Death Guard/Thousand Sons/Alpha Legion Army List 3k pts

Hey there, from the far reaches of AoS! Yep, I’m a new player to the 40k scene, and to be honest I have not the slightest clue what I’m doing. That’s fine, though, because I have toiled countless hours to attempt to synthesize at least the faintest notion of the army I wanted to play. I came up with three. The units in the list are represented by what is currently available to me, through friends or my FLGS, or whatever I decided to pick up and paint test. I’m willing to drop a salty buck on theme. I believe this is around 3,000 points, with no clue on command points, PL, or even if it’s legal or satisfies the conditions. These are the three ranges of models that really appeal to me, so there is no competitive edge to the list I am creating. I would only really play my roommate or some randos at the FLGS, and at that not very often. I would, however, want to play games with this magnificent gumbo of minis. So, without further ado, here is THE XXth RUBRIC GUARD (woo!)

XXth Rubric Guard

Thousand Sons

Rubric Marines x7 3xWarpflamer

Rubric marines x5 2xSoulreaper +whatever bonuses are available

Ahriman on Disc

Scarab Occult Terminators x5 (will add in later, ordered from FLGS.)

XXth Alpha Legion

Alpha Terminators x5

Alpha Recon Squad x5

XXth Dreadnought (beautiful)

Armillus Dynat - 200

Death Guard

Mortarion the Reaper

Plague Marines x10

Plague Marines x5

Plaguereaper (Baneblade Conversion, see below.)

Blightlord Terminators x5

Vindicator Plagueburst Crawler Proxy

~2,949 pts

So, what vile acts of heresy have I created? And I know that there are some 30k fellas in here, but if I’m not mistaken I’m pretty sure they have 40k rules too. If not, proxy, my friends. Also, the elephant in the room, there is a Plaguereaper of all things. Of course this is probably not tournament legal, and is a “Lord of War” whatever that means. Like I said, these are just what I have and the coolest boys on the market, so while competitiveness is a concern, it is by no means going to make me resist slurping up that Mortarion mini. So. I’m sorry that I’ve indefinitely done something pathetically wrong, but I trust you kind chaps to help me out there—right?

Thanks for taking a look, I really appreciate it.

—Sandwich

Generally you want 2 hq and 3 troops from each sub faction.

The little mortarion would have to proxy for a small DG character, the 40k moetarion is a very different animal.

Several things would need to be proxied.

Tactically its pretty weak, 40k tends to be about min maxing now.

Soulreapers are only available to 10 man rubric squads with T-Sons. CSM Rubrics can take them in 5 man squads, but only get Smite instead of the Discipline of Change.

If you drop Ahriman you could run the Rubrics with SRC in your Alpha Legion though.

Lol thanks. It was just kind of a mishmash of whatever I thought looked cool, I haven’t ordered anything I don’t want. Is there any way to make a nice list out of these factions? Despite the fact that I won’t be playing that often, I want a tactically realistic list, not like winning every game, but just the possibility to win.

All three factions have viable options, tends to be that 3+ marine & 2+ terminator type units are not top tier, but they can be ok.

As a starting point id suggest daemon princes, particularly the TS one

You could also start with just an alpha legion list (which can include the rubrics and plague marines). Thatd probably be easier to begin

Rules wise,these are the 3 most popular Legions. But you may not like to purchase the models of their most popular units.

Dang, thanks. Is there a specific forum topic or site, or even just some general advice you can provide me with to get started? They’re beautiful, and I think their lore is sick too, but I just want to get a solid army out there. I definitely need QUITE the pointers though.

Archived