[Review] Kromlech Legionary Apothecary Conversion Set

So, I finally got my hands on Kromlech's Legionary Apothecary conversion set because ... snowflake.

Unfortunately, I torn open the carton out of excitement and recycled it before this review :tongue.: Apologies in advanced for picture quality due to cell phone.

Here is one side of the arm and backpack (Narhecium and Reductor [?])

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_14088.jpg

Annnd the other side to add more pictures ... As you may be able to tell, I also already cleaned off flash or those pesky studs from the sprue. It wasn't a lot of work, although the chainblade had a thin strip over the teeth. Nothing a little sharp blade and some filing couldn't fix.

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_208449.jpg

In both pics above, the arm looked a little long and pack a little small, so COMPARISON SHOT :laugh.: And it's true ...

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_193027.jpg

OR is it that the current GW Apothecary bits are dated? I mean, the pack is almost a copy from the 2nd edition model #amirite?!

Anyways, let's bluetac stuff on a dude (by the emperor I hate the stuff). So I may have had the torso lean to the right a little in my haste ...

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_150201.jpg

Oh, and that's a FW bolt pistol arm.

Look to the left!

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_17200.jpg

Look forward! I mean, let me see the rear ... I mean :facepalm:

Hidden Content
gallery_6494_14456_177340.jpg

The arm is a little long for my tastes, yet I wonder if it's because it seems to b "relaxed"? The detail on it is quite groovy: a BIG needle, the saw, cables and maaaaybe a small display panel on the wrist ... I think :ph34r.: Also, you'll need to shave the shoulder a little to get a GW pauldron to fit. It may work well with Legionary versions though. Otherwise, expect a little work. In the pic above, I had NOT done such cutting to see what it looks like naturally.

I mean, it's not a bad alternative at all. Sure, the pack doesn't have the vials like the GW version, but I think the strength of the set is that the "Narthecium" is on the right arm. Thus, for snowflakes like me, this is appealing as my Apothecary won't look like the dude across the table from me :happy.:

And really, the backpack doesn't have any symbols to make it a true doctor's kit so it could be used for another purpose.

Overall, I'd recommend the set if you want a little something different.

Great review, Sir. It may be the angle of the photo, but it looks to me as though the arm is OK hand to elbow but too long elbow to shoulder. If so, that might be addressed by shortening at the top of the shoulder. Heck if you have to do surgery to fit the pauldron it would be easy to shorten, too.

Any chance you would line them up and see if I'm right? Also, what brand cutting mat is that? Never saw one with stars.

Those are some handy tips Race. I bought one of these sets a couple of weeks ago and an apothecary is next on my list once my dreadnought is finished.

It does mean that there'll be two RG apothecaries in the Ravenspire with that set up though, so your special snowflake might be a little bit less special!

I could try that, sure :tu:  Buuut, I'm moving and packed away everything I was not using in the short-term so it may take time :(

Unless someone else does it, this is on my radar to work on :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey ho. As it seems a bit longer, might you be able to blutack it on a primaris?

P-L-E-E-E-A-S-E

Sorry I'm late :( This is the arm with GW Apothecary shoulder on a starter box Primaris body. Obviously, and lazily) bluetac'd. It's very fitting IMO.

gallery_6494_14456_60663.jpg

gallery_6494_14456_220056.jpg

gallery_6494_14456_44223.jpg

Are you sure about that? I just checked and only see left arms on the RW sprue. Am I not seeing it right?

You are right. Now where did I get a right arm one from?

Share a pic?

There was a right-handed apothecary arm in the old 3E Blood Angels Honour Guard set:

gw-99110101176-0.jpg

gw-99110101176-5.jpg

It was a metal upgrade piece, and the kit went OOP before Finecast ever existed, so it's a decent enough option if you ever see one second-hand.

Speaking of Blood Angels, the new Sanguinary Priest has the equipment on the right hand too, and the parts are separate from the rest of the model:

99070101008_BASanguinaryPriest01.jpg

http://www.bitzstore.com/1098-large_default/narthecium-sanguinary-priest-bitz.jpg

Whilst the old metal one probably won't fit Primaris, the new SG one probably would - and I think it'd be a decent match for the Kromlech offerings too. :smile.:

Archived