Adding a Dominus to Ultramarines

Captain Idaho

Let's discuss adding either of the variants of Dominus Knights to Ultramarines - best way to do so, what options to take (I don't believe we can get Relics etc unless we take a full detachment of 3 Knights minimum though I could be wrong), which variant of Dominus, what sort of army to use alongside a Dominus...

For me it's all about the Castellen. The weapons systems hammer opponents every turn and don't require you throwing the unit into harms way of rapid firing plasma and Melta guns. Not that I think the Castellen shouldn't advance on the opponent's list but it's nice not to be forced to do so.

It's still unclear to me whether you can get a Relic etc with a single Castellen in the army but if the answer is yes then Cawl's Wrath is a no brainer. Straight damage 2 and overcharged damage 2 is sick.

The list I'd take along side such a unit would have to have some vehicles in it to ensure the opponent doesn't just fire every anti tank at the Knight mindlessly. 3 minimum. Perhaps transports and Dreadnoughts could benefit from such an ally.

Depends on the Codex options but I'm thinking of running one as a Freeblade, not sure how the positive and negative modifiers will stack up though.

Otherwise House Raven look to be pretty good for this.

I'm not sure in a Marine army though if the points you would spend on the Knight would you leave you with enough to be viable?

If I was going to do this I would add a knight into a Primaris army setup around Aggressors.

Knight Valiant (Heavy Flamer relic & 4+ Invlun Warlord Trait)

Ultramarines

Primaris Librarian

Primaris Librarian

Intercessor Squad (5-man) x3 (Bolt Rifles and Grenade Launcher)

Aggressor Squad (6-man) x3 (Bolter Variant)

Not sure that's going to give target saturation really. I think to successfully use a Dominus would require some vehicles to soak some attention.

Possibly... but man you are really cutting the bodies on the board if you do that. It might be okay at 2k points but GW is trying to shift the meta to 1750. Going to be hard pressed to put enough threats on the board if you are trying to squeeze vehicles in as well. You might be left with only min-sized scout squads to hold objectives.

I was thinking the same today. At 1750pts we're looking at a Dominus that is likely the only vehicle in the list, or at least the main firepower element.

Seems Astra Millitarum would enjoy it the most.

As the codex stands, I see no way to get to threat saturation.  There is simply nothing in the book that would draw fire away from a Dominus. 

A second dominus. In all seriousness no you probably won't be keeping it from getting shot so the mechanicus houses will probably the best choice since you can just spend 1 CP to fire at full effect. Also just happens to allow the relic Plasma cannon. There's stratagems for relics and warlord traits that you can use but it was confirmed elsewhere that you won't get the household traits, just the strats, relics, and warlord traits of the house if you take a lone knight.

I don't know how much the drop to 1750 is gonna matter since that's just GW events and in the end it doesn't speed up the games really, ITC and similar events are still at 2k.

As the codex stands, I see no way to get to threat saturation.  There is simply nothing in the book that would draw fire away from a Dominus. 

A second dominus. In all seriousness no you probably won't be keeping it from getting shot so the mechanicus houses will probably the best choice since you can just spend 1 CP to fire at full effect. Also just happens to allow the relic Plasma cannon. There's stratagems for relics and warlord traits that you can use but it was confirmed elsewhere that you won't get the household traits, just the strats, relics, and warlord traits of the house if you take a lone knight.

*Our* codex, brother.  Not the knight's.

Our Codex isn't that bad! Any vehicles should help target saturation with a Dominus.

I don't care much about not having the Knight Household if I got Cawl's Wrath. That gun is sick.

It absolutely is that bad.  Or maybe the Dominus is that good.  But seriously, if I have a pile of lascannons or whatever and I'm looking at a Dominus plus anything in the Space Marine codex, I will shoot at the Dominus every time.  Especially if it has a relic like Cawl's Wrath.

Spend two command points it becomes a character choose House Vulkyr (?) take the Warlord trait can’t be wounded on a 1, 2, or 3. Take Cawl’s the 4+ invuln. 12 lascanons in a list at Ballistic skill 2 will need 2-3 turns to kill it on average, rotate ion sheild buys another turn.

I run a house taranis contingent which have been allocated as personal guard to RG to protect Cawls investment in RG and the technology in his armour.

Castellan makes an ideal firebase. Perhaps a pair of warglaive armigers to protect from deep striking cc enemies?

Archived