Grand Tournament for Knights, etc.?

Kelborn

Hey there,

if I remember correctly, there was a initiative called the Arena or something similar.

It was about painting minis and let them fight in a theoretical setting against each other until we got a champion.

My question is, what would you think about a good ol' Tournament based on the Imperial Knights and comparable walkers?

With the new codex hitting stores in the next couple of days (and seeing the hype in the respective N&R thread), it could be something worth it.

The following is just a simple idea of a concept:

Participants: Knights and comparable massive units of other factions like Orks or Eldar or maybe even Tyranids.

First challenge: build and paint a mini of your House / faction (let's say 1-2 months?) [i'm not a player or builder so I got no real clue of how long this might take.]

Second challenge: Participate in the Grand Imperial Tournament; divided in two categories: melee & range

The winners of each category fight against each other to crown the Grand Champion of ... (Warhammer? Dark Imperium?)

As a task aside of the main event, how about a fluff writing challenge? Some could write down the backstory of their participants. Some might get even inspired to write something about the event. Or maybe something entirely different, yet fitting the Knight theme, etc.

Didn't knew where or who to ask this in particular.

It could also be a good chance for certain groups / projects to present themselves a bit. Thinking about stuff like the brothers and sisters of the Liber or the Special Projects.

Eager to hear your thoughts. Again, this is just a basic idea I had in the morning.

Cheers,

Kelborn

Ah, you're talking about the Arena of Death, but adjusted for Imperial Knights. That is eminently feasible.

However, Arena of Death events take considerable work, not just on the front end, but also in the execution where battles are fought and battle reports are written.

If a group of members wants to get together and run an Imperial Knight level Arena of Death challenge, that's no problem.

I could see it going one of three ways:

• Imperial Knights only - simple and most balanced, but excluding some segment of the site's membership
  • Imperial Knights and Renegade Knights - almost as simple and almost as balanced, but still excluding some segment of the site's membership
  • Any Imperial Knight equivalent unit from the various factions - most complex and least balanced (unless you limit each faction's options), most inclusive, requires some rules development and evaluation to impose some range of balance
Would you consider using adapted Imperial Knight: Renegade rules? The existing rules already cover Imperial Knights, Renegade Knights, and T'au (and maybe Eldar Wraithknights, too, though I'd have to consult back issues of White Dwarf to confirm that). That would leave you to find suitable options for the missing races (Orks and Tyranids).

My suggestion is to start a project in the Homegrown Rules forum to determine the factions/units and rules. I think that Imperial Knights: Renegade provides a solid foundation, but that's entirely up to you. Once you've got that knocked out, you can recruit members to assist in running the challenge. These members will have to conduct battles within the framework of whatever rules you decide upon, and write whatever type of battle reports you're looking for. You might go for simple summary battle reports, more complex play-by-play battle reports, or very complex narrative battle reports. You might assume some larger narrative within which the battles take place (this is more difficult when you include more factions).

Once you've figured out exactly which factions can participate and what their options are, give everyone a month or so to assemble and paint their model and write up whatever you want them to write up.

As an alternative to the Homegrown Rules forum, we can open the Arena of Death forum (within Special Projects) up, or maybe create a sub-forum to that forum for this.

Thank you, Brother Tyler.

Quite a good / impressive guideline of how to proceed.

First of all, I'll have a look if someone is willing / interested.

Maybe someone's already reading this might be tempted to give this a try. :)

Archived