Gallant Appreciation and Shenanigans

I've got a list of 3 Gallants, 2 Helverins and 2 Warglaives. There's still about 250 points left over for a battery of some description. One Gallant with Landstrider and Sanctuary and another with Paragon Gauntlet and Seneschal. Run all 3 up the middle in a ball of death so you get the charge bonus. Talk about a sledgehammer to crack a nut!

Would anyone think two Armigers can stand up to a Gallant? Very similar points, the Gallant has slightly higher Melee capability, +1WS but the Armiger also gets D3 Lance attacks.

Gallant Ws2:

15x s8/-2/D3 or 5x s14/-3/6 or 5x 16/-4/6(-1 toHit)

Armiger Ws3 x2:

16x s6/-2/1 or 8x 12/-3/3

Plus D3 8/-4/D6

Would anyone think two Armigers can stand up to a Gallant? Very similar points, the Gallant has slightly higher Melee capability, +1WS but the Armiger also gets D3 Lance attacks.

Gallant Ws2:

15x s8/-2/D3 or 5x s14/-3/6 or 5x 16/-4/6(-1 toHit)

Armiger Ws3 x2:

16x s6/-2/1 or 8x 12/-3/3

Plus D3 8/-4/D6

If the dice are with you, anything is possibly. Lady luck though is exceptionally fickle, so I figure it's best to always prepare for her to intervene, but don't rely on it.

We can simulate how a fight like this will go generally, using the average performance of each of the units involved.

Note, how things seem on paper, are very different to how things work in practice. It's a mistake to think that the Gallants melee capability is only slightly higher than the Warglaives here - it's substantially higher:

Let's give the advantage to the Warglaives in this scenario, we'll assume they get the charge, and also that they were able to fire at the Gallant before charging.

On average, two Warglaives will put out a combined 3 wounds against a Gallant using the Thermal Lances. When they attack in CC they'll put out roughly an additional 9 average wounds assuming they are wise enough to use Chain Strike. 11 Wounds total, and not nearly enough to put down the Gallant. Now it gets to strike back.

The Gallant - assuming it has no relics (you're very likely to see them with either Ravager, or the Paragon Gauntlet in reality) will now deal 17 wounds to one of the Armigers. It can now throw that Armiger at the other for some free mortal wounds with a 50% chance of success. It may also death grip at this point doing D3 mortals, plus another D3 everytime the Warglaive fails it's roll (Str 8 vs Str 6). It's likely the second Warglaive would survive the combat, but it'll do so banged up.

If the Gallant had been armed with the Paragon Gauntlet (and if it's the only Gallant your opponent has, it almost certainly would be) it would have dealt 28 wounds on average, enough to kill both Warglaives in one combat round...

So the Warglaives can certainly hurt a Gallant. But the chances of them coming out alive and with a kill? Very very slim.

Hmm, what if you gave the Warglaives an MG?  Would that tip the scales?

I think at this point the biggest argument for Warglaives is that they NOW count for SHD and do so at half the cost of a Gallant.  I'm considering pairing two of them up with said Gallant under House Raven as a mad rush Detachment to balance out the shootier Crusaders/Wardens/Helverins.

I was thinking the same Vel'Cona, I have two Forgebane Armigers I really want to use. I can either field 2 Armigers or another Gallant but now that the armigers would give me another 3cp too... Not sure.

Oh and gratz Stray on Renegade rules :)? I think it was you that wanted some new ones.

I was thinking the same Vel'Cona, I have two Forgebane Armigers I really want to use. I can either field 2 Armigers or another Gallant but now that the armigers would give me another 3cp too... Not sure.

Oh and gratz Stray on Renegade rules :smile.:? I think it was you that wanted some new ones.

Yeah! Cheers buddy! I'm stoked they handled that so quickly. We've not quite the options that our Imperial Counterparts have, but that's fine - it's more important to just have everything functional for me, so it's great news! Good 'ol GW eh?

Yeah! Cheers buddy! I'm stoked they handled that so quickly. We've not quite the options that our Imperial Counterparts have, but that's fine - it's more important to just have everything functional for me, so it's great news! Good 'ol GW eh?

Although Renegade Knights can dual wield ranged weapons! Twin Avengers, Thermal Cannons and RFBCs!

I was thinking about dipping into some Knights, but now I may have to turn Renegade!

Although Renegade Knights can dual wield ranged weapons! Twin Avengers, Thermal Cannons and RFBCs!

I was thinking about dipping into some Knights, but now I may have to turn Renegade!

Twin Avengers are pretty great, but I've never been too worried about the other options really. It's quite a hit to miss out on Traditions, Paragon Gauntlet, Death Grip etc.

Still, I think some of the best aspects of playing Renegades are what you can do with supporting units. Hellwrights are SUPERB for example, far more useful than some of their Imperial Counterparts. Access to some of the Chaos Psyonics - Death Hex for example (Hello, you! You no longer have an invulnerable save k?) is also amazingly useful. There are some very interesting units that you can bring in as 'retainers' that don't have an equivalent among the corpse worshipers :P

I think the Gallants need an armiger to 'fill out' the detachment to get their 3 points. And it will only be 3 points, same as the 1 Gallant and 2 Armiger. To get 6 points, it needs to be 3 Gallants (or titanic knights rather)

Think of it as 3 Big knights means one of the knights is a knight commander, some kind of higher up knight. A lone Gallant is just a standard knight with his linked Armiger attack dogs. 2 gallants... is just two equal knights none with 'command' above the other. A gallant + a gallant + Armiger. Is not too different from the lone gallant + Armiger. 

Or something like that.

Out of curiosity, does Renegade have enough weapon bits to make two Gallants? I know you can build one from it, but are their enough swords and fists for two? Asking for a friend (that friend being my Gallant, Simikiel).

Sadly no. Renegade allows you to build two Paladins or Errants but only has the necessary sprues to build one Knight as a Crusader, Gallant or Warden. There's only one Gauntlet in the box.

So I was thinking of picking up 2 boxes of renegade and one box of armigers, would that be enough to field 1 of each possible knight (obviously only 4 at a time) or would I need an extra weapon somewhere?

Just realised 2 Gallants gives the same CP as 1 Gallant and two Armigers?

No. Two slots filled grants you nothing. You need 3 slots filled, at least one by a Titanic knight, to get 3 CP. 1 Gallant and 2 Armigers or 2 Gallants and 1 Armiger would grant 3 CP.

3 Gallants, however, would grant you 6 CP.

So I was thinking of picking up 2 boxes of renegade and one box of armigers, would that be enough to field 1 of each possible knight (obviously only 4 at a time) or would I need an extra weapon somewhere?

Off the top of my head, 2 boxes of Renegade would give you following weapon options.

4 x Battle Cannon OR Thermal Cannon (since the same bits are used for each).

4 x Reaper Chainswords

2 x Avengers

2 x Gauntlets

2 x Carapace missile Launchers

2 x Carapace Autocannons

The different five flavours of Knight are, Errant, Paladin, Warden, Crusader and Gallant.

You can build 4 different Knights easily but you would only be able to build and maximum of 2 Galants (limited by Gauntlets) and 2 of either Warden or Crusader (limited by Avengers). Magnets are your friends!

The Armiger boxes give you either a pair of Helverins or a pair of Warglaives depending on which box you buy. The boxes do not contain the parts for the other variants.

Hope this helps.

Gallant Kill Count from the Weekend:

• T'au Y'Vahra Battlesuit
  • Tank Commander
  • Minotaur
  • 16 Wounds from an enemy Knight (stupid 1/2/3s always fail to wound relic...)
  • A fair few Skitarii from explosions
  • 2 Custodes Jetbikes

Then a few wounds on other bits and bobs.

Not a bad showing, Game 4 it was purely a fire magnet (literally down to the last wound!), which in hind sight means I probably should've thrown it in anyway, but instead used Full Tilt to charge an Armiger into a Forgefiend turn 1 to stop it blasting our infantry apart. Game 5 it only really had the bikes as a target and had to survive two full turns of shooting to get anywhere decent. Re-rolling Heavy Hellblasters with 3 Damage are painful.

Also the look on someones face when you tell them the Fist does 8 Damage is PRICELESS.

4 x Battle Cannon OR Thermal Cannon (since the same bits are used for each).

... or both, just not at the same time :smile.:

42966002872_468c30bddb_h.jpg

41205709960_984ac53bbb_h.jpg

Did you also magnetize the ammo hopper on the side? I've been looking into magnetizing knights for this very reason. The arms and carapace weapons are easy but that thermal/battle cannon looks annoying

Did you also magnetize the ammo hopper on the side? I've been looking into magnetizing knights for this very reason. The arms and carapace weapons are easy but that thermal/battle cannon looks annoying

Yes, as well as Heavy Stabber ammo holder. But not on this Knight: I did another one for sale but decided it is too time-consuming to do the same for myself :). You will need a greenstuff (or some other putty) for this, though.

I'm going to buy one more Knight, maybe this time I'll force myself to do a full magnetization (including the internals of the cannon base).

Had at 1750 game today versus Chaos Daemons, mainly khorne. He had a few daemon princes, Skarbrand, some artillery and bloodletters etc. And some flying daemon I don’t recognise but I was able to target it. my turn 1.

I lost roll off as I had more models. But then seized! We played on quite a heavy terrain filled table. Made for some good choke points and LOS blocking areas.

My list was mainly Cawlstar with a Gallant and a couple of cheeky dragoons and a ten man squad of infiltrators

Highlights include sniping a daemon with WOM 72 shots of Blam! 13 mortal wounds kerpow! and then the Gallant....

Oh my goodness the Gallant. I played him as Taranis and just managed to get first turn charge on some bloodletters with full tilt and a charge roll of 5,5. He smashed into the daemons and cleaved a daemon with his Sword. Not content with killing that daemon he choked out another with death grip. He weathered significant attacks and almost survived being smited to death...alas he lost his final 2 wounds and I rolled to see if he blew up....(6)

Hahaha. Well at this point most of my opponents army was in range and the explosion wiped out quite a bit.

Then Skarbrand happened from deep strike....some poor screening on my part and that nasty daemon went round my end of the table chainattacking and consolidating his cuddly daemon self through most of my units.

Kastelan Robots and Gallant were joint MVPs for me. The rest not having much of an impact.

Ended a 4-4 draw on a roll to decide turn 4.(we had seriously bad luck with drawn objective cards) I was quite glad of this as I think another 1-2 turns and Skarbrand would of wandered round the board cleaning up. Fun game, good opponent smiles all round :)

NB Gallants are awesome

Archived