Odd Residue Left After Using Wash and Glazes!?!

I have run into a problem that has occurred several different times now and I hope someone may know why it is happening and may be able to help prevent it from happening again in the future. I was working on some tactical marines that had been airbrushed and base coated and were ready for some glaze. I applied the glaze(GW blue) and when I picked up some of the miniatures to see if they were dry I noticed a whitish grey residue had built up in some of the recesses and on some panels. I had this happen on another model recently and I had no idea why it was happening. It was GW wash that I applied last time and that was one difference to note.

I considered the process for each of the times it happened and realized several things worth mentioning that may or may not be important. I used Vallejo metal color on the items that had residue build up on them. I also used flow improver on them too. I also mixed water from the tap into the glaze and washes and noted the glaze was quite thin on the parts that had the most residue. Like I said, these are observations that may or MAY NOT have any bearing on the outcome. I use the same water all of the time to thin my paints for example. So, consider this factor when weighing the possibilities.

I am stumped as to why this is happening and the residue is hard to remove some times. I use a very wet brush to try to wick it away. This results in varying levels of success but most of the residue is removed after several tries.

I am hoping some of our more experienced and knowledgeable comrades may know what is happening or may know how to prevent and fix it when it occurs. I bet some have had this problem and know more on the subject than I do. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and for any help you may provide.

Sounds like contamination of the water jar transferred to the glaze. Most acrylic metals use micro aluminium flakes I believe, which hang around in water pots which can easily contaminate brushes used for other colours. Another possibility is talc, matt paints can leave the powdery matting agent at the bottom of the water jar when you rinse the brushes - I've noticed scale75 do this quite a lot as they are super matt paint so I have to clean the water pot more often than usual. Either could be the source of your grey residue.

Another possibility is you're in a very hard water area and its limescale from the tapwater itself, but that's something you'd normally notice pretty quickly - it affects soap lather, washing machines, kettles, all sorts. (I had to use deionised water for painting in one place I lived, the tap water was so hard it left chalky tide marks on everything)

Old school advice is to use two water jars; one for metallics, another for everything else. Or at least give the water jar a good rinse and scrub to get rid of residue after doing metallics, as well as the brushes of course.

I'd just give your brushes a good clean with brush soap (it's good for them  regardless!), clean your water jar thoroughly; and use a 2nd one for metallics or anything else you note leaving excessive loose residue in the jar. Empty, rinse, and fresh water ideally for each session or even mid session if it's getting gunky. Completely dried paint stains are fine on the jar, it's the loose sediment that can contaminate your paintwork you need to get rid off periodically, particularly if you end up hitting the bottom of the jar with your brush.

Flow improver shouldn't cause this problem, but just a warning to never lick the brush when you've used flow improver - some brands can be toxic if ingested. 

The only time this has ever happened to me was when I diluted my washes and glazes with water. I now dilute with Lhamian medium and the problem has not reoccurred.

I bought a gallon of distilled water for exactly this reason, which I keep in a glass dropper bottle. Solved the problem for the most part. The other thing I've ran into is that the medium part of GW washes seems to be heavier than the rest, and if I don't shake it thoroughly enough frequently enough by the time I get to the end of a pot I can run into that sort of issue.

I bought a gallon of distilled water for exactly this reason, which I keep in a glass dropper bottle. Solved the problem for the most part. The other thing I've ran into is that the medium part of GW washes seems to be heavier than the rest, and if I don't shake it thoroughly enough frequently enough by the time I get to the end of a pot I can run into that sort of issue.

I was wondering about the medium too because it seemed like the glaze was the most problematic when it seemed there was more medium at the bottom of the pallet. I also had a night where I left my nuln oil open overnight and it has changed its properties to a more concentrated and thick wash. It was that wash that I had the problem with the first two times I experienced this problem. I now have a new nuln oil that I am using and need to add something to the other bottle to try and regain the original viscosity and consistency.

With the glaze it was just like there was mostly medium left

and less blue pigment (Guilliman Blue glaze)and it was no longer like it was in the early part of the session. I think it has something to do with the medium and the water I use.

I am going to use fresh distilled water and see if this helps. I am also thinking that it may be wise to watch the medium in the glaze and washes more closely and use lahmian medium or glaze medium when I notice changes in the consistency and properties. I think this should help solve this problem based on what everyone here has shared with me.

Thank you my friends! I appreciate you taking the time to help me solve this problem. Cheers to all!

Update.... I accidentally stumbled onto a series of posts about this problem from the P3 forum while looking for information on another subject. I will provide the link and give a brief summary of what I learned here.

Apparently it has been clarified by GW that their washes(and glazes from my experience) have a tendency to fog or frost when mixed or thinned with water. According to the posts on this forum GW has stated that you should use lahmian medium instead of water to avoid the problem. This can be fixed by spraying or brushing acrylic clear coat over the area. I have not tried this remedy but this is what was discussed as a remedy in this thread. Other people said distilled water will work for thinning, just as they have here in this thread, and this should also work to prevent the problem from occurring.

You can read the full thread on the forum here, https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?164927-quot-Frosting-quot-on-minis-after-using-GW-washes-!

Or you can read the text only format here,

https://privateerpressforums.com/archive/index.php/t-164927.html

Tap water = Thins it and lowers coverage, and introduces who knows what into the mix.

Distilled water = Thins it and lowers coverage, theoretically, but probably ok if you're just replacing evaporated moisture.

Medium = Best option if it's dehydrated quite a bit, as it should keep coverage

Archived