Prot's ITC Tournament Re-cap

Prot

I didn't want to go back to that super muddy thread of mine.

I ended up going with the Mortarion list, hoping to bring a fun, better painted army to the tournament, as competitive as it would be.

I have some mixed feelings, but all in all it was fun, I learned a lot, and the event was very well run.

I lost the debate on using Warp Time, while keeping my Daemon Prince "Death Guard". Long story, I didn't want to push it, I know this was a huge hit to my army but I was fine with that considering my state of mind on entering the tournie. (Let's be honest I was playtesting and getting hosed with Mortarion every game for weeks on end.)

So my list ended up looking like this:

Mortarion

Plaguecaster

5 Plaguemarines in a Rhino

1 Toilet Cannon dude

1 Pooflinger dude

10 Poxwalkers

10 Cultists

2 Plagueburst Crawlers

2 Poxbringers

3 x 3 Nurglings.

I will say this much I did a report with pictures on my blog. I go through the games quickly, and highlight them with some various pictures, but I skip a lot to keep it  brief. If you want to see the game highlights then here's the     LINK

If you want to spoil the games, and don't care about details/pics, then click on the spoiler for win/losses/results:

Day 1:
Game 1: Death Guard Loss Vs. Nurgle Tree/Alpha/Death Guard Oblits
Game 2: Death Guard victory vs. World Eaters
Game 3: Death Guard victory vs. Aeldari

Day 2: Coming soon...

Thanks for everyone chiming in here, and I appreciated bouncing some stuff off of you guys. :tu:

Surprised you took it vs eldar honestly

Pfff... you and me both. It was brutal. Man he was mad at one point. I just smile and nod. I told him I'm married and used to being yelled at. lol (He apologized profusely  he was a cool guy, just lost it for a sec. As we can all do)

Nice going Prot, hope it was an enjoyable event too.

Well it was and it wasn't (long story). I enjoyed such a bare knuckle fight, but I didn't go to win so I had a very different approach I guess. 

Here is Part 2 for anyone interested: (don't read if you haven't read Part 1 above or care about order of events)

4/5 win! Amazing!

To awnser the question of how you do so well with them, its probably because you're good.

That and low expectation seems necessary, im told death guard win no less than other armies, but they do it in a grindy, slow way.

I cant wait to start practicing with my own 2000 point army, im waiting on the last model!

I am bit confused when you say he cancels nurgles rot and blight bombardment. Did you use blight bombardment for an overwatch? Because otherwise they happen in the shooting phase

Nurgle's Rot can actually be used in anyone's shooting phase. I tried using it in his.

Thanks very much guys. I felt I owed it to you to do up a proper recap there since I bounced so many ideas back and forth and shared the time leading up to the tournament with you.

Sorry if some of it is difficult to read, but after two days of gaming sometimes the last thing you feel like doing is writing it all up. :)

I think my favorite part was going for drinks after day one and explaining to some people how I lost a futuristic Sci-fi wargame to a deep striking tree from outer space. (Got a few laughs.)

Very good painting. After the tourney, what unit would you like to shave/add next?

Thank you.

That's a really good question. But leading up to this tournament I never had 'winning' in mind. A few of the threads where I did some of my playtesting eventually lead to a conclusion that I'd rather go with models I consider 'fun' and cool looking over functionality.

So when you ask what I would change, I'd still keep Mortarion even though I think he's a huge gamble.

I would take out some of the Characters in the Rhino. When they worked it was great, but the Blight Grenade dude is super fun, but really hard to pull off against ITC opponents where everyone is flying across the board, and the only thing slow enough to catch is quite often just 'chaff'.

At 1750 I think I went too far with elite Characters. I'd try hard to get one Foetid Bloat Drone in. (My more competitive list pulls Mortarion, and puts 3 Bloat drones in.)

Thanks for reading the reports!

Awesome write-ups Prot and congrats on the solid performance. 

I will say I'm absolutely shocked at how well Mortarion did at that point level. Interested to see what your next adventure will be.

The Heretic Astartes codex Daemon Prince entry DOES replace the Index Daemon Prince entry. Though if the wargear options were different, you could still select index wargear if you wanted. But I think the options are the same.

You could take a Nurgle Faction detachment with a Nurgle Daemon Prince with Warp Time (probably Alpha Legion).  You could also just bring an allied CSM detachment with a warp time jump pack sorcrer of Nurgle, or just a CSM detachment and then pay 1 CP to replace any power (including Smite) on a Death Guard psyker with Warp Time.

Thanks for the report Prot. Was a great read, I'm dipping a toe into the blighted waters of the Death Guard, and getting real world battle reports helps a lot.

The Heretic Astartes codex Daemon Prince entry DOES replace the Index Daemon Prince entry. Though if the wargear options were different, you could still select index wargear if you wanted. But I think the options are the same.

You could take a Nurgle Faction detachment with a Nurgle Daemon Prince with Warp Time (probably Alpha Legion).  You could also just bring an allied CSM detachment with a warp time jump pack sorcrer of Nurgle, or just a CSM detachment and then pay 1 CP to replace any power (including Smite) on a Death Guard psyker with Warp Time.

Nothing is overriding the option to take a Daemon Prince from the Index Death Guard list though. Unless Daemon Princes lose their access to warptime in the codex version, you can still take a Death Guard keyworded Daemon Prince with warptime

I do think it is something that is techincally legal. I just couldn't be bothered to argue it any further.

About the flyer, I may have misunderstood. I just could swear he said "2D3 mortal wounds", auto hitting. Regardless I do recall only rolling DR against it. So that could have been my fault. I wasn't terribly familiar with the Ynnarri stuff so I was trusting my opponents.

I did find my list very complex. Some people are asking for Chess clocks. I've changed my personal opinions on this, but for the sake of brevity I will say the 'losing' side certainly seems to feel they 'need one more turn to win'. I don't think I would agree with that in my games, but I know one of my opponents was very sure of needing one more turn. (I strongly disagree because he had bottom of the turn and still killed next to nothing, and Mort was in mid tier).

The funny thing is we had a huge cc combat in T1. This slows stuff down when you enter that kind of engagement with 3 aura's and 4-5 characters per side.

Another thing I've noticed is if a person says at the end of the game "I needed more time" but on MY TURN they are asking me: Do Nurglings really hit on 4's? Why are you re-rolling wounds? How is that Plagueburst crawler have S8 flamers? Why is it extra damage?

All of those questions were asked of me in my turn (and more) within the same game. This creates a very interesting dynamic that I'm not a fan of if you put a chess clock in front of me. I will say that at this point, and after that experience even as well as I did, I'm not sure I'm a fan of where 'competitive' 40K is going.

Just going to tag onto this one, currently 2-1 with the last two games tomorrow with my mortarion and magnus. Lost the third to a buddy whos also the captain of the Canadian etc team.

Spoiler lists are pretty fun, 27 disc tzangors not so much lol

Just going to tag onto this one, currently 2-1 with the last two games tomorrow with my mortarion and magnus. Lost the third to a buddy whos also the captain of the Canadian etc team.

Spoiler lists are pretty fun, 27 disc tzangors not so much lol

Nice!

Funny thing is the last guy I played (the guy who travels to ITC GT's with Dark Eldar) told me he has a pretty easy time of his buddy's Magnus/Mortarion army whereas mine just seemed to really throw him off.

Nice reports and glad of how well your list did! The playtesting seriously paid off.

Your list is seriously deceptive and doubling down on the plan of scoring above all seemed to work.

I'm baffled at how you did any sort of damage output but I'm guessing it's all about what Mort can achieve in conjunction with the Prince, Crawler Spewers, Toilet gun and occasional Grenade Stratagem?

Archived