Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Did Golden age of man fight off a Tyranid invasion?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Triszin

Triszin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,298 posts

Golden age man and men of iron created the knights, and weapons that is still being recovered today.

my question is, did hte tyranids try to invade the galaxy when they were at the height, so humans treated it as a bug infestation. created knights of endless variety and strength and purged most of them from the galaxy?

now the nids return again

banana

helterskelter

helterskelter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,178 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords Legion
It was the blood gorgons...

And I don't believe so, the nids were put devouring some other part of the universe at that point if they were about at all
  • Indefragable likes this
gallery_48988_10980_7442.png

My referal code for eternal crusade:EC-MHXKY9RLYIIEH

phoenix01

phoenix01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 162 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines

Spoiler

Edited by WarriorFish, 23 May 2018 - 06:44 PM.
Correct spoiler tags added

• m0nolith and Spyros like this
Captain Fabian
Album: Ultramarines
26 images
0 comments

8.jpg

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,824 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Isn't there in-universe (and thus also reader/player-level information) speculation that a scout element of the Tyranid fleets landed on Catachan waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back? And then a combo of losing touch + the already nasty environment meant that 'Nid bio strains mutated into the environment there.

Hence why even the roses eat your face when you stop to smell them and Catachan biceps count as Monstrous Creatures.

• Cruor Vault, Brother Lunkhead and Shinespider like this

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12,769 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

Unlikely humankind ever fought against the Tyranids before. If they did, the Emperor would've known about such a huge threat waiting just outside of the galaxy but his only real concern were the powers of chaos the whole time.

In fact creating Space Marines is what allowed the Tyranids to develop the Tyranid Warriors so by creating Space Marines he indirectly made the Tyranids stronger while it's perfectly possible to fight against them without genetically engineered super soldiers (and lets pray that no Hive Fleet ever gets their hands on a Primarch ...)

However it seems that at least one tiny hive fleet found its way into the galaxy at least once in the past considering the Catachan Devils and Genestealer are a thing.

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,603 posts
  • Faction: To be decided later
Take it with a grain of salt, but IIRC Ciaphas Cain found some tyranids encased in ice for a couple of thousand years.
  • Ficinus likes this

Ficinus

Ficinus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 320 posts
Aren't the Kraken on Fenris also speculated to be Tryanids? As well as a bunch of other randomly gribbly monsters on random planets (in addition to the above mentioned Catachan Devil)? It seems possible that a Tyranid invasion came and was wiped out afnd the second invasion is only related in that it is the same species (after 10k+ years of engineered evolution).

Also, if the Emperor was aware of the Tyranids, He might have known they were about ten thousand years away from coming, whereas Chaos is already here.

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 311 posts
The Galaxy may have encountered scattered individual Hive ships and fleets before, whereas the Pharos drew ALL the Tyranid Hive Fleets within sensory range. Could be that the Tyranids are typically less concentrated than the Milky Way currently has the misfortune of experiencing.

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,131 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Unlikely humankind ever fought against the Tyranids before. If they did, the Emperor would've known about such a huge threat waiting just outside of the galaxy but his only real concern were the powers of chaos the whole time.

In fact creating Space Marines is what allowed the Tyranids to develop the Tyranid Warriors so by creating Space Marines he indirectly made the Tyranids stronger while it's perfectly possible to fight against them without genetically engineered super soldiers (and lets pray that no Hive Fleet ever gets their hands on a Primarch ...)

Tyranid Warriors have nothing to do with Space Marines it was the 3rd ed Tyrant Guard which were supposed to have Space Marine DNA

• D3L likes this

Aothaine

Aothaine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,914 posts
  • Faction: Flesh Tearers

The Galaxy may have encountered scattered individual Hive ships and fleets before, whereas the Pharos drew ALL the Tyranid Hive Fleets within sensory range. Could be that the Tyranids are typically less concentrated than the Milky Way currently has the misfortune of experiencing.

Also need to remember that it takes time for the Tyranid fleets to travel. Sure they travel fast. But not warp fast and traveling between galaxies... well takes forever. Maybe some tyranid ships were flung far out by some other species that was fighting them? Similar to the Necron drives? That was one of my favorite things about Necrons. Their Tech just being incredibly advanced. I don't know if the background has changed now though but I do know that the Tyranids avoid their planets at all costs.

"Death before Dishonor! No Mercy!" - Captain Donatello of the Roaring Lions!

gallery_62972_14467_40478.png

Jarl Caldersson

Jarl Caldersson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,944 posts
  • Faction: Blood of Fenris

Also need to remember that it takes time for the Tyranid fleets to travel. Sure they travel fast. But not warp fast and traveling between galaxies... well takes forever. Maybe some tyranid ships were flung far out by some other species that was fighting them? Similar to the Necron drives? That was one of my favorite things about Necrons. Their Tech just being incredibly advanced. I don't know if the background has changed now though but I do know that the Tyranids avoid their planets at all costs.

Necrons are like the anti-tyranid. Necron are self resurrecting and inedible. So when Tyranids attack necron they take massive losses with little bio matter absorbed and end up losing even if they win the battle because it took more bio matter than they gained. Eventually a Tyranids attack against Necrons would cause the kids to starve.

sml_gallery_69091_12729_6611.jpggallery_4664_11830_1029.jpeg

"It has been said that the Lord of Ultramar sees little else besides the primacy of his own culture. For him, all worlds might as well be Ultramar." - Diplomat Pyke

"I would have expected that suggestion from Ferrus, or maybe even Horus, but never Russ. He has a hidden depth that one" - Primarch Fulgrim

"The Wolves were the Emperor’s red right hand–monsters in their own way–but how easy it was to only see the savage, to fear the axe and miss the subtle knife." - Prmomus

Aothaine

Aothaine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,914 posts
  • Faction: Flesh Tearers

Necrons are like the anti-tyranid. Necron are self resurrecting and inedible. So when Tyranids attack necron they take massive losses with little bio matter absorbed and end up losing even if they win the battle because it took more bio matter than they gained. Eventually a Tyranids attack against Necrons would cause the kids to starve.

True but there is something else involved as well. One of the old T'au dexes and the old Necron dex points out that people researching it show that Tyranids travel longer distances to avoid encountering the Necrons.

"Death before Dishonor! No Mercy!" - Captain Donatello of the Roaring Lions!

gallery_62972_14467_40478.png

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 533 posts
  • Faction: Space Marines, Necrons

True but there is something else involved as well. One of the old T'au dexes and the old Necron dex points out that people researching it show that Tyranids travel longer distances to avoid encountering the Necrons.

I think that is at least in part because Necron worlds have null field matricies, which have been theorized to have a deleterious effect on the hive mind.

Not sure deleterious is the right word but I think you get what I mean.

• Aothaine likes this

Dosjeska: But then again we are Iron Hands, we will use a hammer as a scalpel. Ace Debonair: Loyalists bow to The Emperor, Heretics bow to their Dark Gods, but everybody bows to Captain Semper. Brian Blaire: Bolted for emphasis

There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. -anon [][] Laus Alit Artes-Praise Nourishes the Arts

ETL_Medal_01.gifETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_03_.jpggallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_4664_12529_16642.jpgDawn Blades Iron Gauntlet Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch's Workshop

Dawn Blades: W/L/D: 1/7/1 wh40k 0/0/0 Kill Team

Naculan Dynasty: W/L/D: 0/0/0 wh40k 1/0/0 Kill Team

Dreagher

Dreagher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 342 posts
  • Faction: World Eaters 121st Company

There doesn't have to be. It makes perfect sense for them to avoid them, simply because they are another predator. If they don't have to fight for the same prey, it just wouldn't make sense for the tyranids to throw away lots of resources just to take them down, if just ignoring them could achieve the same thing.

L_T_3_2017_Medals.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifgallery_30308_9518_17558.pnggallery_48988_11572_13725.pnggallery_48988_10069_73849.png

Lord_Caerolion

Lord_Caerolion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,786 posts
  • Faction: Lamenters

I always kinda assumed that the Catachan Devil/Fenrisian Kraken were more just a case of in-universe rumour. "Wow, these Catachan Devils are really nasty! Tyranids are really nasty too! They must be related!"

• Sandlemad and Leif Bearclaw like this

"And then Horus landed on the Moon, which looked like the moon. Funny that, isn't it?"

You're hired.

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12,769 posts

Nah, it's more or less a real connection. They just lived so long away from any hive mind connection that they evolved into a seperate thing. There are plenty nasty xenos lifeforms in the galaxy and there nobody says they've come from tyranids either. ^^

• Triszin likes this

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Leif Bearclaw

Leif Bearclaw

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,471 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves

Similar to the Necron drives? That was one of my favorite things about Necrons. Their Tech just being incredibly advanced. I don't know if the background has changed now though but I do know that the Tyranids avoid their planets at all costs.

Afraid not. In the 'tomb kings in space' upgrade in 5th edition (which was overall not terrible imo, apart from this thing). The Necrons lost their inertialess drives. Now they were strictly using sub light ships until they worked out how to hijack Webway gates from the Old Ones (renaming them Dolmen Gates). Which is a real shame.

Also, the Nids have a specific 'ftl bubble' ship now, which is how they travel interstellar. Called a Narvhal, it basically acts like a gravity magnet. It still raises a bunch of logistic issues, but that's hardly unusual for 40k, and the Nids in particular.

http://wh40k.lexican...om/wiki/Narvhal

• Aothaine likes this

Perry

Perry

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 837 posts
In one of the older Tyranid codexs (4th/5th) there was a section about possible earlier Hive fleets, including a snippet about an ancient Warlord Titan having Acid scarring

karden00

karden00

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 731 posts

That’s a shame. Necron tech used to be so ‘otherly’ and badass. Never mind. I won’t go down this hole again

Similar to the Necron drives? That was one of my favorite things about Necrons. Their Tech just being incredibly advanced. I don't know if the background has changed now though but I do know that the Tyranids avoid their planets at all costs.

Afraid not. In the 'tomb kings in space' upgrade in 5th edition (which was overall not terrible imo, apart from this thing). The Necrons lost their inertialess drives. Now they were strictly using sub light ships until they worked out how to hijack Webway gates from the Old Ones (renaming them Dolmen Gates). Which is a real shame.

Also, the Nids have a specific 'ftl bubble' ship now, which is how they travel interstellar. Called a Narvhal, it basically acts like a gravity magnet. It still raises a bunch of logistic issues, but that's hardly unusual for 40k, and the Nids in particular.

http://wh40k.lexican...om/wiki/Narvhal

'Lorgar has his own battles to fight, Erebus,' replied Horus sharply. 'Should he fail at Calth, all this will be for nothing if Guilliman's Legion is allowed to intervene.
You can always ally the Dark Angels to your current ultramarine force.
Never.
My Ultramarines aren't taking the field with traitors.
That's what Dark Vengeance is. A box of traitors.

"Now I have a plasma cannon. LOGISTICS LOGISTICS LOGISTICS."

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,392 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

I always thought that the species contained by the Interrex to that one planet were a Tyranid strain?

Threefold Brush Studio Cheap! Fast! Gorgeous! We ship worldwide.
SuOSJCa.png
Stormbolt & Hammer
, a new Age of Sigmar Forum!

Skaorn

Skaorn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 479 posts
I don't think that the megarachnids are linked to the Nids, just an insectil species that were scary to SM. If the Interex could disarm them and contain them on a single planet, I think any link to Nids is unlikely.

That being said, if GW did anything with 20K, I wouldn't rule out precursor Nids showing up or links to the Not the SST Arachnids.
Obed was a sailor. He sailed the seven seas. He made love to the fish. He made love to the fish.
Spaceship Zero, Insmouth Look

Kinstryfe

Kinstryfe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 980 posts
  • Faction: So many Imperials...
We have three things basically conflicting.

1. Vanguard organisms reached this Galaxy far ahead of any known main Tyranid fleet (Genestealers, etc.)
2. Multiple organisms seemingly native to planets in this Galaxy seem to be of Tyranid descent.
3. The destruction of the Pharos is what signalled the current Tyranid fleets to head toward our Galaxy.

I think it's highly likely based on 2 that Tyranids had entered our Galaxy at some point in the past, though it's unknown whether they were scouts, lost, acting on instinct, last survivors of a destroyed planet sent in a tiny rocketship to a new planet, or what. Completely speculative, but if the Hive Mind is in fact motivated by the instinct to reproduce and expand (as seems to be the Tyranids' basic motivation), it seems likely that when biomass is plentiful they would send out hivefleets all over to scout for new avenues of expansion. Given something found its way to our Galaxy at least once, it's a given that it fought something when it got here, and was unsuccessful since the milky way is home to more than just Tyranid bioforms. I think we'd need to know more before we could tell if it was human, another familiar species, or some unremembered xenos civilization they had conflict with.
gallery_26_4045_659.png

I am a filthy ETL oathbreaker. I acknowledge my failing and will be sure to correct it.

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12,769 posts

1. and 2. aren't conflicting tho.

3. isn't really conflicting either. Nothing says that the early small Tyranid fleets who have found their way into the galaxy are the same as the ones the destruction of the Pharos has drawn to the galaxy. 

Disclaimer:

BassWave

BassWave

++ INCURSUS TACITURNUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 2,872 posts
  • Faction: Legiones Astartes X
Earliest confirmed engagements with nids was after the heresy (m30ish) with hive fleet ouroboros. Vehicles that fought in those battles still carry acid burns that are consistent with tyranid attacks.

Triszin

Triszin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,298 posts

I always thought that the species contained by the Interrex to that one planet were a Tyranid strain?

from my understanding, The Mega Arachnids were a highly intelligent race that produced tech for traveling between planets, but didnt really require tech in the form of personal weapons or body armor due to their own physiology being so crazy.

They had thick natural carapace, that could survive space, and there limbs were extremely dangerous.

THe interex destroyed their ships and fleet yards, and destroyed any attempt of them to leave the planet.

until the great crusade showed up and attempt to xenocicde the preserve the interex put up.

there is always a chance more might exist.

and in my mind, the Mega arachnids reselmeed the ambull, except eh ambull was the juevenile stage of the megaarachnids.

Edited by Triszin, 28 May 2018 - 01:46 PM.

banana

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users