Moving away from the Sanctic Halo...

Captain Idaho

Then you can use the Relic on that Techmarine at the back with the Primarch's Wrath.

Only problem with this is that he is so far away the deny the witch part of the relic is almost unused. Also you can't have two relics on one dude if I remember correctly. :(

I think it is solid on a normal captain with a Relic Blade, Power Fist, Thunder Hammer, etc.. You want the character with this to be somewhat up close and personal. A Primaris Captain with MC Auto-Bolt Rifle walking up the field with 20 Intercessors would be pretty decent. A Phalanx of death just slowly moving up the field. I say slowly... but they are pretty quick.

Um I said use the Relic slot on the Techmarine, not put a Sanctic Halo on one!

For the Primaris inclined a Sanctic Halo is a no brainer. But what could they take instead to still get some use and variance? Primaris need more variety than anyone since their builds are all the same (no kit-bashing unfortunately).

I just can't believe that after all this time and quite a few games I never noticed the entry for the Armour Indomitus.....

My eyes must have just gone straight for the Shield Eternal, lol.

But I genuinely didn't see that first relic entry and feeling pretty stupid now, also wondering what else I've missed. :)

From my experience Codex marines simply can't play "herohammer" realistically against the bigger boys. After a particularly bad drubbing this weekend when I faced upon against a guy with a big gang of heavy hitters I'm going to have to relegate all my HQ's back into what I see as their most useful role as simply force multipliers on a gunline. And for that it means Santic Halo, the storm shield relic and perhaps the Primarch's Wrath. Marine heroes are simply too fragile to be able to push them forth into the fray, which is a real shame.

IMO I think it's less that our guys are too fragile, and more that our guys are too expensive. The bulk of our value is the aura's we're paying for, which provide no extra benefit when duplicating.

Nobody is going to look at the stats of a Captain on Bike w/THSS and the be able to deny that Shield Captains on Dawn Eagles aren't vastly superior for only 24pts more!

When I look at a lot of codex marine units in a silo (barring centurions which are blatantly overpriced) I think their points costs "feel" right.

The problem is that each codex that has come out after marines has generally introduced either same but cheaper, or better and cheaper things. It's only when I compare points costs across codexes that I get angry.

From my experience Codex marines simply can't play "herohammer" realistically against the bigger boys. After a particularly bad drubbing this weekend when I faced upon against a guy with a big gang of heavy hitters I'm going to have to relegate all my HQ's back into what I see as their most useful role as simply force multipliers on a gunline. And for that it means Santic Halo, the storm shield relic and perhaps the Primarch's Wrath. Marine heroes are simply too fragile to be able to push them forth into the fray, which is a real shame.

IMO I think it's less that our guys are too fragile, and more that our guys are too expensive. The bulk of our value is the aura's we're paying for, which provide no extra benefit when duplicating.

Nobody is going to look at the stats of a Captain on Bike w/THSS and the be able to deny that Shield Captains on Dawn Eagles aren't vastly superior for only 24pts more!

When I look at a lot of codex marine units in a silo (barring centurions which are blatantly overpriced) I think their points costs "feel" right.

The problem is that each codex that has come out after marines has generally introduced either same but cheaper, or better but cheaper things. It's only when I compare points costs across codexes that I get angry.

Yep - totally agree. When Ultras got the ability to regain command points, for example, I thought it was super fluffy and very cool - now everybody seems to get it. I also now look at Death Watch and think they're how all marines should be.

Archived