Questions on using enamel washes over acrylic paint...

I recently finished a tank for my 30k army and decided to use an enamel track wash to weather and shade the tracks and it raised a few questions that I hope my veteran brothers and sisters might be able to answer for me.

1) How long must you let it dry before you can handle it?

2) Can you use regular acrylic or polyurethane clear coat over the enamel?

3) How long should you wait before adding a clear coat or varnish to it?

4) If you can't use acrylic clear coat on it what can you use and what do you recommend as a good sealer/varnish in place of the acrylic to protect the paint and model?

Thank you for taking the time to read my questions and thank you once again if you have taken the time to respond. I have always had problems with varnishes and clear coats in the past so I wanted your advice before doing this one. Cheers all!!!

I've never had any problem with any clear coat over an enamel wash. HOWEVER, make sure you get a good coat or two of gloss sealer over the acrylic paint before you use the wash. The solvents in the wash will eat your nice paint job for breakfast otherwise. I usually give 24 hours for the enamel to dry throughly then hit it with your matte sealer to finish.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

1) depends on the wash and what you thin with (if anything). It'll probably be touch dry in half an hour to an hour. You will be able to reactivate with a qtip damp in solvent to clean up areas, i.e. mineral spirit (weak) or lacquer thinner (strong)

2) Yes to both, as long as it's fully dry; just go with desired finish.

3) the longer the better, but I'd recommend 24-48 hours.

I'd also strongly recommend a (non acrylic) gloss clearcoat over the dry acrylic base coat; lacquer thinner is a hot solvent and can damage even dry acrylic, though you can get away with it in small doses. For a full wash, I wouldn't risk it. A gloss coat will help the wash flow better compared to matt.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to thank both of you for the excellent information you have shared with me. I do appreciate the help and I regret I did not have time to thank you until now.

I used a Mig track wash and odorless thinner. I ended up waiting about 48 hours for it to dry just to be safe. Then used my normal polyurethane clear coat. It worked out fine.

I would like to know what non-acrylic gloss sealer or clear coat you use Arkhanist? Or what would you recommend? I currently use Vallejo with a airbrush and Testors lusterless flat in a rattle can sometimes but I am still looking for a good product to make my go to sealer and clear coat.

Archived