New to Tau, looking for options on crisis suits

Altasmurf

Hey all, I've recently signed up for the greater good to take a break from my guard. I've been trying crisis suits (Yeah I know they're not hyper competitive) with 9 fusion blasters. And I've had pretty good success. I know prevailing wisdom is 3 cyclic ion guns, but I have found with AP-1 they don't do the damage I was hoping. Just wondering what do you guys equip them with, even if it's something wacky I'm curious to see some different load outs.

I love my Crisis with Flamer surrounded by a ton of Shield Drones and then advancing all over the board. Tho I admit it's probably not the most competetive thing to do. :P

Other than that I prefer Crisis with CIB (the mass of high S shots and multi-damage is what makes them good, not the AP) in a FSE detachment for the +1 to-hit Stratagem the turn they drop. The same thing with Burst Cannons works pretty well too (a unit of 3 with 3 BC each means an average of 28 S5 AP0 hits with the help of a single Markerlight and the FSE Stratagem).

AFP is pretty crappy.

Missiles are better on Broadsides.

Plasma is just a poor mans CIB these days.

Fusion Blaster is okay I guess but I already have my anti-tank sorted with HRR Broadsides, Stealth Suits and Piranha (I play mostly Sa'cea so I like to spread around single weapons across different units ;) )

Depends on what you need and to an extent what youre fighting.

CiB is generally the best, FB are good and potentially better against elite targets. Missiles are weaker overall but with the added range can be much more defensive (and can potentially DS in your deployment zone turn 1 and still be useful).

CiB loses some appeal against to hit penalties like eldar.

I find they can be somewhat competitve in a large unit with a cheap commander with a flamer and drone controller and the command & control node stratagem (plus FSE strat & markerlights)

If youre not getting the damage its probably the buffs you want more than the right weapon

Whatever you end up going with it is best to plan ahead and go down the magnets route. At least if the balance changes on the next FAQ/Codex it will be easy to swap them around.

I think when I do make a squad of 3, I think I'll kit everyone out with eitehr either x2 cyclonic ion blasters and x1 missle pods or swap the cyclonic for plasma

Thanks for the replies everyone. I do plan on magnatizing the suits, so no problem there. I guess one difference for me is that due to the high cost of the unit I don't really want to put more effort into buffing them. As for the damage they do, the fusions do fill a niche for means well as putting out awesome damage. I will be trying CiB again but I was curious if anyone else has found some different loadouts that work.

I guess one difference for me is that due to the high cost of the unit I don't really want to put more effort into buffing them.

That's how T'au as an army works tho. On their own our units don't do all that much but with Markerlight support etc. they can be devastating!

Sorry I should have phrased that better. For sure I utilize marker lights for the suits. But usually I don't utilize the command and control nodes, or other strats. Once again they have been pretty good for me so I'm not complaining.

Like I say I will be trying the CiB again, I'm even thinking about triple missile pods, but I figure I don't really need the extra range.

Does any one use any of the systems or is it always 3 weapons?

I guess one difference for me is that due to the high cost of the unit I don't really want to put more effort into buffing them.

That's how T'au as an army works tho. On their own our units don't do all that much but with Markerlight support etc. they can be devastating!
This. The high cost of the unit is what necessitates buffing them. Without it they range from sub optimal to completely unable to inflict damage (e.

g eldar -3 to hit penalties)

Archived