Image request: Best battlefield you've fought over

apologist

What's the best battlefield you've ever fought over?

+++

I'd like to collect examples of good battlefield layout (photograph, sketch or illustration) together and create a mini-supplement that players can use to guide their own terrain placement. 

Ideally, I'd like:
  • A clear picture of the battlefield, showing where the scenery lies (ideally overhead, and without miniatures, but I'll take what I can!);
  • A note of the game system you used (e.g. 40k 8th edition);
  • A description or overlay of suggested deployment zones;
  • Any information on the rules (if any) you used for certain terrain pieces;
  • A brief blurb on why the scenery made for a good game.
Thanks in advance!

+++

Good example:

Rynn's World – Battle for the Farm

v.jpg

Game system: 40k 8th edition

Deployment: One army must deploy entirely within the confines of the Farm; the other must deploy within 12in of the opposite long edge.

Special terrain rules: None

Terrain notes:  
  • We treated the woods on the left as an area of 'Area terrain', extending between the outermost points of the individual tree models.
  • We treated the woods on the right as an area of 'Area terrain', extending between the outermost points of the individual tree models, or following the line of the hedge. 
  • The low walls of the Farm provided +1 Sv for any models whose base touched it, and if the wall was between the firer and the target model.
  • The farm buildings provided +1 Sv for any model whose base was touching any part of the Farm's base.

+++

Not so useful example:

Outskirts of the Emperor's Palace, Terra

10.jpg

+++

The latter example is probably a nicer picture (and a more interesting terrain set-up), but it's hard to see where things are, and there's no clarification on what things counted as. Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted to receive anything (all grist to the mill), but if you can tell me the specifics of why it worked well and helped give a good game, that'd be fantastic.

IMG_20180403_165451030.jpg

I totally read that after. So the above is not a useful example. However it's neat looking.

Terrain notes : The gates were used by rolling on a D6 to warp your infantry units to a random gate.. they would then disembark using the disembark rules for standard vehicles.

You need floating ruins and gates of some kind. 6 in total. Put a marker for 1to 6 on each gate. Roll and you step through the gate your D6 lands on.

I don’t have a picture, but the absolute best battle I ever fought was on a table at Baltimore Games Day, back around 2001 or 2003.

The table put Black Templars against World Eaters. There was a river cutting through the middle of the table longways, forming a river valley that ran up to each player’s long edge deployment zone. Sitting along the edges of the river were trench lines and bunkers, and a road ran from each player’s zone to around the center of the board. A bridge crossed the river, and had a few buildings around it.

My Templar infantry clashed with the Berzerkers across the river, with them trying to storm up and over the sandbag redoubts. Meanwhile, my armor column pushed down the road into the village and a large engagement occurred by the bridge.

I’ve always looked for pictures of this board, and I even tried to recreate it myself long ago, but it will never do justice. Maybe someone else here fought over the same table.

Archived