Last night game against Harlequins 2k point

Hey guys decided to bring my thousand sons to a 2k point game against harlequins last night. We rolled table for core rules and landed The relic and deployment was Hammer and Anvil (first turn to quins on sieze). Ended up going 6 turns finally ending with me killing his shadowseer and having closest models for minor victory. What I took away from this game as a TS player was Magnus is best utilized for my play style as a general and buffer for his fellow psykers. Obviously you can fly him up the field at any time with warptime and hurt anything in the game and thats how I've always used him. I decided to play a little different this game and hold him back those first few turns sitting back with a couple psykers bubble wrapped by a couple Tzzangor units of 15/20 and a cultist unit moving up the field as a blob. In this game in particular the debuffs and mortal wounds rerolling all failed 1's to psychic tests were clutch. My opponent wanted magnus dead early so he kinda worked as a bait trick. Now I know armies like IG, Tau, and Eldar are gonna give any magnus list issues turn 1 because they dont have to get within 24". Which makes me still second guess bringing him to a tournament but boy did he shine in this list/game. He ended up surviving the entire game with 7 wounds left and probably killed about 600 points maybe more. What was really the icing on the cake was I never had to really smite with him but twice I believe by using the extra cast. This is the first game Ive played after the smite nerf was lifted and if we play our cards right and land our psychic buffs I think pure TS could be in a good place. The only thing I could see me taking in this list if magnus was left out would be a defiler, more Enlightened, and maybe try to fit in a Mutalith vortex beast. The auto wound on enlightened has been really good so far for me with a little help to hit rolls. Hope you guys enjoyed my rant! Here is the list from last night.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [49 PL, 943pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Relics of the Thousand Sons (2 Relics)

+ HQ +

Ahriman on Disc of Tzeentch [9 PL, 166pts]: Glamour of Tzeentch, Prescience, Warptime

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch [9 PL, 180pts]: Boon of Change, Gaze of Fate, Malefic talon, Wings, Helm of the Third eye

+ Troops +

Tzaangors [7 PL, 150pts]: Brayhorn, 19x Tzaangor w/ Tzaangor Blades

. Twistbray: Tzaangor blades

Tzaangors [7 PL, 150pts]: Brayhorn, 19x Tzaangor w/ Tzaangor Blades

Tzaangors [7 PL, 105pts]: 14x Tzaangor w/ Tzaangor Blades

+ Elites +

Tzaangor Shaman [5 PL, 90pts]: Force stave, Temporal Manipulation

+ Fast Attack +

Tzaangor Enlightened [5 PL, 102pts]: Aviarch, 5x Enlightened, Fatecaster greatbows

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [37 PL, 610pts] ++

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch [9 PL, 180pts]: Bolt of Change, Dark Matter Crystal, Flickering Flames, Malefic talon, Wings

Sorcerer in Terminator Armour [8 PL, 140pts]: Familiar, Force stave, Gift of Chaos, Infernal Gaze, Inferno Combi-bolter

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [6 PL, 44pts]: 10x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun

. Cultist Champion: Autogun

Rubric Marines [7 PL, 120pts]

. Aspiring Sorcerer: Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Tzeentch's Firestorm

. 3x Rubric Marine w/ Inferno Boltgun: 3x Inferno boltgun

. Rubric Marine w/ Warpflamer: Warpflamer

Rubric Marines [7 PL, 126pts]

. Aspiring Sorcerer: Force stave, Warpflame Pistol, Weaver of Fates

. 3x Rubric Marine w/ Inferno Boltgun: 3x Inferno boltgun

. Rubric Marine w/ Warpflamer: Warpflamer

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [23 PL, 445pts] ++

+ Lord of War +

Magnus the Red [23 PL, 445pts]: Death Hex, Doombolt, Infernal Gateway, Warlord, Weaver of Fates

++ Total: [109 PL, 1998pts] ++

Going more into detail I ended up using my rubrics as a side screens while I moved up the field only because we landed the relic. Usually I use them as hard to get rid of objective sitter. In this particular game they did rather well assisting my blob with supporting fire and Aspiring sorceror landing some mortal wounds. Ive considered taking a third unit no doubt.

As for the Vehicles/Bikes my buddy brought 6 skyweavers and 2 starweavers(Both loaded with 5 troupe players all fusion coming at magnus). Turn one he advanced his skyweavers and starweavers up and played them really agressive. The skyweavers made it in close first and were mortal wounded to death while having a 3++ invul and finished off in melee on my fight phase actually giving me a bit more movement outta my Tzzangors. Onto the two starweavers, I ended up getting lucky and denied his twilight pathways extra move in two consecutive turns. The 24" range on the two smites I actually did use with magnus really hurt and were pretty high damage and both transports were gone by turn 3. I guess I really didnt need a lot of anti tank against this list. I will say that this list performed actual a little better against his Tyranids but thats a story for another day. Here is the list he brought against me just to give you guys an idea of what the table looked like he only webway the 8 man unit of troupe players.

PS: Every turn I made sure to use my +2 to psychic test strat and the extra cast strat on magnus every turn. This almost guaranteed my doombolt on a unit and death hex was on a unit just about every turn. I was really fortunate with my psychic rolls.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Aeldari - Harlequins) [49 PL, 1078pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Enigmas of the Black Library (2 Relics)

Masque Form: The Soaring Spite: Serpent's Blood

+ HQ +

Shadowseer [7 PL, 125pts]: Shards of Light, Shuriken Pistol, Webway Dance

Troupe Master [4 PL, 86pts]: Fusion Pistol, Harlequin's Kiss

+ Troops +

Troupe [5 PL, 140pts]

. Player: Fusion Pistol, Harlequin's Embrace

Troupe [5 PL, 140pts]

Troupe [5 PL, 113pts]

. Player: Harlequin's Embrace, Shuriken Pistol

+ Fast Attack +

Skyweavers [13 PL, 276pts]

. Skyweaver: Shuriken Cannon, Zephyrglaive

+ Dedicated Transport +

Starweaver [5 PL, 99pts]: 2x Shuriken Cannon

Starweaver [5 PL, 99pts]: 2x Shuriken Cannon

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Aeldari - Harlequins) [34 PL, 659pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Masque Form: The Silent Shroud: Dance of Nightmares Made Flesh

+ HQ +

Shadowseer [7 PL, 125pts]: Fog of Dreams, Shuriken Pistol, Veil of Tears

Troupe Master [4 PL, 86pts]: Fractal Storm, Fusion Pistol, Harlequin's Kiss, The Scintillant Veil, Warlord

+ Troops +

Troupe [8 PL, 160pts]

. Player: Harlequin's Caress, Shuriken Pistol

Troupe [5 PL, 95pts]

Troupe [5 PL, 95pts]

+ Elites +

Solitaire [5 PL, 98pts]: Harlequin's Caress, Harlequin's Kiss, The Laughing God's Eye

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Harlequins) [16 PL, 260pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Masque Form: The Dreaming Shadow: Sombre Sentinels

+ HQ +

Shadowseer [7 PL, 125pts]: Mirror of Minds, Shuriken Pistol, Twilight Pathways

+ Elites +

Death Jester [3 PL, 45pts]

++ Total: [99 PL, 1997pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Yeah its a fun list to play with all the psychics. My favorite army besides Blood angels to play. He brought the same list against my Blood angels a couple weeks ago and it was a competitive game till the end with Harlequins getting the win.

Hi skerr he did make a move on Magnus by advancing his two starweavers full of fusion troupes up the board agressively. My mass troop blobs gave me much more than a 6" screen against any fusions coming straight at me. Top of turn 1 he attempted to twilight pathways his first starweaver behind my blob which would have probably gave him 5 fusion shots into magnus but I landed a deny the witch which was huge. If I had it to play again I would have put a group of rubrics behind magnus and my blob for a little more screenage. Basically though my screen was enough and my extra 6" on all my psychics really hurt his pistols getting in and doing damage. Anything that got within 18"-24" of my blob was dead pretty quick. The best move I made the entire game was using dark crystal matter on a 20 man Tzaangor unit to cut off the rest of his army pushing up. This allowed me to move my blob up and land some clutch psychics on his incoming clowns!

Archived