Making chaos warriors into marines

Here is a tutorial on how to use chaos warriors to make marines with furred cloaks.  I used noise marine parts, as that's what I wanted to end up with, but this method would work as well for loyalist marines such as space wolves.  It is probably best for models holding a gun across their chest, because that blocks most of the "fantasy" (rather than sci fi) elements on the warriors, such as their belts.

I had originally posted this in the Chaos marines area, but thought it might be or more general use so am now sharing here.

1.  Start with these pieces and tools - you need one set of chaos space marine legs, on chaos warriors body front, one chaos warriors body back, a base, a noise marine gun + arm, plus a chaos space marine back pack, shoulder pad (1) and head (or warriors head) - I forgot to show those last 3.

My preferred tool is a jeweler's saw (shown) as it allows for fine cuts and you can steer the blade somewhat to cut around details.  Personally, its my most useful hobby tool.  You will also need a hobby knife and green stuff (or other epoxy putty).  You also need greenstuff shaping tools or a flat toothpick or similar object.

0Wn0gTA.jpg

2.  Saw off the warrior's legs just below the hanging armoured plates.  You do this by first sawing down one side of the chain mail, and then making a cut across the leg until the 2 join.  Then do the same on the other leg.  This will leave you with the chainmail triangular "post" between the two now empty legs.  Use your hobby knife to clean up the area - if the triangle is too big, you may need to trim the back portion fit the space marine legs.

MawPPUE.jpg

3.  Cut the space marine legs, at about the bottom of the crotch or a bit higher.  Try to have as "flat" a cut as possible - its very easy to have it slope upwards or downwards, which isn't fatal but may make fitting the legs into the warrior's piece you had previously cut.

qtaEYtp.jpg

The seperated chaos marine legs.

QbHhTrg.jpg

4.  Using greenstuff, fit a chaos marine leg into the corresponding "hole" on the warrior front.  You may have to cut the leg and/or the crotch a bit to get them to fit.  Once you have, some greenstuff has likely squeezed out the edges - trim it or push it back so it isn't visible, and smooth the green stuff to hide the seem between the 2 plastic parts.  Then try it upright to see how it stands, move the leg into the desired position.  You will then likely have to shape the greenstuff again, as some more may have squeezed into view.

scZBMAd.jpg

5.  Leave the leg to cure.  Once it has, repeat with the other leg.  Note, if you don't let it cure before moving to the second, its harder to ensure the leg stays in the position you want it.

6.  Glue to the warrior front part (which we've been working on) to the base.

j9UmDDp.jpg

You can see that the models left leg (on our right) was cut too short, and I had to extend it with green stuff.  That would have been very difficult to do had I not let the first leg cure.

7. Glue the front part of the warrior (that we have been working on) to the back part (the bit with the cape).  

4pNQtn5.jpg

8.  Cut just below the warriors arm back to where is joins the body.  When doing all cutting, grab the torso rather than the legs.

L8tnxad.jpg

9.  Cut just beside the neck guard on the shoulder.  If you can manage it, have about 1mm space between the neck guard and the saw, as otherwise you will likely mangle the neck guard a little (as I did) and it is harder to cut around the round bit of armour protecting the front should pit.

dQ1LaJQ.jpg

10.  Saw down until the cuts join - its usually easier to see if you are looking at the back.  You may have to return to the sideways cut and continue it if they don't meet.

2ZPpuij.jpg

11.  If your cuts meet, the shoulder should fall off.  Or, if they are close enough together, you can break it off with your fingers.  Clean up the area (such as the remaining bit of the warrior arm in the photo below) with your hobby knife.

YZoB5xi.jpg

12.  Repeat those steps for the other shoulder.

7JCj4lC.jpg

13.  Dry fit the gun arms, then attach them to the torso using either glue or greenstuff.  I prefer greenstuff, as it allows you some "flex" to pose them a bit, plus the surface from the cut is usually pretty bumpy, which isn't ideal for gluing.

WaWAD21.jpg

14.  Attach a shoulder pad of your choice - my recommendation is one without much raised ornamentation, as that will be hidden by the cloak and may make the cloak bulge strangely.  Do so with greenstuff - I find glue doesn't work well between the noise marine shoulder and your standard shoulder pad.

LkBFsEV.jpg

15.  Glue on the head of your choice.

vxYV6bh.jpg

16.  Mix some greenstuff, and put a roughly triangular patch like this on your finger (wet your finger first - helps keep it from sticking).  This is for the cape that goes over the shoulder pads.

3743n2O.jpg

17.  Place it over the shoulder pad, stretching it as necessary.  You may find that your piece wasn't big enough - either take it off and start again with more, or (as I did) add some where you are missing coverage. 

Zk7OykH.jpg

18.  Repeat for the other shoulder.

AT02HsP.jpg

19.  Use your tool to smooth the grrenstuffed cloak and put natural grooves in it.  Pay particular attention to where it joins the caps and the bottom - you want the transition to be as smooth as possible - you may need to reach under his shoulder in the front and push the greenstuff back some.  You may also need to rebuild some detail on his cape - here, I still need to redo the rope on the skull, which got sawed off with the shoulder.

Z8XUn6x.jpg

20.  Put the miniature aside to let the cape cure.

21.  Now we rebuild the fur trim on the cloak.  Roll a thin sausage of greenstuff and place it across the shoulder next to the shoulder protector.  Put it in place and trim it if it is too long.  This is easiest done with your greenstuff tool.

LTJrmOb.jpg

22.  Use your tool to flatten it and put grooves in it to mimic the fur trim that remains on the cloak.  You may find that you don't have as much coverage as you would like (or too much) - remove or add greenstuff as and where needed.

QhlCjdM.jpg

23.   Repeat on the other side.  Be careful not to accidentally press on the other shoulder - if you do, be prepared to redo your work there.

TZllKRT.jpg

24.  Put a blob of greenstuff on the back pack, then squish into the position you want on the back.  After you do so, see if any greenstuff for the backpack is visible - if it is, either trim it (if it isn't structural), or sculpt it into fur.

rg0EoZA.jpg

25.  FInd something to do with the leftover legs - something I have yet to figure out. :smile.:

33uZM1z.jpg

Oh, as a note, if you don't like the fantasy torsos, you can (with some trimming of the sides and the warrior's torso) use a chaos space marine front instead.  This does mean, however, you don't get the neck guards, which I think look pretty cool.  As well, most of the torso is hidden by the weapon, so it doesn't look overly "fantasy" anyway.

kSftSWs.jpg

Anyway, hope that was informative

Thanks - glad you like them.

And yes, there may be an easier way to do them.  I can just show you my way, though. :)  In any case, I've now done 24 of them, and they don't feel particularly onerous to do, unless you try to saw up a bunch one after another, which can lead to sore fingers.  So, if you do my method, best to make them one at a time, and wait a bit between sawing one and sawing the next.

Haven't tried recasting before, but that might work.  You might have recast the shoulder pads as well, or figure out a way of shaping the cape up over the shoulder pads without having the greenstuff stick to them.

Yeah, I wish I was generally more skilled at this side of the hobby... but I always look at improving a process... I call it laziness, but I tell my boss it's called efficiency. Hahah

Thanks!

I don't recall exactly how I came up with the idea - I first thought of it during 3rd or 4th edition, when I was starting a night lord's army.  I bought myself a box of warriors, then bitz ordered chaos marine backpacks, round bases, and loyalist marine bolters and arms - back then you could order a much broader variety of bitz from the GW online store than you can now.  I built maybe half a squad of chaos marines, but I didn't replace the legs so they still have cloth boots, which looks a little odd.  Ultimately, however, I lost interest in that project, as I didn't enjoy painting them.

Then, right at the end of 7th ed., I revived the project, finished that unit, settled on a paint scheme that I liked (purple) and dedided to field them as emperor's children instead.  Then, when I wanted some noise marines, I decided to give them the same look as my previous squad, but to get rid of the very non-sci fi booted legs.  It does mean I lost the sense of motion and purpose of the original walking legs, but they do look more like actual marines rather than fantasy models with guns.

I'll upload a picture of my original unit when I get home.

Yep, I am glad that I finally got my chaos army up and running, even if it wasn't how I first imagined it.

Here is a picture of my original warriors converstion:

WxRTeO1.jpg

Here are the 2 characters I made way back when, these use warriors parts combined with metal raptors parts and other assorted bits.

S3DsZfG.jpg

• 6 months later...

Archived