteam but that's way down the line. Sn I actually love the deathwatch kill team models, but they were always charging a bit too much for the torsos, legs and backpack so I broke down and bought a box (2nd box purchase since starting.) with one of the veterans, I tried to make the first xeno kill symbol from AVP, but the xacto blade slipped away from me, but plenty of heads to try again. Think my line of sight for the arm and head pose is off and have to re position the stormbolter ( just noticed it today ) Anyway hope you like, and hopefully I will find my colors and bring these guys to life for you and me. :)

Been running a couple of practice games, the misses was interested so she started to actively learn, which helps me remember EVERYTHING ( all the math and tactics working both sides ) so havent had much time to kitbash, much less paint ( still trying to stick to a color scheme but havent gotten it down yet ) including working on other things. So last night decided to work on 3 multiple models in one night. I do admit, only one model is meant for play, the others are fluff wise. Definitely worked on a model that im quite proud of. Still have work to do on him (more shaving than anything but you get reckless trying to get to a stopping point at 3 am ) but for the most part I like where it's going. May need a bigger base for scenery. Part of my yaujta themed deathwatch company. Titled Gaurdian (watch captain) he is the bodyguard of my clan leader (watchmaster) and is the original hunting partner when the clan leader was merely a young blood and accompanies his clan leader during his ritual hunts and into battle. Guardians forfeit over their rights as leaders of units to protect the clan leader and uphold the code if the clan leader was to fall in battle until a new clan leader is elected. He himself has every right to place his name into the trials, for he holds one of the highest honors in the clan.

He would only be included in supreme command detachments if I choose to play him, other than that. Fluff purposes to keep my kitbashin juices flowing. Thinking of adding a librarian as a guardian to the fluff but I would probably make that one a magnetized hybrid.

gallery_105646_14362_27154.jpg

Also ... A peek at something I'm working on that will take a lil bit of time getting the details in without him looking a certain way and fitting the bill. But I'm sure you guys will recognize it.

gallery_105646_14362_19227.jpg

Anyway hope you like, will keep this updated despite my busy schedule. :)

another late night build, wanted to finish the foundation of my fluff supreme command yaujta deathwatch detachment (say that 3 times fast) with another dryfit sesh. Once again, Gaurdian (watch captain) title given up to those who forfeit the opportunity to be a captain of a unit for the sole responsibility of guarding the clan leader (watch master & and I gotta come up with a better title name) fun build, got a lil lazy at the end. Satisfied but still have more to go on them. A small revamp coming to my watchmaster. Either way, hope you like.

SN: idk how, and find it hilarious that I did this, but I have 2 different handles on the power axe. Mind you I switched pieces 3 times for fitting purposes and ended up miss matching the pattern.

-- also, I bought that helmet 5 months ago and finally found a decent home after several attempts to place it elsewhere --

gallery_105646_14362_36503.jpg

gallery_105646_14362_13039.jpg

gallery_105646_14362_2401.jpg

gallery_105646_14362_25308.jpg

gallery_105646_14362_49738.jpg

Thank goodness for an unlockable mouse wheel, so many lovely conversions.

awww man, greatly appreciate that. :)

Uprgraded my workstation this weekend.

38631100 10217232146743548 3268457493642084352 O

So it was only right that i break it in with a conversion. Received my commisar for my AM detachment that i had intent on converting. Simple but i like it, my army are pretty much rogue squadrons, they dont follow stern military tactics. Pretty much unified mercenaries, for a platoon of guevesa were traded to the inquisitor. my AM commanders are experienced acolytes of the inquisitor in charge of running these grunts. and thought they should look the part
gallery_105646_14362_619.jpg
gallery_105646_14362_31879.jpg
gallery_105646_14362_17178.jpg
- also would like to state, that yes I will be starting to paint soon, not too much more modeling to do. Any other kitbashes would be posted on my IG page. But yes i need to stop postponing and get started. :)

Small updates in between ....

1. I will FINALLY START PAINTING AGAIN

2. really enjoying the organization of my new desk, should make painting way more easier. :)

3. had some things come in and since im pretty much done building DW aside from a few things not on my main list, I detoured to work on some other things

Company Commander #2

gallery_105646_14362_21508.jpg

gallery_105646_14362_38786.jpg

Originally my inquisitor, wanted to go a different route, so I turned him into a company commander

Fluff: Company Commanders are the inquisitors acolytes that have proved to be tactical, brave, and overcome the horrors of xeno & chaos. More tactics than strength they are promoted to company commanders of the Rogue Militarum that were obtain through the trading with TAU and receiving Gue'vesa to fill out the inquisitors force

Two Company Commanders

gallery_105646_14362_14076.jpg

They honestly can double up as inquisitors, but eh.. we will see

TEST BUILD XENO INQUISITOR

gallery_105646_14362_21580.jpg

gallery_105646_14362_28795.jpg

gallery_105646_14362_12483.jpg

- a test build to represent the leader of this madness, just trying stuff out that I had around. He is currently in his ceremonial armor ( when he knows he is going to battle ) thinking about making him more human like and building him in his rogue armor ( used for trading, interrogations, negotiations and etc )

Revision of My Jump Pack Captain

gallery_105646_14362_41942.jpg

Spontaneously decided that I could do better modeling him, I had bought a kill team box and had some extra heavy hammers in there. so I decided to use them. Like this version better, more of an intimidating pose and what not

Pretty much going to venture into the idea of True Scale Grey Knights for fun, and the use of Blood Angels for competitive list that will make my Yaujta Deathwatch go a long way. Appreciate the likes, comments, and just viewing. Will be painting soon, may post progress pics, but who knows. Have an idea of the color scheme I was going for. it was a hard battle tween grey undercoat with washes and just black with a certain highlight and extended use of gold, but i think I figured out what i want to do. Wish me luck dx_ob

Great stuff, you've got such a creative use of bits!!!

I especially like the sister of silence shoulder pads used as shin guards on your commissar / company commander, and the rotated stormcast shoulders on your inquisitor, those were great ideas! Likewise, the saurus war club used on your other company commander is a great choice, very suitably xenos looking (it'd also make a great looking chainsword)... where's that company commanders head from?

Just my personal opinion, one thing I'd consider is changing the power maul on your inquisitor, it just looks a little plain (and big?) for him when compared to all your other work, it needs a little more "oomph" to suit his status and match his armour.

Keep up the kick ass work!

Great stuff, you've got such a creative use of bits!!!

I especially like the sister of silence shoulder pads used as shin guards on your commissar / company commander, and the rotated stormcast shoulders on your inquisitor, those were great ideas! Likewise, the saurus war club used on your other company commander is a great choice, very suitably xenos looking (it'd also make a great looking chainsword)... where's that company commanders head from?

Just my personal opinion, one thing I'd consider is changing the power maul on your inquisitor, it just looks a little plain (and big?) for him when compared to all your other work, it needs a little more "oomph" to suit his status and match his armour.

Keep up the kick ass work!

Thanks man, appreciate it. tbh the reason they were flipped was because on arm is a full scion arm and the other is 50 / 50 marine shoulder and scion arm. couldnt find any scion pieces to throw together. As far as the head, i believe they are dune crawler heads. just tried to check my purchase history, but no luck, but definitely admech, but im pretty sure they were dunecrawler heads that i purchased

and i couldnt agree with you more, didnt like the look when i put it up. Not even sure if he can take it if i make him a psyker, will look it up. but yea you are right, I was gonna do like i did with the Reaper. 4 hamers and 2 blades. but I dont know, i may just need to give him a staff and call it a day.

Appreciate your input man and taking the time out to write it out. you are right, it would need more oomph, but we will see. Will be attempting to make a more human inquisitor. just have to research more.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on whats been going on and to show off a lil sumtn sumtn.

- Currently started painting. Had a work trip in cleveland so i decided to take a unit. Forgot to pack primer, but after spending about 20 bucks to get too and from I was able to get what I DIDNT NEED. bought black primer when i needed grey but was pressed for time that i instinctively bought black primer that i couldnt take back so I guess that was a good thing. However my color scheme was to match the Red Scorpion scheme with some tweaks to it, and just didnt have the grey i wanted to get out of it after painting. Too light, did a nuln oil wash and realized how tedious and annoying it was going to be to clean this up. So i called it a fail and brought them back, but not after my nuln oil exploded on the plane and stained every paint bottle i brought. So have to wash them off.... yipppeeee

- In other news I have been working on a blood angels detachment to fill in the close combat / anti tank & hq that i believe my yaujta needed without lacking in one department, this woudl be my competive fun list.

With that in mind i wanted to show you my captain slam, that brings these two detachments together. Even though my deathwatch company is mostly black shields, does not mean they dont take on new recruits that are still loyal to their chapter through out their expeditions. Thus coming in an exceptional blood angels vet who excelled in battle, and grasped onto the concept of trophy hunting and challenging foes to appease his blood lust. Eventually honoring his duty he went back to his company and eventually became a captain. The Yaujta code still built within him he challenges his former clan leader to see which army can claim the biggest game. ( Still filling this out, may have some holes in this, will further research when i write out my army book)

My first test build of this captain came out a bit plain compared to the other hqs in the supreme command detachment. Using the base of a stormcast prosecutor, he just was not enough.

gallery_105646_14861_25997.jpg

so I decided to amp him up a bit. Couple of hrs and small bit placement I like the revision better. More intimidating and lore wise he would be the connection to allying my yaujta deathwatch and blood Angel's.

gallery_105646_14861_42531.jpg

gallery_105646_14861_46064.jpg

I saw on pinterest somebody used a grey knight terminator torso and regular space marine back, so I used that idea but couldn't get it right. So I shaved off the bulk of the terminators back, glued a nurgle cape to the back. Melt the two pieces together and filed it smooth. Messed up on the hood when melting so cut that down and used an ork iron nob jaw as a hood / trophy that came together nicely. With accessories to fill in the gaps to mask the bulkiness of his armor.

gallery_105646_14861_46067.jpg

gallery_105646_14861_23380.jpg

On the back of the wings was a stormcast emblem, scraped it off but didnt know what to throw in the, my scrape job was not as clean so I threw him a backup knife just in case he got shot down, disarmed or so.

gallery_105646_14861_54764.jpg

gallery_105646_14861_17636.jpg

The deathwatch shield and pad came about last minute. But I really liked the shield better than my custom one. So the captain ended up being the link to my deathwatch and blood Angel's being allies.

This guy was fun to build a tad bit on the bulky side but I like it that way. I actually cant wait to paint and play him. Either way I hope you all like.

- I finished off the detachment now its back to paint and side building some random models, Ive posted a glimpse of him on here, but mostly in the 40k converters group and Deathwatch on facebook, but ran into a road block when it came down to his gauntlets and what i wanted to do -

Other than that, if you wanted to see the rest of the hqs, i may post them on here if you guys would like or you could head over to the blood angels thread and look for supreme command detachment WIP and see for yourself. :)

Just an update on whats been going on and to show off a lil sumtn sumtn.

- Currently started painting. Had a work trip in cleveland so i decided to take a unit. Forgot to pack primer, but after spending about 20 bucks to get too and from I was able to get what I DIDNT NEED. bought black primer when i needed grey but was pressed for time that i instinctively bought black primer that i couldnt take back so I guess that was a good thing. However my color scheme was to match the Red Scorpion scheme with some tweaks to it, and just didnt have the grey i wanted to get out of it after painting. Too light, did a nuln oil wash and realized how tedious and annoying it was going to be to clean this up. So i called it a fail and brought them back, but not after my nuln oil exploded on the plane and stained every paint bottle i brought. So have to wash them off.... yipppeeee

- In other news I have been working on a blood angels detachment to fill in the close combat / anti tank & hq that i believe my yaujta needed without lacking in one department, this woudl be my competive fun list.

With that in mind i wanted to show you my captain slam, that brings these two detachments together. Even though my deathwatch company is mostly black shields, does not mean they dont take on new recruits that are still loyal to their chapter through out their expeditions. Thus coming in an exceptional blood angels vet who excelled in battle, and grasped onto the concept of trophy hunting and challenging foes to appease his blood lust. Eventually honoring his duty he went back to his company and eventually became a captain. The Yaujta code still built within him he challenges his former clan leader to see which army can claim the biggest game. ( Still filling this out, may have some holes in this, will further research when i write out my army book)

My first test build of this captain came out a bit plain compared to the other hqs in the supreme command detachment. Using the base of a stormcast prosecutor, he just was not enough.

gallery_105646_14861_25997.jpg

so I decided to amp him up a bit. Couple of hrs and small bit placement I like the revision better. More intimidating and lore wise he would be the connection to allying my yaujta deathwatch and blood Angel's.

gallery_105646_14861_42531.jpg

gallery_105646_14861_46064.jpg

I saw on pinterest somebody used a grey knight terminator torso and regular space marine back, so I used that idea but couldn't get it right. So I shaved off the bulk of the terminators back, glued a nurgle cape to the back. Melt the two pieces together and filed it smooth. Messed up on the hood when melting so cut that down and used an ork iron nob jaw as a hood / trophy that came together nicely. With accessories to fill in the gaps to mask the bulkiness of his armor.

gallery_105646_14861_46067.jpg

gallery_105646_14861_23380.jpg

On the back of the wings was a stormcast emblem, scraped it off but didnt know what to throw in the, my scrape job was not as clean so I threw him a backup knife just in case he got shot down, disarmed or so.

gallery_105646_14861_54764.jpg

gallery_105646_14861_17636.jpg

The deathwatch shield and pad came about last minute. But I really liked the shield better than my custom one. So the captain ended up being the link to my deathwatch and blood Angel's being allies.

This guy was fun to build a tad bit on the bulky side but I like it that way. I actually cant wait to paint and play him. Either way I hope you all like.

- I finished off the detachment now its back to paint and side building some random models, Ive posted a glimpse of him on here, but mostly in the 40k converters group and Deathwatch on facebook, but ran into a road block when it came down to his gauntlets and what i wanted to do -

Other than that, if you wanted to see the rest of the hqs, i may post them on here if you guys would like or you could head over to the blood angels thread and look for supreme command detachment WIP and see for yourself. :smile.:

Quite epic -- I'm going to have to steal a few ideas -- I really like the use of the bone ornaments as things like the collar armour rings.

Daaaaamn, now -that- is a kitbash!

Cpt. Hammerpants v.2 definitely looks more epic, you really filled him out with the extra details! I love almost absolutely everything about him so I won't write a long list of that, but there are a couple things that seem less epic than the rest of him.

- The dagger on his back looks both a little plain and something he'd have a lot of difficulty reaching.

- The wings on the hammer are a great idea, and really should be there, but I wonder if there's a way to make them look less bolted on... removing the reverse head of the hammer might work, but you'd lose too much of its mass... so I'm not sure how to work that out.

- The v.1 shield was really ornate but the stock DW v.2 shield is quite simple by comparison, which works well... but maybe it needs a little more to set it apart from a regular DW veterans storm shield? Maybe lots of purity seals?

Just to be clear, I really really like it!

Daaaaamn, now -that- is a kitbash!

Cpt. Hammerpants v.2 definitely looks more epic, you really filled him out with the extra details! I love almost absolutely everything about him so I won't write a long list of that, but there are a couple things that seem less epic than the rest of him.

- The dagger on his back looks both a little plain and something he'd have a lot of difficulty reaching.

- The wings on the hammer are a great idea, and really should be there, but I wonder if there's a way to make them look less bolted on... removing the reverse head of the hammer might work, but you'd lose too much of its mass... so I'm not sure how to work that out.

- The v.1 shield was really ornate but the stock DW v.2 shield is quite simple by comparison, which works well... but maybe it needs a little more to set it apart from a regular DW veterans storm shield? Maybe lots of purity seals?

Just to be clear, I really really like it!

Had a discussion about this in the FB group:

- yea the more i look at it the more im bleh about it, and thought if he crashed or got disarmed that would be backup but not necessary, someone suggested a boltgun but im am very much open to ideas to filling that space in.

- also noted, luckily i still have a BA hammer because i used a BA Termie captain model in my deepstrike team, so the hammer i still have, so i will be essentially switching the hammers and giving the BA captains hammer to a Thunder hammer / Shield Death Reaper that will be my Sergeant if i wanna do an hq switch, next go around. I think i will melt and file it a bit to smooth it into the hammer or just GS the gaps whichever works, but I like playing with fire than i do with putty so we will see how that goes when i get there.

- and you are right, it is simple. He is a decorated captain after all and brought it back from his DW tour, i should  heighten it up a bit, but i love the look of the shield to the point i didnt want to touch it. ( I have this same problem with the watchmasters gaurdian spear, since its my only one, i didnt want to mess it up ) I have some purity seals and scrolls left, but i guess i can throw in some bullet holes, purity seals on it, but the overhaul would kick in. What else do you suggest on the shield.

39861887_10217346347198488_3266566363707

Just another view from the version 1 with the shield.

39752003_10217346491282090_2676372724057

what do you think about the helmet

I'd think about saving that space between the wings as a spot for a trophy or reliquary, something that wouldn't get in the way of his wings. As for a backup weapon, he does have a pistol. so perhaps moving the dagger to his other hip or the side of one of his shins? Or something more ornate like the daggers the custodes come with?

The DW shield is a good fit and the contrast of spartan DW vs. ornate BA looks good, so just some subtle additions like battle damage and plenty of purity seals should be enough... but I've thought about placing spikes at the three circular nodes (two at the top, one at the bottom) to make it a bit more aggressive.

Oh, and I like the helmet! It looks good and I find helmets way easier to paint... ;)

Edited by mjrwaud