Will Slaanesh get an update like other gods?

Let me answer that with a clear "maybe".

Nobody can answer that question except for GW and they won't until it gets officially announced. However I'd say it's extremely likely we'll see Slaanesh and Emperor's Children get the Tzeentch&TSons/Nurgle&DG treatment as well.

Let me answer that with a clear "maybe".

Nobody can answer that question except for GW and they won't until it gets officially announced. However I'd say it's extremely likely we'll see Slaanesh and Emperor's Children get the Tzeentch&TSons/Nurgle&DG treatment as well.

Just gonna point out this:

May15-RumourEngine4vbgk.jpg

Rumour Engine – May 15th, 2018

That is CLEARLY a Slaaneshi-type claw, not a Tyranid one.

So it's not a "maybe" or "if", it's "when".

I have to disagree partially. Yes, it's clearly Slaanesh and it indicates that there's something Slaanesh coming eventually. It does however not automatically mean that there's a whole Slaanesh update coming as OP asked. It's likely but not a definite "yes, it's coming".

At this point its guaranteed.  Slannesh is a major player in 40k and Fantasy.  He/She/It Ain't going nowhere. 

Look at Morathi in Fantasy, That model (and her Naga bretheren whatever they are called) seems to be a tester figure for Fulgrim. At least in some way. 

I probably won't do a full EC army when they get the release.....but I absolutely will get a couple boxes of noise marines. 

To say nothing of all the daemon chicanery, new HQ models, Keeper of Secrets (duh) would be the obvious choices, given that the entire line is plastic minus HQ's it probably would be a centralized release, followed by the Emperors Children (or vice versa) and the EC will have a HUGE release when it comes... probably close to 10 kits. (judging by 1k sons and Death Guard both getting 9ish kits or so) 

We've already had rumors that Daemon Fulgrim is completed and with the Rumor Engine's keeper sized claw, I would say that it's leaning towards a strong yes. The timing is the only thing getting argued about right now. There's conflicting reports ranging from August to first quarter next year. All we can really do is wait.

To say nothing of all the daemon chicanery, new HQ models, Keeper of Secrets (duh) would be the obvious choices, given that the entire line is plastic minus HQ's it probably would be a centralized release, followed by the Emperors Children (or vice versa) and the EC will have a HUGE release when it comes... probably close to 10 kits. (judging by 1k sons and Death Guard both getting 9ish kits or so) 

I count 6 new kits that were released for the Thousand Sons during the T-Sons release:

• Tzaangors
  • Rubric Marines
  • Scarab Occult
  • Exalted Sorcerers
  • Ahriman
  • Magnus

And 17 for the Death Guard (which I won't waste time listing off; notably lots of them are individual models). I think it's a bit of a stretch to say the EC are guaranteed anything close to 10 kits, considering the Death Guard push was because they're the other major face of 8th edition; to pretend the TSons and Death Guard releases are even comparable in volume, much less form a pattern that can be extrapolated to other factions, seems very silly to me.

The way I see it, Fulgrim and proper plastic Noise Marines with an expanded equipment loadout are a given, plastic Lucius is extremely probable, some sort of EC Terminator is likely, and the EC might see dual citizenship Age of Sigmar models as with Tzaangors; but I see little probability that it'll be anywhere near comparable to the half of a year's worth of prime-time attention that the Death Guard received.

As for the daemon side...I'm cynical as to where that's going to go. Noise Marines are more-or-less on par for the course, but leaving modern Slaanesh in a setting which is becoming more overtly child-oriented seems about as wise as running a strip club and a childcare center from the same facility. If it weren't for the claw reveal, I wouldn't be surprised if they avoided even reminding the world of Slaanesh, and simply let the chaos god rot in the background fluff. At best I could see them retconning away Slaanesh's more lascivious tendencies and remodeling the chaos god's daemons more around the theme of perfection. But at worst I could see them pulling some really dumb crap with Slaanesh. In any case, how GW treats Slaanesh is certainly an important indicator for the future direction of 40k's design.

As for the daemon side...I'm cynical as to where that's going to go. Noise Marines are more-or-less on par for the course, but leaving modern Slaanesh in a setting which is becoming more overtly child-oriented seems about as wise as running a strip club and a childcare center from the same facility. If it weren't for the claw reveal, I wouldn't be surprised if they avoided even reminding the world of Slaanesh, and simply let the chaos god rot in the background fluff. At best I could see them retconning away Slaanesh's more lascivious tendencies and remodeling the chaos god's daemons more around the theme of perfection. But at worst I could see them pulling some really dumb crap with Slaanesh. In any case, how GW treats Slaanesh is certainly an important indicator for the future direction of 40k's design.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they merged Slaanesh and Cegorach as some Grimdark'd Two-Face. The art direction in the Avatar of Cegorach was very telling, at least to me. 

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they merged Slaanesh and Cegorach as some Grimdark'd Two-Face. The art direction in the Avatar of Cegorach was very telling, at least to me.

Wait. Avatar of Cegorach? Where'd that come from? We only have two Avatars, the Avatar of Khaine and the Yncarne, the Avatar if Ynnead.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they merged Slaanesh and Cegorach as some Grimdark'd Two-Face. The art direction in the Avatar of Cegorach was very telling, at least to me.

Wait. Avatar of Cegorach? Where'd that come from? We only have two Avatars, the Avatar of Khaine and the Yncarne, the Avatar if Ynnead.

I'm not sure exactly what he's referring to, but technically speaking it is at least rumored among the Harlequins (according to the 7th edition Harlequins codex) that Cegorach himself occasionally takes on the mask of the Harlequin to fight amongst them. I suppose that's a sort of an Avatar, though highly distinct from the mechanics of the Avatar of Khaine at least.

Slaanesh update should be here this year, or early next. The claw makes me think it is this year, in q3 but I don't have any particular special intel. Fulgrim is on the way too. I'm expecting him before Angron, and I don't know if there will be any other loyalist primarchs released for 40k any time soon. Though, I kind of hope they do.

As far as the avatar of cegorach, he is referring to the Avatar of Ynnead, I think. Ynnead is a god the eldar "created" and so is Slaanesh. So it isn't so strange they'd have similarities. I think the art direction is justified without it foreshadowing something else.

I was told months back that after all the 7th edition codexes were released for 8th that both EC and WE would get their own codexes with model support like DG/TS. I do expect that to happen. My wish listing for that would include new plastic noise marines, updated plastic Lucius (with hopefully rules that make him an absolute beast that he is in the lore) and some kind of new Slaanesh inspired Palatine Blades to show the greatest swordsmen in all the Legions in 30k in a 40k setting. I also expect Fulgrim with his 4 armed snake self and whatever his Terminator elite, Phoenix Guard, as new Slaanesh inspired termies.

I'd also expect sonic weaponry galore for weapon options on vehicles.

I'll just be happy if we get a sonic dread.

But yeah, after the expected releases, there has to be more chaos. Hopefully a campaign in there. Once EC and WE are released there will probably be a new Codex CSM as well. This is when I expect to see the new suped up Abbadon in all his chaos ascendant glory, too.

I actually expect a slaanesh daemons release before the CSM release, but I think/hope they tie them in together and we aren't waiting long.

I want Sonic weaponry on everything like DG have Plague weaponry on everything. Also a bunch of unique units of course (not just old units with sonic weaponry). I kinda want to see what kind of horde-type unit GW is going to give EC considering they did it for TSons and DG ... that's pretty much the only reason why I haven't started buying Cultists yet.

Gathering Storm also talked about a Titan with Sonic weaponry ... yes please!

I presume this is a rhetorical question? :wink: Someone has to be last, and for the Chaos Gods that is Slaanesh at the moment. Not brilliant if that's your army but so it goes, I'm using it as an opportunity to work on what I have - ETL aside - to prepare the decks (I've just added more units but I'm not claiming I'm good at it :tongue.: ).

As mentioned we can surely expect a similar treatment, so sonic weaponry is likely to make a notable appearance. As to how any when only GW knows, so as ever patience is the key. After the triumvirates many thought that something similar would be done for more armies and so far nothing, but with the Abaddon rumours perhaps that is going to change soon?

I presume this is a rhetorical question? ;) Someone has to be last, and for the Chaos Gods that is Slaanesh at the moment. Not brilliant if that's your army but so it goes, I'm using it as an opportunity to work on what I have - ETL aside - to prepare the decks (I've just added more units but I'm not claiming I'm good at it :P ).

As mentioned we can surely expect a similar treatment, so sonic weaponry is likely to make a notable appearance. As to how any when only GW knows, so as ever patience is the key. After the triumvirates many thought that something similar would be done for more armies and so far nothing, but with the Abaddon rumours perhaps that is going to change soon?

personally, I hope that every subfaction of chaos (as well as loyalist) space Marines get their own codex. I just want Emperor's Children to come (ha) before the others.

Unlike several of my contemporaries though, I don't want a heavy emphasis on sonic weapons. I'm ok with noise marines, and sonic dreadnoughts, and I could even see a sonic tank; but I don't want the armies of Slaanesh to be bogged down with noise as the central theme. I want us to have some units that focus on close combat and the thrill of the perfect strike. I want an emphasis on drugs being used to not only make units better, but to also bring back a sense of feeling. I want at least one unit focused on getting stat bumps from being injured because of the pleasure that they feel from pain. I want a unit that excels at blinding the enemy and making it significantly harder for your units to be hit all while giggling to themselves at how pathetic the enemy is for "only being blinded by the light equivalent to a small star". I want a unit that rips the enemy apart and gets better based off of how many people they've killed.

I'm not sure exactly what he's referring to, but technically speaking it is at least rumored among the Harlequins (according to the 7th edition Harlequins codex) that Cegorach himself occasionally takes on the mask of the Harlequin to fight amongst them. I suppose that's a sort of an Avatar, though highly distinct from the mechanics of the Avatar of Khaine at least.

Yncarne, Cegorach... Tuhmatoe, toematoh.

All Xenos filth I can never remember the names of.

I count 6 new kits that were released for the Thousand Sons during the T-Sons release:

• Tzaangors
  • Rubric Marines
  • Scarab Occult
  • Exalted Sorcerers
  • Ahriman
  • Magnus

And 17 for the Death Guard (which I won't waste time listing off; notably lots of them are individual models). I think it's a bit of a stretch to say the EC are guaranteed anything close to 10 kits, considering the Death Guard push was because they're the other major face of 8th edition; to pretend the TSons and Death Guard releases are even comparable in volume, much less form a pattern that can be extrapolated to other factions, seems very silly to me.

The way I see it, Fulgrim and proper plastic Noise Marines with an expanded equipment loadout are a given, plastic Lucius is extremely probable, some sort of EC Terminator is likely, and the EC might see dual citizenship Age of Sigmar models as with Tzaangors; but I see little probability that it'll be anywhere near comparable to the half of a year's worth of prime-time attention that the Death Guard received.

Gotta disagree here! to clarify; I don't count all that "oh they got SO many unique kits!" yeah.. if you count 4 (or more) of them being more "snap together plague marines" then sure.... 

I don't truly count those as a "unique kit" its simply another kit of the same thing, its like a box of tac marines... There may be several different versions, but it truly doesn't make a difference in the overall model line. 

So that brings our count to; 

Daddy Mort, Plauge marines, Deathshroud, Plauge termies, Poxwalkers, Blight drones, 4 unique character kits + typhus, plauge crawler.  Bringing the actual "unique" kit count to a solid 12.  Pretty good, although a full sized codex release quite nice. 

As compared to the Thousand Sons; We have.... Ahriman, Magnus, Exalted sorcerers (so really 3 characters as opposed to the 4 separate ones of the DG) Rubrics, Tzaangors, Scarab Occult, and of course the Skyfires/enlightened although part of the same kit make fairly different units with different purposes, Tzaangors shaman, Mutalith for a total of 9 "unique" kits. (more or less)  We have decent selection of our own units. 

Id say 9 to 12...not to bad. I don't count all that "snap together" tomfoolery as anything special.  Although once you average out the character count...its closer to an even number, as we have a box of 3 characters... whereas DG has 4 snap fit kits for characters.... Far more even then it looks IMHO

I don't see it as being a stretch at all... They will most assuredly get Lucius, Fulgrim, Noise Marines, Terminators, and a "big" kit of a vehicle / walker of some kind, as well as a "cultist" of unique variety in some way shape or form, thats 6 MINIMUM.  Id imagine they will go a bit beyond that in some way, its possible they will also end up with 2 types of terminators, and id bet my bottom dollar a melee kit of some kind, their rules SCREAM for it (pun only......partially intended)  I can certainly see them leaving out the "sexual" aspect of Slannesh, but I don't see that chaos God going anywhere. 

I don’t think they are all that concerned about child friendly when it comes to Slaanesh. There hasn’t been a single official word that states it, and they haven’t exactly dialed down their kits. Sure, they aren’t as overtly sexual as they were during the Juan Diaz days, but the current models are more throwback to the older iteration of daemonette. The same throwback applies to all the plastic daemons, they all look more like the first set of metals than the second set.

I expect any Slaanesh release to be amped up in a lot of ways, and I have zero expectation that it will be kid-friendly, or even attempt it.

GW has kid-friendly lines in the vedros boxes among others, and they have many factions that are less likely to piss off a prudish, or overprotective parents. They have that base covered, it’s why they market the Orks or Tyranids/GSC as the bad guys in most younger-age oriented products. They don’t market any of the chaos factions that way. They all are both a little harder to grasp conceptually, and a little more mature themed.

It's still 17 different unique sets of sprues that GW made for Death Guard. *That* is the quantity that matters, after all, not your personal opinion as to what counts as a separate kit.

Are we predicting new kits that will be specifically produced for EC, or just any old thing they'll throw to the EC as filler? Because, again, it seems silly to compare 17 brand new specifically made kits for the Death Guard with 5 brand new specifically Thousand Sons kits and a bunch of hand-me-downs from Age of Sigmar to predict that the EC would receive 9-12 brand new EC kits.

If we're speculating also about immigrant models from AoS, (1) am I the only one who considers that an incredibly lame way to expand an army? And (2) if AoS immigrants do count, what models in particular do you have in mind which could be ported to 40k?

If we're speculating also about immigrant models from AoS, (1) am I the only one who considers that an incredibly lame way to expand an army? And (2) if AoS immigrants do count, what models in particular do you have in mind which could be ported to 40k?

There's none for Slaanesh that could be ported over, unless they somehow use the Hellstriders. Slaanesh's army listing on the GW store only has three mortals in it, the Hellstriders, Lord on Mount and Sigvald's model.

Yeah Slaanesh basically has only marauder type of units aside from daemons. Some of them on daemonic steeds but that's it. It's not like with TSons where the release was split and AoS had some of the Tzaangors for a while before they got added to TSons as well and Deathguard didn't get any AoS models either.

Honestly, I'd enjoy having Hellstriders added to an Emperor's Children army.

If they go with a cult of speed sublist, and add doomstrider, a new bike unit (or just update csm bikes), and then access to hellstriders for a vanguard list to use as chaff/filler, I think it could make a fun list. 

If they don't add them to 40k, I've still considered picking up a box to use as Daemonettes on Seekers for an allied daemons list.

Archived