Nurgle plague drones

Anyone got any hints on how to use these effectively?

I got three in the nurgle daemons starter set and when I used them the other night 2 got gunned down on the way to the enemy lines. The third swallowed a primaris marine before dieing.

Are they a unit that does well when you take enough of them?

As one of the most mobile units in a nurgle army how do you use them?

Time them to arrive with the stuff deep striking from Denizens of the Warp?

I've been asking myself the same question. Expanding my Death Guard collection into all things Nurgly. With three of the start collecting boxes. The easy answer is to screen your Nurgly DPs. But I'd also love to hear experienced opinions of other uses.

In larger games I might put them in an outrider detachment with my death guards drones and daemon prince

But for the moment I'm specifically thinking how to fit them into a nurgle Daemon army. I'm thinking maybe I need to bulk the squad out some because they have a lot of attacks and I think they would hurt if enough make it through to the enemy

I'm not really sure they're efficiently buffable to killy. At least from what I can see. The investment could be used for a better return. But 12 wounds on T5 models with a 10" move and instrument/banner for 127 points. In theory sounds amazing for screening, objective grabbing, charging backfield shooty units to keep them from hammering your actually killy units, etc. Sadly I lack the practical experience. Perhaps someone else can enlighten us both.

I played a 7 Drone unit a few times and they are realy nice. They soak up a lot of fire since they are the nr 1 priority most of the time (opponent knows he has more time to deal with the slower stuff). Ust this to your advantage and give them the 4++ via Stratagem.

Usually I hide my Prince behind that unit. This is a lot of distraction and will save the Plaguebearers for a turn or two until they reach the enemys line.

They are better now that the FAQ gave plague drones plague bearer keyword. You are going to want to turn 2 plaguebomb their plague-hole with a PB blob, herald, and scrivener. Have them plus the plague drones, along with some bloat drones with flying daemon princes crash into their lines all at once and have overlapping auras at all times. Pop the stratagems and banners for goody damage.

Rather then make a whole new post. I have a question to add to the topic. What's your opinion on Banners for min 3 Plague Drone units? With a 1/6 chance of hitting the 1 and only up to two chances per unit to do it. The cost for three banners across three units, enough to generate 6 rolls, is 11 points more then just paying for the model you would return.

Rather then make a whole new post. I have a question to add to the topic. What's your opinion on Banners for min 3 Plague Drone units? With a 1/6 chance of hitting the 1 and only up to two chances per unit to do it. The cost for three banners across three units, enough to generate 6 rolls, is 11 points more then just paying for the model you would return.

The banners are only good on max size units really. Remember you can command point reroll to try for another shot at the 1. It is insanely easy to build a 18 command point army with chaos.

I am planning on running a squad of 9 with an icon and an instrument. Buff them with -1 to hit and a Scrivener and Epidemius and possibly virulent blessing. Then I hit them with Warp Surge once or twice so they have a 4++. I am thinking that beyond the shooting attacks and plagueswords, 36 drone pokes with 3+ to hit and rerolling 1s and extra hits on 6s followed by wounding at str 4 with +1 to wound and reroll to wound followed by 5s are 3-damage and 6s are 5-damage will surprise a lot of people. I wouldn't be surprised if I could take down a Knight in one turn with 9 drones, level II epidemius tally, virulent blessing, and scrivener nearby.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived