Astral aim ways to improve

Gnomeo

So astral aim is a good power however I think very niche atm. Ven dread las and missle I the corner. And maybe some other very situational situations.

What if it instead gave +1 to hit for the shooting phase. This is still fluffy as you are psychicly guiding the shoots. It would help gk against all the -1 which becomes impossible when stuff like psycannons also add -1 for moving. It would also make are stratergems better.

What are peoples thoughts?

Personally I think that we should access a 2nd Sanctic table with full 6 alternative powers like in 5th edition (and as such available to Libbies or HQs in general only) ;) Something as:

1) MIGHT OF TITAN (cast on 6+, a GK unit within 12" can reroll 1s to wound in CQC OR cast on 7+, a GK unit within 12" gains +1 to hit +1 S +1 A for the whole round)

2) WARP QUAKE (cast on 8+, D3 mortals to enemies arriving from Tac Reserves within 18")

3) HOLOCAUST (cast on 8+, roll for each model in the closest unit within 12" and deal 1 mortal for every 6+, rerolling misses if the casting result was 12+)

4) QUICKSILVER (cast on 5+, a GK unit within 12" always strikes first in CQC for the remainder of the round)

5) THE SHROUDING (cast on 6+, -1 to hit each GK unit within 6")

6) DARK EXCOMMUNICATION (cast on 6+, a DAEMON unit within 12" must reroll successful saves)

Then the other 6 current powers can quietly stay like they are now ;)

Personally I think that we should access a 2nd Sanctic table with full 6 alternative powers like in 5th edition (and as such available to Libbies or HQs in general only) :wink: Something as:

1) MIGHT OF TITAN (cast on 6+, a GK unit within 12" can reroll 1s to wound in CQC)

2) WARP QUAKE (cast on 8+, D3 mortals to enemies arriving from Tac Reserves within 18")

3) HOLOCAUST (cast on 8+, roll for each model in the closest unit within 12" and deal 1 mortal for every 6+, rerolling misses if the casting result was 12+)

4) QUICKSILVER (cast on 5+, a GK unit within 12" always strikes first in CQC for the remainder of the round)

5) THE SHROUDING (cast on 6+, -1 to hit each GK unit within 6")

6) DARK EXCOMMUNICATION (cast on 6+, a DAEMON unit within 12" must reroll successful saves)

Then the other 6 current powers can quietly stay like they are now :wink:

I agree. 

Moreover purifier's power should have 6" and should target every units in this range. 

A new psychic table would be the most efficient fix if some of the powers suited some of the weakest units better. Throw in an extra relic and a couple of stratagems and you could have a pretty decent patch up.

Such as;

RELIC BANNER. Models within 6" gain plus +1 to their armour save against shooting attacks, +2 if the model did not move in their previous movement phase. (DS counts as movement)

Some turn 1 protection. Especially good for terminators/ paladins.

Stratagem. MENTAL HIJACK 1cp. At the end of the opponent's psychic phase you can attempt to cast one psychic power with a -1 to cast.

PSI WEAPON OVERCHARGE. Warp charge 6. For every model in the target unit each Psycanon, psilencer and incinerator can make one shot.

Best for purgation squads. Less useful for DK. A 10 man squad with 4 Psycanon will do 6.67 wounds on a rhino on average.

WARP CHARGE. Warp charge 4. Target unit adds D6 to their charge distance but cannot shoot in the next shooting phase.

Reliable but you have to exchange your shooting for a near 74% to make a 9" charge.

DIPLACEMENT. Warp charge 6. Target unit can move as if it was the movement phase.

I think Astral Aim is great the way it is! It's one of our most powerful spells. My local meta absolutely HATES the double twin autocannon ven dread who hides behind a castle and never misses.

• 4 weeks later...

Astral Aim is very powerful. Imagine how powerful it would be on a good shootie army. We just need some better choices to use it on. Make psycannons/psilencers good and people would then use it all the time on purgation squads.

As for additional psychic powers, I've been thinking about something that is both thematic and powerful. I've only got four so far, but the idea is that each power is designed to counter a specific chaotic gods theme. As I've said before, GK shouldn't counter just demons, they should have abilities that are good against demons, but are usable against most armies.

• Enfeeble: Until the beginning of your next turn, units affected by this power subtract 1 from each models total total attacks, to a minimum of 1.
  • Fragility: Until the beginning of your next turn, units affected by this power cannot make rolls that negate wounds other than Armour or Invulnerable Saves. (eg, Disgusting Resilient)
  • Vulnerability: Until the beginning of your next turn, units affected by this power must subtract 1 from all save rolls.
  • Lethargy: Until the beginning of your next turn, units affected by this power always go last during the fight phase, even if they have a rule that means they go first.

Astral Aim is boss as is, alt uses are purgation squads teleported into good cover to shoot with impunity, but dread is the go-to. I would say the big question is Venerable dread or regular?

But purgation squads suck. BS 4+ with either of two super mediocre weapons? That's a waste of points and a psychic power.

Archived