Dallas' tournament blog

Dallas Drake

Hi all,

Here is my 2000 points tournament army. I have painted my back out to get this list ready and plan on blogging my experiences here.

Here is the 2000 point army list.

ARMY FACTIONS: CHAOS DAEMONS, DEATH GUARD, NURGLE
TOTAL COMMAND POINTS: 10
TOTAL ARMY POINTS: 1998

Battalion Detachment: Chaos Daemons
Points 496 CP: 5
HQ1: Epidemius
HQ2: Poxbringer
TROOP1: 3 x Nurglings
TROOP2: 3 x Nurglings
TROOP3: 29 x Plaguebearers (Plagueridden, Icon)

Outrider Detachment: Death Guard
Points 654 CP: 1
HQ1: Daemon Prince with wings (Warlord: Revoltingly Resilient, Superating Plate, Malefic talons)
FAST1: Bloat Drone (Plaguespitter x 2, Plague probe)
FAST2: Bloat Drone (Plaguespitter x 2, Plague probe)
FAST3: Bloat Drone (Plaguespitter x 2, Plague probe)

Spearhead Detachment: Nurgle
Points 850 CP: 1
HQ1: Daemon Prince with wings (Malefic talons)
Heavy1: Plagueburst Crawler (Plaguespitter x 2, Plagueburst mortar, Heavy slugger)
Heavy2: Plagueburst Crawler (Plaguespitter x 2, Plagueburst mortar, Heavy slugger)
Heavy3: 3 x Obliterators
Heavy4: 3 x Obliterators

lEmsCjz.jpg

2UZzHwa.jpg

6OZ1C32.jpg

I will update when I play in two weeks, until then enjoy the photos and advice/feedback is welcome!

The look good mate and some cool conversions.

I would check with your tournament organizer about your spear head detachment. Didn't the FAQ change (recommend for organised events) things that each detachment must have a army key word (eg. Death guard) not just 'Chaos'?

You have gone to a lot of effort and it would suck if you turned up and then they said something. 

The look good mate and some cool conversions.

I would check with your tournament organizer about your spear head detachment. Didn't the FAQ change (recommend for organised events) things that each detachment must have a army key word (eg. Death guard) not just 'Chaos'?

You have gone to a lot of effort and it would suck if you turned up and then they said something.

They also share the faction “heretic astartes”.

Yeah, they also have the keywords Heretic Astartes, Nurgle, and Chaos so I don't see why my spearhead would cause any issues.  I have a Daemons battalion detachment and a Death Guard outrider detachment so that gets me all the strats and benefits there. Thanks for the heads up though, list checking is soon so I will get an offical TO response either way. :biggrin.:

Yeah, they also have the keywords Heretic Astartes, Nurgle, and Chaos so I don't see why my spearhead would cause any issues.  I have a Daemons battalion detachment and a Death Guard outrider detachment so that gets me all the strats and benefits there. Thanks for the heads up though, list checking is soon so I will get an offical TO response either way. :biggrin.:

It's a legal battleforged detachment, but since the Obliterators aren't from the Deathguard codex you're going to lose the Deathguard faction rules on the Crawlers and Prince as well as the faction rules for the Obliterators.  Which loses you.....  Nothing all that important.  

Honestly that's not too bad a trade since it you can choose a Daemon Prince from the Heretic Astartes book to pick up Warp Time if you want.

You could even make the Obliterators Slaneesh marked Alpha legion to use Endless Cacophony and Forward Operators if you wanted, as they share the Heretic Astartes Keyword.

It depends on how he plans to use them imo. If he wants to aggresively push them forward then the plague spitter are fine. If he plans to let them sit back and just shoot then I agree the entropy cannons would be a better choice.

I plan on using the PBCs aggressively, blocking LOS, blocking charges, flaming & tying up units that struggle to hurt T8 3+/5++/DR. Plus Epidemius & the Poxbringer buff them as Daemons and the re-roll 1s to hit, extra move, +1S/+2S, & +1T benefit the mobile Plaguespitter build much more.

Its not from the chaos space marines codex as such, as the rules don't restrict you to 1 codex per detachment.  Its not a deathwatch battalion, but a nurgle one, comprised mostly of units from the Chaos Space Marines codex with the mark of nurgle, plus the plague crawlers from the deathwatch codex.  It doesn't benefit from any legion based special rules, but my understanding is that plague crawlers don't really benefit from those rules anyway.

Doing so allows the OP to take a chaos space marines demon prince, presumably with the warp time psychic power and, as you noted, obliterators.

Yea, you're never going to take entropy cannons if you're bringing epidemius.

What power does the last prince have?

Apologies for the late reply, been busy at work. The CSM Nurgle DP will likely have Warptime. Not sure what is best just yet tbh.

awesome!

can we see a closer pic of the demon princes and oblits?

wait, can we take oblits in a nurge detachment? is that from CSM codex? 

I will take loads more pics at the tournament in 2 weeks, check back for updates (also I need to highlight the Oblits too!).

Its not from the chaos space marines codex as such, as the rules don't restrict you to 1 codex per detachment.  Its not a deathwatch battalion, but a nurgle one, comprised mostly of units from the Chaos Space Marines codex with the mark of nurgle, plus the plague crawlers from the deathwatch codex.  It doesn't benefit from any legion based special rules, but my understanding is that plague crawlers don't really benefit from those rules anyway.

Doing so allows the OP to take a chaos space marines demon prince, presumably with the warp time psychic power and, as you noted, obliterators.

Exactly. I have a Death Guard deteachment so I get DG strats etc. The 3rd detachment is just 'Nurgle', 'Heretic Astartes', or 'Chaos' so I can put anything with one of those keywords in there. It's why soup lists are so powerful.

• 2 weeks later...

Played 3 games today.

Game 1 against Cadian IG was a 10/4 loss. Similar IG things we're all used to seeing (overlapping fields of fire/pask/plasma tanks).

Game 2 against Dark Angels was a 16/10 win.

Game 3 was Guilaman Storm Raven/Knight list. Lost 9/8 and would have drawn 9/9 if my two injured Bloat Drones could have killed 4 scouts, I rolled 6 shots (on 4D6), wounded 2 and then did no wounds in melee with 4 attacks - total whiff.

On the whole the army is playing well. Epidemius has done jack all though. I've also got very little out of the Plagueburst Crawlers, they are just not pulling their weight. Drones have been superb, DPs pull their weight (but die lots).

I'm honestly moving towards 2 lascannon/scourge Helbrutes and a dual butcher cannon array Leviathan into the list for the next tournament. Plaguebearers have been good but I'm not finding I need a screen at all (then again I've not faced assaulty armies yet like Harlequins/Deldar/Nids.

When I set up against this my aim was to not get tabled. :huh.:

AMreK17.jpg

Your results are interesting. I am not going to argue the plagueburst crawler, but it is an extremely tactical unit that you can be extremely aggressive with and surprise your opponent with.

I love the basic Nurgle detachment as you can tell by my blog coverage of my ITC event but beyond that I have no advice on Nurgle. The Nurglings give me everything I want.

I am interested in your Helbrute idea. Let us know your findings as I’ve never really gone that direction with them.

Thanks Prot. I am definietly toying with 2 Helbrutes and a Leviathan so I'll report back on how that does.

Today I played 2 more games (one against Blood Angels and one against Deathwatch), I dunno... something dawned on me (slowly as I am not exactly the most competitive player) and it's where I'm taking my Death Guard builds from now on... mortal wounds are godly. How I've been underestimating these until now I don't know. I've always kinda ignored Smite or just used it when I was stuck or out of range of another power but today I started using it on both my DPs and I was able to get a super smite off (yes I know it's very unlikely but even 3 MW from regular smite is good) and then use Nurgles Rot with my DP in the shooting phase (Bloat Drones and DP were being gang banged by Dante & his Blood Angel mates), when the dust settled from the psychic phase and resulting melee there were dead characters everywhere. My DP was still standing with 2 wounds thanks to Superating Plate & his 4++ DR (WL trait).

Honestly, throughout the whole tournament my DG have been pretty 'meh'. I've won and lost games by narrow margins and against IG with the Cadia relic or (D)Eldar I get beat quite hard usually. But I've realised that when I can start putting lots of MW on stuff my army just seems to do so much better - it really makes up for the lack of punch I feel DG have right now.

I'm going back to the drawing board and I'm going to plan something around getting as many MW generators into the army as possible. I'll probably find a way to get Plague Marines in there too, if only as cheap bodies for the ever deadly Foul Blightspawn.

The PBCs redeemed themselves somewhat for me today, one just tanked an entire turn of shooting and still had 6 wounds. I think I need to play them way more aggressive and advance them, ignoring the mortar until I have them where I want them. Overall I have plenty of food for thought with the Daemons soup probably going into storage for now as I work out how to move mono-DG for the next tournament.

I tried triple Poxbringers due to mortal wound output, but they aren't that mobile and therefore I couldn't get juicy targets. Though Poxbringers aren't bad in melee, especially wirh the relic weapon and they are able to support daemons.

As a supreme command detachment they also bring 1 CP. Though as part of a Nurglings battalion they should be even better.

Best part is there are so many possibilities to convert / scratch build them.

Overall I got mixed results. I think it's because of my rather poor skills.

Archived