Merciless Logic: Best Use?

For Warlord Traits, I've been using Storm of Fire and Iron Resolve; in most cases, my Warlord carries a hammer & shield so the Chapter specific trait Merciless Logic does me no good. In the interest of brainstorming, how would you gear a Warlord to take advantage of it? The most Dakota I can come up with is a stormbolter and power fist with wrist launcher -- max of seven shots -- but then you lose out on close combat chances to use it. Taking the relic axe, relic sword, or a generic relic blade all give decent CC stats without a hit penalty, though you can't take the axe with a Terminator Captain (my preferred option) and as a codex we're not particularly vaunted at melee anyway.

It's quite the predicament. Any ideas? Anyone actually use Merciless Logic and if so, what was your opinion on its utility?

I think you may as well make the most of it and go full choppy. A few extra shots pinging around is ok, but as my Captain is usually busy handling enemy combat units etc and the extra hits will count for more with a suitable CC weapon. My dual lightning claw CSM Lord can muster some serious attacks sometimes with DttFE, lets him blend through most units capably so that'd be my preferred build for more chances and a pretty reliable throughput.

All that said I don't use it because I prefer something more passive/reliable and don't have a LC Captain (yet?), so while it's not a bad trait others usually pip it.

Speaking of DTTFE, codex Marines can steal that ability in reverse through the Death to the Traitors stratagem. Would you double up on exploding 6s in this situation? I play a lot of Death Guard where I'm at so...

Pre-FAQ I'd say go with the Iron Resolve trait. Now that we can't stack rolls, or use them to buff them, I'd say now go for Storm of Fire. Merciless logic is good pretty much only on the LR Excelcior with all its guns and a Rhino primaris to buff it. You could maybe get lucky with the exploding 6+'s, or double exploding 6+'s, but without buffs to your hit rolls I'd say its not so good.

What I'm doing nowadays is rolling for my trait. On a CC captain, though, I'd say go for the buff against characters, or whatever synergizes with the army (i.e. if you have Ld debuffs, get the Ld debuff trait).

Hope that helps.

Wouldn't Primarch's Wrath or Teeth of Terra be solid pairings with Merciless Logic. A stronger Storm Bolter with more potential shots, or the extra attacks from the Chainsword giving you more potential attacks.

• 1 month later...

Archived