BnC Arena of Death for Knights - Rules?

Kelborn

Hey there,

I was advice to visit this subforum in order to ask the following:

How about creating an Arena of Death event for Knights and comparable walkers?

I'm using Brother Tyler's suggestion of going one of three ways:

- Imperial Knights only - simple and most balanced, but excluding some segment of the site's membership

- Imperial Knights and Renegade Knights - almost as simple and almost as balanced, but still excluding some segment of the site's membership

- Any Imperial Knight equivalent unit from the various factions - most complex and least balanced (unless the faction's options are limited), most inclusive, requires some rules development and evaluation to impose some range of balance

Imperial Knight: Renegade seems to cover Imperial & Renegade Knights, as well as T'au, etc. so this could be a good start to go with.

Now, I have to confess: I honestly don't have any clue of rules, stats and all that kind of stuff as I'm a "fluff" guy, who never played the game or did minis. I just had the idea yesterday in the morning. :sweat:

That's why I'd like to ask you experts of what you think.

Feasible enough to give it a try? How to continue further? Someone interested in creating such an event for the wider BnC? :)

Cheers,
Kelborn

You could pick an event like on the Blood Angels subforum and ask permission to recreate it for Knights? 
Set a points amount, let people put in entries (1 knight/2 armigers?) and roll/storywrite away!

You could pick an event like on the Blood Angels subforum and ask permission to recreate it for Knights? 

Set a points amount, let people put in entries (1 knight/2 armigers?) and roll/storywrite away!

We've had Arena of Death challenges here at the B&C throughout the years, with events like the one in the Blood Angels forum simply deriving from those larger AoD events. There's no need to ask anyone's permission.

We've had Arena of Death challenges here at the B&C throughout the years, with events like the one in the Blood Angels forum simply deriving from those larger AoD events. There's no need to ask anyone's permission.

Fair enough. I was aware that these kinds of events were running for years, I was just thinking out of courtesy :)

Might actually be a fun idea to setup.

I would recommend to just keep it simple and have it as an Imperial Knights-only event (no renegades/Chaos, no xenos). I would further restrict it to just the Errant and Warden models, minus the back carapace weapons. It would basically become a loyalists only version of Imperial Knights: Renegade, and might be run as an online text-based version. Thematically, you might call it a tournament or challenge sort of event (in the game universe) where Imperial Knight households conduct a tournament of sorts when multiple households gather, much like the Imperial Fists Feast of Blades. Alternately, it might a sort of training simulation used by the Imperial Knight households.

Assuming you have (or plan to get) Imperial Knights: Renegade, the rules are fairly simple. You would simply have to figure out geography (terrain, distances) and how participants exert some level of control (i.e., some method of providing descriptive instructions that would allow controllers to conduct battles).

From a participant standpoint, you could give members X amount of days from the release of the new codex to paint up a suitable model and provide background and instructions. You might establish a maximum number of participants to support a standard tournament tree, whether single elimination or double elimination. You don't need to actually use the tournament tree, using random pairings instead (but the tournament trees, usually in powers of four, ensure that everyone has a battle every round).

With a double elimination tournament and eight combatants, you're looking at 14 or 15 battles:

med_gallery_26_548_12971.jpg

With a single elimination tournament and eight combatants, you're looking at 7 battles:

sml_gallery_26_548_5215.jpg

(click the images for larger versions)

Increasing/decreasing the number of combatants adjusts the number of potential battles (and it's not straight multiplication/division).

• 1 month later...

Another thought - you might adapt the Adeptus Titanicus rules to Imperial Knights. I'm not sure how the new rules will compare with the original rules, but you might be able to find some stuff out about the original rules using various internet resources (the Board Game Geek would be a good start).

Archived