White Scars Renegades Project: Oblivion Hunters

Yeah, it just got a version two a few months back.

However, the new loyalist Marine codex reveals basically kind of made everything cool about the new codex terrible. :laugh.:

A Chaos Biker Gang is still a good stratagy though. Starved on command points unless you play them Red Corsairs from the Vigilus Ablaze book. They're really good in that.

Ohhh I've not heard of Vigilus Ablaze. I'll have to look into that. I can always use them "counts-as".

I do like the layout of the units though. I think people underestimate them. They are going to be great at clearing chaff so the big daemons can jump in and wreck the big stuff. Only think I'm still a little disappointed about is that I have no option for a Chaos Lord on Bike in the CSM codex. I have to use the index version which is rather plain. I suppose it isn't bad though as he is more of a bubble than anything else. The real hammer of the list is the Daemon Princes from Chaos Daemons codex.

Edit: Ahhh! The Red Cosairs from Vigilus Ablaze will work really really well! Unless there are any other restrictions that will give me 1 additional command point since I will not be running regular CSM squads. At least for now anyway. Thanks again for the suggestion!

Edit 2: Just read a review about Vigilus Ablaze. This is going to be perfect! Also, I will be looking into CSM squads eventually for a different play-style army. But I will be building the biker force first. Also, that index biker lord with the Red Cosairs relic gun is sweet! Super pumped about this! Thanks again for sharing it!

Edited by Aothaine

• 2 years later...

Looking forward to seeing him progress - I see you decided on white primer. :smile.:

I looks white right? It was Wraith Bone primer. I'm painting Grey seer over it and it is significantly more grey than white. I'm wondering if I should have just painted the white right over the Wraith Bone. But then what color would I use for edge highlighting..

med_gallery_69175_17322_104156.jpg

So I'm not entirely sure what to do here to reach the white. Perhaps I should not have primed in Wraith Bone? My eyes are old. But the Grey Seer looks significantly darker. Before I keep working on the model I think I'm going to prime a sprue with Wraith Bone tomorrow and do some edge highlighting with White scar and see how it looks. I don't have a Wraith Bone pot so it is going to be difficult to undo what I've already done without re-priming. Really wish I had that air brush right now. The coats look so much nicer than what I've ever achieved with cans. But we have to work with what we're given. Something else I've learned is that I almost like painting in glazes. I live in Las Vegas so it is super dry out here and the paint dries so fast. Perhaps I should look into a good wet pallet and learn how to use it. But I'm trying to get that smooth look that you see on professional models. I don't mind it if takes 4-5 thin coats. Just want to get a good process down so when I have more models to paint I can start chain-painting them to get them on the board faster.

Looked into this a bunch and jumped around from Grey Seer primer and Corax White primer. Settled on Corax White.

Primer: Corax White / White Scar (Air)

Contrast: Apothecary White + Lajmian Medium

Dry Brush: Praxeti White

In about 3 months I'll be able to afford my air brush kit. So I'm going to hold off on the can primer as I've never liked using White can primer. It always comes out with stuff in it, little moth balls or something. I'll get this dude painted up using my brushes for testing. Going to Scar White him with a few thin coats then drop Apothecary White on him and dry brush with White scar. Should have a similar look. I'll take some photos with updates. Should be finishing the White re-primer tomorrow night after work.

Edited by Aothaine

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Wheeeww! Finished moving! Looking to get an airbrush by July. Really hoping I can get my Chaos Lord on a bike with the new codex! :D Supposedly we're getting new chaos bikers as well. Really looking forward to this. I'll continue to work on my beta test mini when I have some time and post updates when I can. 

Until then, be safe and have fun everyone!