Canoptek Wraiths..how to equip? & Tactics!...

MithrilForge

Heya, Putting some Wraiths together for my army (FYI -will be running them under the Novokh Banner)

how do people equip their wraiths?...

I'm thinking of going just claws and the pistol to be a standard multi purpose unit ,The pistols are cheap enough not to worry me big time but may serve me when jumping back and shooting a wee bit before charging in again ...hopefully:ermm: doing something !?...

anyways what does everyone else do?....

Cheers, Mithril 

I’ve ran 5 with the beamers and was very disappointed. The damage output is not worth the points cost. I feel the whip coils will be equally disappointing.

If you’ve got the points, the pistols may be worth it. We pay for a decent bs and the ability to shoot after falling back. However, you can shoot pistols while locked in cc, so the amount of time you fall back to shoot and then charge may be slim.

For me, I’m now running them bare bones. I feel I’m always strapped for points, and we have far superior shooting options competing for them.

I charge them up the board, distraction carnefex style. They’ve been high priority in my games, so they eat a lot of shooting.

I’ve also tried to run a flying cryptek with them to boost RP when I use the strat. But usually they outpace him, and they’re out of range when I actually need the +1 to RP.

I always run bare bones. Since most of our units are not very diverse in  terms of equipment to give, when I have 4 - 8 points left to spare I'll put some particle casters on a couple of them. I tried running Sautekh and transdimentional beamers for a while but was very unimpressed by their damage output.

Naked wraiths are the best wraiths in my experience 

I play them without any upgrades in a Novokh Outrider Detachment. None of the upgrades seem worth the points spent in my lists. Never bothered trying to keep an HQ up with them since all the options I have serve more effectively elsewhere in my lists. In that regard I try to keep aura buffs close by to units that can always benefit to them.

As others have said, bare bones with just viscious claws is solid for wraiths - the guns make them too expensive.

I really like the Novokh dynasty for them, which allows re-rolls to hit, and a fight twice strategem. Deadly.

Nephrekh isn't terrible - making wraiths have a 30 inch threat range, but Novokh wraiths are nearly as fast, get re-rolls, and can fight twice.

Archived