Did Golden age of man fight off a Tyranid invasion?

Triszin

Golden age man and men of iron created the knights, and weapons that is still being recovered today.

my question is, did hte tyranids try to invade the galaxy when they were at the height, so humans treated it as a bug infestation. created knights of endless variety and strength and purged most of them from the galaxy?

now the nids return again

According to the epilogue of Pharos, the overload of the Pharos resulted in a light that attracted the Tyrannid biofleets to our galaxy. It is implied that if the Pharos hadn't been overloaded, the Tyrannids would never have known the Milky Way existed.

Isn't there in-universe (and thus also reader/player-level information) speculation that a scout element of the Tyranid fleets landed on Catachan waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back? And then a combo of losing touch + the already nasty environment meant that 'Nid bio strains mutated into the environment there.

Hence why even the roses eat your face when you stop to smell them and Catachan biceps count as Monstrous Creatures.

Unlikely humankind ever fought against the Tyranids before. If they did, the Emperor would've known about such a huge threat waiting just outside of the galaxy but his only real concern were the powers of chaos the whole time.

In fact creating Space Marines is what allowed the Tyranids to develop the Tyranid Warriors so by creating Space Marines he indirectly made the Tyranids stronger while it's perfectly possible to fight against them without genetically engineered super soldiers (and lets pray that no Hive Fleet ever gets their hands on a Primarch ...)

However it seems that at least one tiny hive fleet found its way into the galaxy at least once in the past considering the Catachan Devils and Genestealer are a thing.

Aren't the Kraken on Fenris also speculated to be Tryanids? As well as a bunch of other randomly gribbly monsters on random planets (in addition to the above mentioned Catachan Devil)? It seems possible that a Tyranid invasion came and was wiped out afnd the second invasion is only related in that it is the same species (after 10k+ years of engineered evolution).

Also, if the Emperor was aware of the Tyranids, He might have known they were about ten thousand years away from coming, whereas Chaos is already here.

The Galaxy may have encountered scattered individual Hive ships and fleets before, whereas the Pharos drew ALL the Tyranid Hive Fleets within sensory range. Could be that the Tyranids are typically less concentrated than the Milky Way currently has the misfortune of experiencing.

Unlikely humankind ever fought against the Tyranids before. If they did, the Emperor would've known about such a huge threat waiting just outside of the galaxy but his only real concern were the powers of chaos the whole time.

In fact creating Space Marines is what allowed the Tyranids to develop the Tyranid Warriors so by creating Space Marines he indirectly made the Tyranids stronger while it's perfectly possible to fight against them without genetically engineered super soldiers (and lets pray that no Hive Fleet ever gets their hands on a Primarch ...)

Tyranid Warriors have nothing to do with Space Marines it was the 3rd ed Tyrant Guard which were supposed to have Space Marine DNA

The Galaxy may have encountered scattered individual Hive ships and fleets before, whereas the Pharos drew ALL the Tyranid Hive Fleets within sensory range. Could be that the Tyranids are typically less concentrated than the Milky Way currently has the misfortune of experiencing.

Also need to remember that it takes time for the Tyranid fleets to travel. Sure they travel fast. But not warp fast and traveling between galaxies... well takes forever. Maybe some tyranid ships were flung far out by some other species that was fighting them? Similar to the Necron drives? That was one of my favorite things about Necrons. Their Tech just being incredibly advanced. I don't know if the background has changed now though but I do know that the Tyranids avoid their planets at all costs.

Also need to remember that it takes time for the Tyranid fleets to travel. Sure they travel fast. But not warp fast and traveling between galaxies... well takes forever. Maybe some tyranid ships were flung far out by some other species that was fighting them? Similar to the Necron drives? That was one of my favorite things about Necrons. Their Tech just being incredibly advanced. I don't know if the background has changed now though but I do know that the Tyranids avoid their planets at all costs.

Necrons are like the anti-tyranid. Necron are self resurrecting and inedible. So when Tyranids attack necron they take massive losses with little bio matter absorbed and end up losing even if they win the battle because it took more bio matter than they gained. Eventually a Tyranids attack against Necrons would cause the kids to starve.

Necrons are like the anti-tyranid. Necron are self resurrecting and inedible. So when Tyranids attack necron they take massive losses with little bio matter absorbed and end up losing even if they win the battle because it took more bio matter than they gained. Eventually a Tyranids attack against Necrons would cause the kids to starve.

True but there is something else involved as well. One of the old T'au dexes and the old Necron dex points out that people researching it show that Tyranids travel longer distances to avoid encountering the Necrons.

True but there is something else involved as well. One of the old T'au dexes and the old Necron dex points out that people researching it show that Tyranids travel longer distances to avoid encountering the Necrons.

I think that is at least in part because Necron worlds have null field matricies, which have been theorized to have a deleterious effect on the hive mind.

Not sure deleterious is the right word but I think you get what I mean.

There doesn't have to be. It makes perfect sense for them to avoid them, simply because they are another predator. If they don't have to fight for the same prey, it just wouldn't make sense for the tyranids to throw away lots of resources just to take them down, if just ignoring them could achieve the same thing.

Nah, it's more or less a real connection. They just lived so long away from any hive mind connection that they evolved into a seperate thing. There are plenty nasty xenos lifeforms in the galaxy and there nobody says they've come from tyranids either. ^^

Similar to the Necron drives? That was one of my favorite things about Necrons. Their Tech just being incredibly advanced. I don't know if the background has changed now though but I do know that the Tyranids avoid their planets at all costs.

Afraid not. In the 'tomb kings in space' upgrade in 5th edition (which was overall not terrible imo, apart from this thing). The Necrons lost their inertialess drives. Now they were strictly using sub light ships until they worked out how to hijack Webway gates from the Old Ones (renaming them Dolmen Gates). Which is a real shame.

Also, the Nids have a specific 'ftl bubble' ship now, which is how they travel interstellar. Called a Narvhal, it basically acts like a gravity magnet. It still raises a bunch of logistic issues, but that's hardly unusual for 40k, and the Nids in particular.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Narvhal

That’s a shame. Necron tech used to be so ‘otherly’ and badass. Never mind. I won’t go down this hole again

Similar to the Necron drives? That was one of my favorite things about Necrons. Their Tech just being incredibly advanced. I don't know if the background has changed now though but I do know that the Tyranids avoid their planets at all costs.

Afraid not. In the 'tomb kings in space' upgrade in 5th edition (which was overall not terrible imo, apart from this thing). The Necrons lost their inertialess drives. Now they were strictly using sub light ships until they worked out how to hijack Webway gates from the Old Ones (renaming them Dolmen Gates). Which is a real shame.

Also, the Nids have a specific 'ftl bubble' ship now, which is how they travel interstellar. Called a Narvhal, it basically acts like a gravity magnet. It still raises a bunch of logistic issues, but that's hardly unusual for 40k, and the Nids in particular.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Narvhal

I don't think that the megarachnids are linked to the Nids, just an insectil species that were scary to SM. If the Interex could disarm them and contain them on a single planet, I think any link to Nids is unlikely.

That being said, if GW did anything with 20K, I wouldn't rule out precursor Nids showing up or links to the Not the SST Arachnids.

We have three things basically conflicting.

1. Vanguard organisms reached this Galaxy far ahead of any known main Tyranid fleet (Genestealers, etc.)

2. Multiple organisms seemingly native to planets in this Galaxy seem to be of Tyranid descent.

3. The destruction of the Pharos is what signalled the current Tyranid fleets to head toward our Galaxy.

I think it's highly likely based on 2 that Tyranids had entered our Galaxy at some point in the past, though it's unknown whether they were scouts, lost, acting on instinct, last survivors of a destroyed planet sent in a tiny rocketship to a new planet, or what. Completely speculative, but if the Hive Mind is in fact motivated by the instinct to reproduce and expand (as seems to be the Tyranids' basic motivation), it seems likely that when biomass is plentiful they would send out hivefleets all over to scout for new avenues of expansion. Given something found its way to our Galaxy at least once, it's a given that it fought something when it got here, and was unsuccessful since the milky way is home to more than just Tyranid bioforms. I think we'd need to know more before we could tell if it was human, another familiar species, or some unremembered xenos civilization they had conflict with.

1. and 2. aren't conflicting tho.

3. isn't really conflicting either. Nothing says that the early small Tyranid fleets who have found their way into the galaxy are the same as the ones the destruction of the Pharos has drawn to the galaxy. 

Earliest confirmed engagements with nids was after the heresy (m30ish) with hive fleet ouroboros. Vehicles that fought in those battles still carry acid burns that are consistent with tyranid attacks.

I always thought that the species contained by the Interrex to that one planet were a Tyranid strain?

from my understanding, The Mega Arachnids were a highly intelligent race that produced tech for traveling between planets, but didnt really require tech in the form of personal weapons or body armor due to their own physiology being so crazy.

They had thick natural carapace, that could survive space, and there limbs were extremely dangerous.

THe interex destroyed their ships and fleet yards, and destroyed any attempt of them to leave the planet.

until the great crusade showed up and attempt to xenocicde the preserve the interex put up.

there is always a chance more might exist.

and in my mind, the Mega arachnids reselmeed the ambull, except eh ambull was the juevenile stage of the megaarachnids.

Archived