Drilling non circular barrels

Hey everyone!

I just got an starting set for the Ad mech and I was presented with the problem of how to drill the barrel of the Volkite Blaster of the Dominus. I already have a couple of jewelry drill for the guns of space marines but never had to deal with barrels of this type. Has anyone done it ? or any ideas on how to do it clean? Only way i see is drilling 3 or so holes with a small drill, but It will be messy at best and Im not sure of a favorable result.

Regards

that way may work...i have not seen anyone drill it, though if anyone was to it would be Subtle Discord..he has a blog over in the AdMech section called "A Mechanicus Darkly..." go check it to see,but honestly i think painting it black and highlighting around it might be your best bet with this one :sweat:

Mithril

The only method I can devise is to drill two holes for the top and bottom and try to connect the two with a fresh razor blade to make careful cuts and then carefully removal of the center bit. I have pondered on this and simply can't think of another method, besides just drilling 3 holes and being done with it. :tongue.:

Sometimes Thumbtacks or needles can be useful. If you press them carefully into the centre you can then use this as a guide for your drill, or just use the thumbtack to round it out, I've done this on AC barrels.

You could also drill out a bigger hole than you need, fill it with a little putty, push a peice of styrene into it to make the shape you want, and then file the end smooth again when the putty is cured.

This works quite well for things like Shuriken weapons too, and the styrene insert means you get a consistently-shaped opening every time. :)

You could also drill out a bigger hole than you need, fill it with a little putty, push a peice of styrene into it to make the shape you want, and then file the end smooth again when the putty is cured.

This works quite well for things like Shuriken weapons too, and the styrene insert means you get a consistently-shaped opening every time. :smile.:

I like and approve of this idea. It's a bit fiddly and not something I'd enjoy doing often, but like Gilbear says, it can give you consistent results since you can use a shape made from styrene; once the putty is in place it'll just take one simple press to get the desired hole. Good call.

This works quite well for things like Shuriken weapons too, and the styrene insert means you get a consistently-shaped opening every time. :smile.:

Doing that you will have to rebuild the entire front part, there is little room to maneuver.

<snip>

Doing that you will have to rebuild the entire front part, there is little room to maneuver.
Not really...?

As with everything, it depends on if you're neat and careful in the first place.

Yes, okay, you have to let the putty cure, but there's not much work or time beyond that. There's also no scuplting required or anything. Just drill, fill, press, and file when cured.

Archived