Update: post FAQ RG 2K

deadangel101

This is the final list I ended up going with:

Raven Guard Battalion Detachment: 1387

108. Captain: jump pack, MC bolgun, power fist, armor indomitus, warlord- iron resolve

63. Lieutenant: MC boltgun, chainsword

55. 5 Scouts: 4 boltguns, sgt w combat knife

55. 5 Scouts: 4 boltguns, sgt w combat knife

55. 5 Scouts: 4 combat knives, sgt w chainsword

182. Venerable Dreadnought: twin lascannon, DCCW w storm bolter

182. Venerabble Dreadnought: twin lascannon, DCCW w storm bolter

111. 3 Aggressors: boltstorm and fragstorm

177. 3 Inceptors: plasma exterminators

177. 3 Inceptors: plasma exterminators

Raven Guard Air Wing Detachment: 612

204 Stormtalon: 2 lascannons

Played my first game against Aeldari yesterday. The hame was a loss, although there was little I could have done to change the outcome. We were playing Deadlock with Front Line Assault deployment. He got the first turn. In that first turn, he managed to rack up an impressive 10 (TEN!!!!) victory points. He racked up another five in the 2nd turn, and there was no hope of catching him. I could have deployed a little differently to perhaps mitigate turn two, but my opponent had the devil's own luck with him. I decided to play out the game just to test my units' performance.

We went five turns, and my opponent didn't score for the rest of the game beyond turn 2. I got 8 victory points throughout the game. If we had been playing attrition I would have won. The Stormtalons performed that gave my opponent fits the entire game. Even by the end of the game he had only managed to bring down one of the three fliers. The Venerable Dreadnoughts also performed well, taking out 9 shining spears between them in melee. The scout squads did their job sitting on objectives and largely being forgotten.

One problem I had was how to deploy the aggressors using SFtS when you go second. I placed two squads in cover and a third deep on one flank. By the end of turn two, I had lost the two in cover. The third had avenged their brothers somewhat by gunning down ten fire dragons and helping to clear my right flank. I would be curious to know how some other people handle their deployment when they don't get the first turn.

One problem I had was how to deploy the aggressors using SFtS when you go second. I placed two squads in cover and a third deep on one flank. By the end of turn two, I had lost the two in cover. The third had avenged their brothers somewhat by gunning down ten fire dragons and helping to clear my right flank. I would be curious to know how some other people handle their deployment when they don't get the first turn.

I experience the same pains. I think you are on the right track, and it just comes down to playing with more LOS blocking terrain. I think when you go second there are three basic ways to deploy them:

1) In cover, on an objective, in an area of the board where they are unlikely to get easily removed.

2) Deployed up close, where they are sure to die - but in a fashion where your opponent must deal with them. They make effective bait.

3) Deployed to run interference and function as a tarpit. 2W and T5 makes them pretty durable in close combat against most line troops. I have had success keeping them hidden until I jump them out to tie up a unit (after softening them up).

I suppose against certain opponents (Nids, World Eaters) it would make sense to keep them back to reinforce your gunline and flanks.

Yeah that guy (Brody?) isn’t exactly a font of epiphanies but his talks are basically solid. That one runs right in line with most my own thoughts on terrain and is the reason I try to have two strong objective taking teams to run with a gunline backfield. That doesn’t count the Scouts who are expendable but often seem to get ignored first turn or two in most battle reports I watch.

Against certain armies like Nids you just have to try and create overlapping fields of fire and pray the dice are with you.

With Aggressors I think you need bigger squads. Not setting them up to use those powerfist is wasting a good resource. Half my strategy is based on getting those guys to pound on something that was weakened by massive small arms backed up by a Hellblaster team. The other half is trying to find ways to get them to survive past Tuen One ;)

I've thought about taking two squads of four aggressors instead of three squads of three. Also combining the two squads of inceptors into one. Gives me enough points to upgrade the lieutenant to a chaplain with jump pack to support any assaults I might want to make with aggressors or venerable dreadnoughts. It also cuts two unit drops. In the game over the weekend, my opponent had one less drop than me, and I think I might want to hedge my bets a little for first turn.

Less drops and more durable. That’s exactly why I’m going to run squads of 5 (that and I’m stubbornly old school about unit size). There are only 3 or 4 points on the battlefield that you need to win. Spreading too thin or hoping to cover the entire field is folly. Overwhelming surgical application of force at the Objectives you choose to win is way to go IMO.

I’m running three Captains and a Lieutenant. I love Chaplain models but unless it’s a VV unit I can’t see running them over a Capt. Rerolls to hit are just to important for all the plasma I want to run.

Would love to convert that Blood Angel a Chappie to Raven Guard though :)

Archived