Gallant Appreciation and Shenanigans

Nah, I don't think it's ever wrong to run anything as Taranis really. There's no situation where that Tradition isn't beneficial. That said, you could certainly make a case for many of the others on a Gallant - several increase it's killing power quite impressively.

Hawkshroud would be good for any Knights, same as Taranis. Armigers won't degrade until they hit 3 wounds left. Castellans won't until they hit 7 wounds! That's 21 ablative wounds! It's crazy.

I think I've been convinced to build up the last Knight in my second Renegade box as a Gallant.  So one quick question: carapace weapon, yay or nay?  Assuming yes, what is the best choice?  I feel like AA isn't necessary with Helverins/Allied Detachments in the mix so the Icarus Autocannon is out, but I'm leaning toward the Stormspear to augment the Gallant's AT potential.  Does this defeat the purpose of keeping him cheap?

I think I've been convinced to build up the last Knight in my second Renegade box as a Gallant.  So one quick question: carapace weapon, yay or nay?  Assuming yes, what is the best choice?  I feel like AA isn't necessary with Helverins/Allied Detachments in the mix so the Icarus Autocannon is out, but I'm leaning toward the Stormspear to augment the Gallant's AT potential.  Does this defeat the purpose of keeping him cheap?

I tend to think Carapace weapons are really only worth taking if you have points left over. None of them are really game changing in any way, so you don't really want points spent there when it could be placed somewhere more useful.

If you do have the spare points, the Stormspear is always objectively the best of the bunch in terms of simple, raw, effectiveness.

To me, you want the Gallant in combat, and while, like all Knights, he can move in and out freely - when are you really going to get to shoot that expensive rocket launcher? If you advance, you won't be able to shoot (unless Raven) and then will go full tilt into combat.

HOWEVER, like Stray says, spare points happen and it could come in handy - plus carapace weapons really round out the look of Knights.

It is a crime against hobby not to magnetize Imperial Knight. And especially it's carapace weapon. It is so easy and convenient I can not even imagine a reason not to do it. Keep all options and your Knight will never become obsolete.

A Gallant will often want to be Advancing (especially with Landstrider) so extra weapons will be among the lowest priority for him.

Magnetise the Knight (always magnetise :wink: ) and put on a carapace weapon if you have nothing better to spend the points on. However don't skimp on your other units to afford it as most other Knights can make better use of a carapace weapon than a Gallant.

The carapace weapons are extremely easy to magnetize - no drilling needed at all.

I also bring the stormspear if I have points but I like the utility of ironstorm because it's the only option that adds a new function to knights. Stormspear hits hard but so does every weapon we have. Autocannon has always underwhelmed.

I just picked up the Renegade box yesterday and am starting my IK army.

Also sold on the Gallant because...he just looks so damned cool. Fist and Chainsword. Yes please.

But for Carapace, I do like the LOS Ironstorm missile the best. Not saying I will put them on Gallant, but I do like them the most out of the carapace weapons, both visually and to increase my tactical options..and it's only 16 points, man!

Admittedly, though the weapon isn't great itself, I too quite like the indirect fire capability on the missile launcher. I kinda wish it'd gotten a relic upgrade.

Mind you, I still feel that indirect fire would a wonderful upgrade for the RFBC. It'd give it some use in a list that can't just be handled better by one of it's contemporaries.

Gallant. I see we'll use the fist to punch stuff or choke stuff, especially with the relic fist. Feet, I see the stumpy attacks as probably being my basic attack mode.

What about the chain arm? Will I use that ever?

I'm also making a gallant from my renegade box.

Gallant. I see we'll use the fist to punch stuff or choke stuff, especially with the relic fist. Feet, I see the stumpy attacks as probably being my basic attack mode.

The Relic Reaper is actually excellent. It's not the Paragon Gauntlet, but it remains a superb weapon. If you have a pair of Gallants, it's worth serious consideration giving one the relic fist, the other the relic Reaper.

Ravager, the relic Reaper, will out damage an ordinary Gauntlet vs all targets. (And you can still death grip afterward).

The vanilla Reaper is also actually your best option vs a few targets out there - it does a better job than feet or gauntlet vs Crisis suits for example. A lot of toughness 7 targets like Rhino's it's slightly more consistent against too.

Admittedly, though the weapon isn't great itself, I too quite like the indirect fire capability on the missile launcher. I kinda wish it'd gotten a relic upgrade.

Mind you, I still feel that indirect fire would a wonderful upgrade for the RFBC. It'd give it some use in a list that can't just be handled better by one of it's contemporaries.

Not trying to derail the thread but I'm going to suggest that as a house rule to my group. That's a great way of making the rfbc worth its point cost.

Back on topic, Ive decided against a gallant for now. I know everyone says magnetize, but beyond carpace weapons I like my models to be set in what they are. If just an excuse to buy more later. If I acquire another questoris, that will become a freeblade gallant

In addition to what Stray already said, having that chainsword also helps a lot when you have to deal with hordes and bunched up enemies, thanks to the Chainsweep stratagem: stomp 'em with your 15 stompy stomp attacks, then spend 1CP to roll for every remaining model within 3" - on a 6, that model's unit suffers a mortal wound. Depending on the situation, that is a lot of potential for extra damage.

The basic Reaper does not have the -1 to Hit penalty so against targets of T7 or below, will likely be better than the Gauntlet. Granted if you take the Paragon Gauntlet you will likely never need the Reaper but given the damage output of the Gallant in melee, I think the Paragon will be overkill unless you know you are facing enemy super-heavies.

I would rather take the Sanctuary Relic to provide a 5++ in close combat.

This is what I was thinking, too.  I had considered the 2+ Save (Armour of Sanctified Ion?) but since high AP will be the biggest scare in melee the 5++ seems wiser.

I'll definitely be magnetizing the carapace options for my Knights, but otherwise I just leave the arms unglued since they're so easy to swap anyway :P

Gallant and the Carapace Weapon: Depends entirely on what House you are playing. I play Raven, so I might as well take it. A Stormspear Rocket Pod is always helpful and more dakka if you're playing pure Knights is always helpful.

This is what I was thinking, too.  I had considered the 2+ Save (Armour of Sanctified Ion?) but since high AP will be the biggest scare in melee the 5++ seems wiser.

I'll definitely be magnetizing the carapace options for my Knights, but otherwise I just leave the arms unglued since they're so easy to swap anyway :tongue.:

The problem with not magnetizing the arms at the 'elbow' is that it's impossible to remove them (with weapons attached) once you glue on the shoulder pads - the weapon is too bulky to turn the shoulder all the way to unlock position. I ran into that problem with my first knight once I got a second one with all the weapon options, and I ended up sawing off the (fully-painted :unsure.:) weapon arms and magnetizing them after all.

I'm still very drawn to the Paragon Gauntlet - the combination of no -1 and enough D to literally one-shot a Stompa or several bunched-up tanks at once is just too good to pass up. Yes, the 5++ in melee is nice to have, but in my mind, the Gallant is meant to deal maximum havoc, survival is secondary.

This is what I was thinking, too. I had considered the 2+ Save (Armour of Sanctified Ion?) but since high AP will be the biggest scare in melee the 5++ seems wiser.

AotSI is exactly the same as Sanctuary vs AP-3 (better vs -1/2, and worse vs -4).

AP-4+ is pretty rare, especially so for melee attacks, so I'd highly recommend the AotSI over Sanctuary, as it increases survivability against weaker attacks where Sanctuary does nothing vs AP-1/2.

This is what I was thinking, too. I had considered the 2+ Save (Armour of Sanctified Ion?) but since high AP will be the biggest scare in melee the 5++ seems wiser.

AotSI is exactly the same as Sanctuary vs AP-3 (better vs -1/2, and worse vs -4).

AP-4+ is pretty rare, especially so for melee attacks, so I'd highly recommend the AotSI over Sanctuary, as it increases survivability against weaker attacks where Sanctuary does nothing vs AP-1/2.

There's rotate to consider with Sanctuary too though.

But still, all good points and worth considering.

AotSI also provides protection against shooting and helps prevent death by a thousand bolter rounds. It really does depend on what you face. Against other superheavies (especially Knights, Primarchs etc) Sanctuary probably wins out. Otherwise AotSI might be a better all-rounder.

I took a gallant to a 50 PL shindig this last weekend and it served me very well. I gave it the rockets and tried out judgement twice, so I can also attest to that relic’s effectiveness. All in all, I don’t picture taking knights without at least one relic. I want to try a full gallant lance.

Archived