DW Terminators

Delta.Skies

The question is: Is there anything in that unit that would make me fire anything other than bolters/high volume weapons at it?  Storm Shields just make it even less likely that I will waste important shots on that unit since I know exactly where they are going to go. 

However, add in 1-2 terminators? Now it is taking 4 times as many bolter shots to remove 1 storm bolter of output.

I would add 1-2 terminators and 1 bike, drop the two vets with lance/melta to just storm bolter. Melta is not gonna be in half range on deep strike so its kinda "meh". 

If you want to keep the power weapons than it drives up the terminators value even higher.

So something like:

SGT Storm/power weapon(Might as well do Xenophase since its awesome for an extra 3 points)

Black Shield: Power/Storm Shield

1 VV: ChainX2(cant take storm bolter)

2x Veteran:Storm Bolter

2x Veteran Storm/Storm

2x Terminator - Storm/Power Weapon

1x Bike - Teleport homer

If you saw that unit, what is the optimal weapons to fire at them? There is none units models start to die off. 

The question is: Is there anything in that unit that would make me fire anything other than bolters/high volume weapons at it?  Storm Shields just make it even less likely that I will waste important shots on that unit since I know exactly where they are going to go. 

However, add in 1-2 terminators? Now it is taking 4 times as many bolter shots to remove 1 storm bolter of output.

I would add 1-2 terminators and 1 bike, drop the two vets with lance/melta to just storm bolter. Melta is not gonna be in half range on deep strike so its kinda "meh". 

If you want to keep the power weapons than it drives up the terminators value even higher.

So something like:

SGT Storm/power weapon(Might as well do Xenophase since its awesome for an extra 3 points)

Black Shield: Power/Storm Shield

1 VV: ChainX2(cant take storm bolter)

2x Veteran:Storm Bolter

2x Veteran Storm/Storm

2x Terminator - Storm/Power Weapon

1x Bike - Teleport homer

If you saw that unit, what is the optimal weapons to fire at them? There is none units models start to die off. 

Minor error on the vanguard it was to be bolt pistol. And i take it, stat wise with special issue its putting out more damage than melta? Units purpose is to really go after multi wound units / vehicles. I have plenty of other units that can handle hordes and what not. But if possible can you share your reason to choose more stormbolters over melta in this situation?

Meltas are not gonna be in range on the drop. Either you have killed most of them the turn you drop, or you gonna get killed. Basically I just don’t see the point when, as an army, we are balanced around special issue ammo, to not take it. Finally two meltas is not going to reliably kill a vehicle, if you are taking something to hunt armor you need to know that it is gonna get the kill. Maiming is not really gonna do anything for you. Two meltas won’t even reliably kill a rhino on the drop.

feel like either have a unit for deathwatch specialize in one area, bring a few things that can deal with heavy vehicles. And then play the mission.

Meltas are not gonna be in range on the drop. Either you have killed most of them the turn you drop, or you gonna get killed. Basically I just don’t see the point when, as an army, we are balanced around special issue ammo, to not take it. Finally two meltas is not going to reliably kill a vehicle, if you are taking something to hunt armor you need to know that it is gonna get the kill. Maiming is not really gonna do anything for you. Two meltas won’t even reliably kill a rhino on the drop.

feel like either have a unit for deathwatch specialize in one area, bring a few things that can deal with heavy vehicles. And then play the mission.

Appreciate the insight. I do have two razorback w laz cannon, 1 leman russ and a tank commander, though he has a punisher gatling cannon. And I guess will free up some space for these terminators

• 1 month later...

Since everyone already knows how uncompetitive Terminator Squads are, let's hear some ideas on setups and corresponding tactics you're toying with or have had experience using. I'll start with a few:

1) 5x Terminators, all with Storm Bolters and Power Axes = 200pts

This is one of the cheapest possible setups, and is meant to be used as a counter attack drop, probably on Turn 3. It's not going to singlehandedly smash anything, but it's not meant to. Frequently we make every unit specialized for a particular role, but I think having a few general support units has merits.. Think about it like a Twin LC Venerable Dreadnought.

2) 5 Terminators, TH/SS, Storm Bolter/Power Sword, 3x Storm Bolter/Meltafist = 284pts

This one is a little more cut and dry; they drop with a melta captain and try to slag whatever big nasty thing they can find. They are bound to draw more bullets so they have an ablative storm shield guy and cheap barebones guy to try to help their cause.

Since everyone already knows how uncompetitive Terminator Squads are, let's hear some ideas on setups and corresponding tactics you're toying with or have had experience using. I'll start with a few:

1) 5x Terminators, all with Storm Bolters and Power Axes = 200pts

This is one of the cheapest possible setups, and is meant to be used as a counter attack drop, probably on Turn 3. It's not going to singlehandedly smash anything, but it's not meant to. Frequently we make every unit specialized for a particular role, but I think having a few general support units has merits.. Think about it like a Twin LC Venerable Dreadnought.

2) 5 Terminators, TH/SS, Storm Bolter/Power Sword, 3x Storm Bolter/Meltafist = 284pts

This one is a little more cut and dry; they drop with a melta captain and try to slag whatever big nasty thing they can find. They are bound to draw more bullets so they have an ablative storm shield guy and cheap barebones guy to try to help their cause.

Not a bad idea with the axes and storm bolter route. I see chaos space marine players use this combo with their termies and they seem to do alright. 

Archived