Relic Leviathan Dreadnought

Knight Angels

huhu

I want to get a big, bad guy in my army as a centrepiece. besides the knights i am looking at the forgeworld "relic leviathan dreadnougt". its basically a landraider with legs and a 4++ and offers some nasty firepower: 2x storm cannon array (20 shots with S7 DS-2 D2), hitting on 2+, reroll 1s (when standing still).

What i dont like so much about him is that it cannot shoot while in combat (damn sneaky pile-in-moves) and when he has only one CC-arm, he looses an attack (3 attacks is quite poor for such a great model).

So i wonder if you have any recommendations concerning usability / loadout / alternativs etc. and what your experiences with the leviathan are.

Thanks in advance

Is your statement based on experienc?

yeah i didnt bother to mention those extra flamers. they are a nice bonus

what are the costs of him with 2x siege drills? is 318 pts correct? (dont trust battlescribe here)

with 2x storm cannon arrays: 309 pts? That would be quite cheap!

I have 2 only used the double grav bombard one and wasn’t that impressed. But it was vs Orks so he had a hard time getting to shoot the heavy flamers worked good. And now he can use the missiles on top.

He’s also very easy to magnetize so I have 4 grave 4 storm canons and 2 close combat arms.

Unfortunately the stormraven can no longer carry one of these puppies, same goes for the leviathan dreadnought drop pod. He was a beast in combat, if you could get him in there, but the 2 storm cannons are awesome. Keeping a 24" range shooting monster still is a challenge, so most of the time, you'll only be hitting on 3's, at least any opponent would be silly not to try to get out of range of a leviathan. 20 shots on 3's though is still pretty solid. 13 hits average, rhino chassis tanks will be dented rather well by one of these in one round of shooting. 8 wounds shouldn't be off statistically after saves.

The grav flux bombard is more points and not nearly as versatile as the storm cannon arrays. And if a leviathan is not equipped for close combat, it's of course some work to keep it out of said combat, but it should be doable at least to some extent.

Is your statement based on experienc?

yeah i didnt bother to mention those extra flamers. they are a nice bonus

what are the costs of him with 2x siege drills? is 318 pts correct? (dont trust battlescribe here)

with 2x storm cannon arrays: 309 pts? That would be quite cheap!

Yep, fielded him about 20 times, even when he gets picked on he’s the MVP. Either killing stuff or soaking up fire.

309 is correct

@sneaky when did the storm raven loose the ability to carry the relic leviathan dreadnought?

Last faq. Can only carry a certain amount of wounds.

What Pvnisher said - to elaborate, only dreadnoughts with fewer starting wounds than a Redemptor can be transported following that FAQ.

Yes, GRC, but the melee weapons are so expensive. I have the cyclonic melta lance for mine along with a CCW, but I think I'll mainly run dual storm cannon arrays due to points (with melee option and melta lance it's around 350 points or more, afair). Though firstly, I have to get it assembled and painted :rolleyes:

i ordered the leviathan with 2x storm cannon, 1x claw, 1x siege drill and 1x grav-flux.

With that i can make 3 configs:

Dakka Bot: 2x storm cannon array

Combat Bot: siege drill and claw

Multirole Bot: grav-flux bombard with siege drill (or with claw -> still have to decide which one to use here)

Now im waiting for the package which can take up to a month because of increased demand.

I will post pics when finished painting. Cheers

In my experience (have one and love it) the SCA are the way to go. The CC options arent supported by the number of attacks to justify the cost IMO. Give him a bit of backup to prevent getting swarmed and it shreds things. 

One thing opponents tend to think is that the SCA is just a big Autocannon but it's actually -2 AP and thats such a huge difference. I use an Iron priest to keep him from being nickel and dimed down so a techmarine might be fun for you too.

The thing is also a joy to build and paint, its such a well designed model. On all fronts, string recommend from me.

Edit: Forgot to address the bombards. Super cool and fun to use when they work, but they're swingy so sometimes they just won't...

• 4 weeks later...

as promised some pics of my new toy. Thanks everone for ur feedback.

The CC-Arms and the Grav Bombard isnt painted (all magnetized)

The colours are very bright and dont match RL, especially the red (should be more brown)

med_gallery_87563_14749_301390.jpg

med_gallery_87563_14749_592059.jpg

med_gallery_87563_14749_676181.jpg

@sneaky when did the storm raven loose the ability to carry the relic leviathan dreadnought?

Can someone link this FAQ ? which one is it?

i ordered the leviathan with 2x storm cannon, 1x claw, 1x siege drill and 1x grav-flux.

Multirole Bot: grav-flux bombard with siege drill (or with claw -> still have to decide which one to use here)

Now im waiting for the package which can take up to a month because of increased demand.

You can spend a CP to make Leviathan Deathwing with Inner Circle Stratagem, stick a Deathwing banner next to him along with Asmodai for 2 extra attacks. Its not efficient but if you have 10xDeathwing Knights there aswell, thats one scary deathstar. Though it costs like 1k points

Can someone link this FAQ ? which one is it?

You can spend a CP to make Leviathan Deathwing with Inner Circle Stratagem, stick a Deathwing banner next to him along with Asmodai for 2 extra attacks. Its not efficient but if you have 10xDeathwing Knights there aswell, thats one scary deathstar. Though it costs like 1k points

Asmodai only affect infantry and biker.

Archived