The deed is done...

Hetor Meragon, Arch-Sorcerer of the Dreadreavers
gallery_108437_14672_327667.jpg

Hidden Content

gallery_108437_14672_1351895.jpg

gallery_108437_14672_868961.jpg

gallery_108437_14672_521647.jpg

Cthonian-born and proficient in the ways of both the warp and the blade, Hetor Meragon leads the small cabal of Dreadreaver sorcerers through the Long War. Having been a part of the Black Legate's command squad since the Triumph of Ullanor, Meragon has remained a close confidante of Dyrath Kal ever since and led parts of the warband as a chaos lord until his latent psychic powers surfaced sometime between M32 and M33. Intending to utilise and expand upon the power bestowed on him, Subcommander Meragon took parts of the Dreadreavers - then still a wayward Sons of Horus company - onto raids all throughout the Eye of Terror, learning more about the nature of his prison and obtaining various corrupted artifacts and relics. Chieftain Kal initally lauded Meragon's efforts, seeing the benefits of psychic support on the battlefield in form of witchfire and kine-shields, but his gaze hardened when he first saw his battle-brother summoning daemons for aid in a particularly fierce struggle against a fortress held by the IVth legion.

The Legate and his subordinate debated for a whole day on the bride of the Pillager, and eventually came to an agreement: Meragon was encouraged to continue his quest for knowledge and psychic sorcery, but the summoning of daemons auxiliaries was only permitted by way of Kal or the Warmaster himself giving the word.

In the Age of the Dark Imperium, the Arch-Sorcerer's thirst for arcane lore is well-known amongst the warriors of the Black Legion, but so is his loyalty to the Abaddon and the Lord of the Reavers - in over eight thousand years, the oath Hetor Meragon swore to Dyrath Kal has never been broken.

Welp - that's him done! Again, I should have done much better with the warpflame, but I'm not gonna get myself in a twist about my first attempt at such an effect. I may touch up some of the smaller details, like the gang glyphs on his shoulder, and bring them more in line with the legion symbol on the other side. Anyway, thanks for all the comments and let me know what you think of the model!

-Horrible

Edited by AHorriblePerson

Definetely! The thing is... I'm kinda scared of ruining the face by making the attempt. :sweat:

Who knows, I may end up coming back to that once my skill has improved. Thanks for the suggestion, glad you like the mini!

If I was you, I really wouldn't worry. Your painting is gorgeous dude. Really great stuff!

Really nice work there, the blending on the warp smoke and the fading on his Black Legion icon are especially good, the latter suggesting that he's seen lots of battle.

I too think that glowing eyes would look good and also that the empty space of the cloak is begging for some sort of icon, perhaps a stylised chaos star?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

No worries, I didn't scrap the army or anything. Recent events IRL just got me a bit sidetracked, and so progress has ground to almost a complete halt. I hope that I'll have more time around christmas, so that I can buy a couple of bits that I feel would go really well with the army. All that and a bunch of new chaos releases have left the thread inactive for now, but I can assure you that the Dreadreavers are here to stay. :happy.:

AHorriblePerson,

Excellent job, everything from you painting to the conversions looks fantastic!

Would you please let me know which colors you've used for the red in the eye of horus? 

With the Vigilus campaign approaching and a handful of models I wont be using for my other Legions/Warbands (not to mention the super nice looking new models) I've decided to start on some Black Legion!

AHorriblePerson,

Excellent job, everything from you painting to the conversions looks fantastic!

Would you please let me know which colors you've used for the red in the eye of horus? 

With the Vigilus campaign approaching and a handful of models I wont be using for my other Legions/Warbands (not to mention the super nice looking new models) I've decided to start on some Black Legion!

Thanks, I'm really appreciating all the feedback. I'm also very excited to see your take on the Warmaster's legion! It's always great to see more of the B&C don the arch-traitor's black. The Eye of Horus on Meragon's belt buckle is simply painted in Mephiston Red, which was then shaded with Agrax Earthshade and lightened up again. I also painted some Evil Sunz Scarlet into the centre of the Eye and glazed all over it with Bloodletter to make the red a bit stronger, though I feel like that last part could be skipped.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys.

On the subject of potential iconography on the cloak, I don't think I'll go down that route. My freehanding isn't good enough to paint any design ideas I have to a satisfactory degree, and I don't feel like applying another transfer. That reminds me of your suggestion to do the same thing on my sorcerer Meragon though... I need to get back to him aswell.

Next up are fifteen Chosen / Chaos Space Marines; I'm gonna have have to fiddle around with Green Stuff again to make them a little more chaos-y. I should have the time to do so this weekend and be able to provide an update in the coming days, but I'm not famous for my working discipline when it comes to my models...

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys.

On the subject of potential iconography on the cloak, I don't think I'll go down that route. My freehanding isn't good enough to paint any design ideas I have to a satisfactory degree, and I don't feel like applying another transfer. That reminds me of your suggestion to do the same thing on my sorcerer Meragon though... I need to get back to him aswell.

Next up are fifteen Chosen / Chaos Space Marines; I'm gonna have have to fiddle around with Green Stuff again to make them a little more chaos-y. I should have the time to do so this weekend and be able to provide an update in the coming days, but I'm not famous for my working discipline when it comes to my models...

I'll promise not to ask again, don't want to become the cloak motif guy. I'm the same myself in that my freehand is insufficient and I don't fancy the decals, so my cloaks just go bare.

Looking forward to seeing the Chosen, will they also be in the more traditional, Cthonian style?

Definetely, but it's gonna be less apparent than with the Black Legate for the most part. The Dreadreavers still largely consist of original Sons of Horus legionnaires and space marines created from their geneseed, but they recruit from everywhere, really. That means that many might just have gang-runes or a topknot, while some are still using legion-specific sub-patterns of armor.

Also, if you feel like any part of a miniature could use some love, ask away! I appreciate all suggestions, even if I don't end up following up on them.

Hello there!

As promised, here's a small update on the chosen.
I ended up doing barely anything to the marines, as the green stuff  trim I sculpted on never quite looked right. I honestly don't mind, since I ended up deciding to deck them out in a different manner. More on that later, since I want to show you the torsos first:

Here they are. You might recognise one or two of the guys from earlier pictures - I ditched a lot of marines halfway through building them. A lot of that had to do with the dated CSM legs - while these Mk5 and Mk2 legs may not be significantly bigger, they do add a heresy-era feel to the marines in my opinion, and that's what's most important in the end.
Concerning the customisation, I went ahead and ordered some really nice wolf pelt bits from KFStudio. I'm fairly certain that Grieux over on the HH subforum uses these aswell, and they look absolutely gorgeous on his Space Wolves. They also sell a few heads and helmets for wolf priests, as well as bits that might be of interest to some of you Night Lords players. Here is a link to their eBay page.

The plan with these pelts is to remove some of the more norse decoration and perhaps accomodate a skull or two on each miniature. As the cthonian influences crept in, the 16th legion became notable for taking the skulls of worthy enemies as wearable trophies, sometimes going as far as coating them in gold.

I've also grabbed two Blackstone Fortress marines, both for conversion purposes and to see how well - or bad - they blend in with the rest of the dudes. Vrosh Tattersoul is also joining the Dreadreavers, as he will become a khornate chaos lord with a jump pack, who I want to call Rurik Twice-Slain.

Hopefully I'll have an update on the grunts soon - according to eBay, the wolf pelts are arriving on the 14th at best, and on the 1st of March at worst. Until then;

"Lupercal memoriam! Death to the False Emperor!"

-Horrible

Thanks! Having had a few hours of sleep kinda reveals the poor quality of those pics to me... I might take a few better ones sometime this week. There isn't much to do aside from waiting until my bits arrive...