Cadian heavy weapon squad box

Bmseifer

Just a quick question. In the box with the heavy weapons squads you can build 6 weapons (3 with tripods and 3 with bipods) but you only get gunners for 3 bases. I was thinking to save some money I could use 1 gunner and a regular infantry guardsmen on the base to be able to get 6 teams out of one box. Anyone done the same and have pictures on how it looks? Or am I to cheap?

Well I have 4 boxes to build atm. Would be great to get 24 teams instead of 12. And knowing GW they will most probably nerf the ones I build so it will feel good to have alternatives :)

I don't glue the tripod gun in and line up the gunner so the gun can be dry fitted in, then I have all the options

What do you do with the shield that's attached to the guns? keep it dry fitted to or just leave it out?

I don't glue the tripod gun in and line up the gunner so the gun can be dry fitted in, then I have all the options

What do you do with the shield that's attached to the guns? keep it dry fitted to or just leave it out?

I've done the exact same thing, and I just attach the shield to whatever and run some with shields and some without. I barely even notice when they're there or not anymore. You could leave them all off or try to get more from bits sellers if you wanted to be a little more uniform, or I'm sure there's a way to either pin or magnetize it to keep it moveable.

Yeah, I had standing 'loaders' and a scavenged extra tripods. Not only to save money, but also to make the squads a bit more individual. Like @Kinstryfe, I didn't miss the shields, at least not on the lascannon, because it looked like this one.

99060105157_SteelLegionLascannonNEW01.jp

Check out Anvil Industry for heavy weapon options - loads of good ones - but they sell 3 tripods for

Actually you can get more out of the box, if you use the sand bag in the kit for one of the tripod mounted guns, On top of which I think that the cities of death balcony railings might work ok for a standing figure to use as a rest (haven't tried this one but seem to remember seeing a pic of it once upon a time)

So to sum up: missile launchers shoulder mounted, auto cannon on the sandbags, las cannon on the tripod, mortar on the bipod and heavy bolter on the railing from cod, all you need is some of the pintle mount gun arms from tanks and some extra infantry bodies to make it work

fifteen out of fifteen heavy weapons from a kit meant to make three:whistling:

Lots of good advice here. But I'm sure I won't be needing 60 heavy weapon teams :) I think doubling up on them, thus making 24, will suffice. We can still only have 3 Heavy weapons squads and then sprinkle them in infantry, veteran and command squads

Now I can tell you are new to the guard.

Lots of good advice here. But I'm sure I won't be needing 60 heavy weapon teams :) I think doubling up on them, thus making 24, will suffice. We can still only have 3 Heavy weapons squads and then sprinkle them in infantry, veteran and command squads

Well.. I am :)

But if we max out on number of heavy weapons squads as per the 'rule of three' at 2k pts, then I would need to run 15 infantry squads to use all of my heavy weapon teams. Atm I'm planning on using 6-8 squads which would still leave me room for choice of weapons

Well technically it isn't even for matched play rules, It's for tournament events. But it is a rule that our group has adopted, and I kind of like it. The one thing I wish was excluded are our company commanders

Ok, so have built the first 12 teams

2zyzqnJ.jpg

Will have to order more bases and then I will make another 3 mortars, 3 lascannons, 3 autocannons and 3 heavy bolters. And then I will also have to model a second guardsman to the bases

Looks good!

I also used the snap fit guardsmen for the loader.

Leaving them on their own base works great for a wound counter (take them off to represent the wound) but also leaves you extra bodies to fill squads out if you aren’t taking all your HWT’s.

The kneeling legs are great on basic trooper squads. I mix in standing “loaders” and kneeling ones on my weapon teams so they all don’t look the same.

Additionally, the backpacks you get are good for mechanized squads or veteran squads.

Just a quick question. In the box with the heavy weapons squads you can build 6 weapons (3 with tripods and 3 with bipods) but you only get gunners for 3 bases. I was thinking to save some money I could use 1 gunner and a regular infantry guardsmen on the base to be able to get 6 teams out of one box. Anyone done the same and have pictures on how it looks? Or am I to cheap?

Cheap, economical whatever... I saw an example way back where someone had used spare parts to make a loader without legs but built up sandbags/debris around them to make it look as though they were in a dugout position.

Thinking about it, if you want to be lazy you don't even need a second guardsman.

The heavy weapons team is "one" model with double the stats. 2 wounds, 2 attacks, a heavy weapon and a lasgun.

I'm going to build mine with one person each, then later on I can always stick another on.

I always thought it was weird that you can "kill" one with one wound, but it doesn't matter as they are combined into one so they both live.

Well technically it isn't even for matched play rules, It's for tournament events. But it is a rule that our group has adopted, and I kind of like it. The one thing I wish was excluded are our company commanders

At least I have a reason to take platoon commanders now.

Archived