When did DA change their colours?

rendingon1+

Calibanite DA were sometimes (always?) allowed to wear a green pauldron inset as a reminder/indicator of the forests of Caliban, per Belath's introduction in Call of the Lion (pretty sure that's where the pauldron thing is revealed, I believe also where they first mention the Order of the Raven’s Wing as a knightly order segment).

IIRC, after the destruction of Caliban, the remaining DA would change their armor color in memory of Caliban that was now gone. Exactly when (as in approximate year) doesn't yet seem to be defined.

I know it’s not really what you asked but I’m sure I read that it was following the release of Space Marine (epic) in 1989. The artist that did the box art changed the DAs from black to a very dark green. Apparently it was just an artistic choice with no lore behind it.

There is some fan-fiction floating around of the Dark Angels loyal to the Lion quickly painting their armor green to differentiate them from their "Fallen" brothers before going into battle with them. I hated the story with the single plate as it seemed to be another reason for the rift to form. As if the Dark Angels don't have enough problems with their literature. 

Ha! Seems my post was censored by InnerC (or mayby just malfunctioning mobile).

And yes, that is what I was intending to tell - I've read somewhere that black to green change happened when the news of surviving Fallen came out after Caliban reduction. Though I'm not sure it was an official source as GMB pointed out.

Archived