Inferno

So their latest contest was not about filling their first Inferno output. Maybe future ones.

Still eager to hear about the outcome of the contest.

The line-up looks interesting.

What exactly is Warhammer Chronicles? Never heard of it before.

I asked Josh via Twitter about the two Chronicles stories, and they both turn out to be pre-End Times stories. As in, written before The End Times happened. One is a Zavant story I'm very much looking forward to since Josh's Zavant was great, and the other is Heinrich Kemmler & Krell, which was supposed to test the waters for a possible K&K trilogy. Which obviously never happened due to the End Times and AoS.

I'm looking forward to picking this one up. Lots of new faces, along with some old ones. Hopefully it does well enough to turn Inferno into a mainstay anthology format similar to what Hammer & Bolter attempted, but in print with more meat to it. Hammer & Bolter's two omnibuses are on my shelf and I like them a good deal, but 700 or so page omnibuses with the smaller font size and dozens of stories are a grind to read through in my experience. I'd rather buy a semi-regular 400 pager with the usual TPB fonts and a healthy mix from across the lines.

The chronicles I found particularly exciting. Really glad to see new material coming out that’s set in the old world.

Mercy by Danie Ware is another I can’t wait to read. I read an interview with Danie and she sounds amazing.

Disappointed it’s been sullied by having Annandale in there. Hopefully not a bench mark they are asking new authors to aspire to.

I added some clarification to my post above. Neither of the Chronicles stories are newly commissioned or written, but have been lying in the office drawer since before the End Times happened. So best not get your hopes up for this becoming a thing. Seems more like they're trying to get out what they already commissioned and paid for back in the day but never got around to publishing.

Don't worry, I realized I hadn't expressed it clearly enough. It was easy to interpret as just in terms of setting/timeline, rather than production time.

I really hope we'll be getting some snippets, even if just one-liners, to each story before long, via Warhammer Community. Maybe some interviews with the new authors would be good too.

Author interviews surely must be a given.

I’m wondering the amount of art that will accompany the stories. A magazine type format I think will demand a fair amount of story related art.

Pretty sure I will be subscribing to the first year regardless.

while I also hope there is plenty of interior art to accompany the stories, I'm not sure if they will go that way if Inferno is a recurring anthology rather than a magazine like the original incarnation. Let's hope I'm wrong on this.

It is great to see so many new authors. Be interesting to know how these came about (as clearly not from the latest submission window). I know some are already published and just new to BL but not sure about others?

I was under the impression this is a book not a magazine style so trade paperback style. As such I expect this to be a straightforward anthology rather than also include comic strips and art.

Assuming #1 is a success I wonder how frequently they intend to release these. Would be great if it was quite regular and opened up the opportunity to "test out" a larger number of budding/debut authors (although of course the quality needs to be maintained).

Would also love to see serialised stories appearing (from a marketing POV that makes perfect sense).

Also would love it if BL used these to "train" new authors and give them time to develop their craft over a number of shorts building them up towards taking on a novel.

I'd love serialized stories, but more in the form of stories that build on one another but are basically complete on their own, bar the potential two-parter/novella.

Definitely not the thing they tried with Hammer & Bolter where they just published entire novels in 12 parts (Phalanx, then Gilead's Curse iirc?). Missing one volume there is going to be a pain and an irregular release schedule would be a killer to that too. Serialized stories with established characters at the core, think Sherlock Holmes or the likes, with new stories every time, would be awesome though.

@DC I agree I don't want them to serialise a future expected novel. I meant something specifically written as a serial story (which could end up as a novel I guess but not the original intent). So no I don't want to see a busy anticipated Horus Heresy get released in monthly parts.

I like the idea of a series of linked short stories that standalone very much indeed. Something that builds up to create a greater whole.

I mean, to point at one of the stories included, the Zavant one from Josh, that'd have been precisely the kind of thing that'd have been able to fill that role. Josh has written a couple of other Zavant stories before, and they all stand alone (even separate from the ancient Zavant novel from Gordon Rennie (iirc)), as enjoyable pieces. Those are basically the WHFB Holmes & Watson. Readers would get familiar with those characters quickly and find enjoyment in their exploits for both the mystery and the comedy.

Looking at Josh's Royal Occultist stories, I think he'd actually be perfect for this kind of serial. Have him do a 40k or AoS thing, whichever he likes best and has ideas for, and then have him go wild with all those weird ideas he's got. For 40k it would also allow exploration of more civilian stories, since frankly, Space Marine stories wouldn't lend themselves to this stuff as easily. Maybe something Inquisition, since he's got a thing for investigators of the occult.

In general I think Inferno could be *the* platform for authors to work outside the box. Since they're in an anthology format, they can make up for one another's risks in storytelling much more easily. I think even Peter Fehervari would be a good pick for this stuff, since he fills the more advanced, complex niche of BL fiction, and Inferno should, at it's best, feature stories of the various levels of complexity and themes, as well as settings. You can have the more conventional action pieces as well as more experimental stuff that may not even get the attention it deserves when published as a monday short.

Honestly, Inferno is something I very much want to see succeeding as a vehicle for new and old authors and some neat surprises.

Personally I’m not a fan of serialised stories. I read so many different books I tend to have forgotten the details of any serialised story and have to reread before each instalment. But that’s my own personal memory problem.

I would rather see the experimental stories delivered in a short format. This will also give me access to all those e-shorts I don’t read

Totally agree with you on serialized stuff!

Really eager to read Inferno and I'm hoping that it will establish itself as a decent platform for new authors (hopefully Fraters of the BnC ;) )

Personally I’m not a fan of serialised stories. I read so many different books I tend to have forgotten the details of any serialised story and have to reread before each instalment. But that’s my own personal memory problem.

I would rather see the experimental stories delivered in a short format. This will also give me access to all those e-shorts I don’t read

I mean, the serial stories in the vain of Sherlock Holmes expressly *don't* need you to go back and re-read because they all stand alone but feature the same characters and similar format. That's kind of the point, being familiar while also new material that people can pick up on a whim without feeling like they're out of the loop, like with a serialized novel.

• 3 months later...

Archived