Plasma cannon vs lascannon

So I'm playing steel legion and just got an armoured sentinel off ebay for cheaps. I allways used lascannons on my sentinels in past editions, this one however has a glued on plasma cannon. I'm probably going to go for at least 2 armoured sentinels in my lists and wanted some feedback on how you play them in 8th.

I know that without the tallarn doctrine my sentinels will be less mobile or would have to decrease their accuraccy by a mile but I want to play a hybrid army with a few foot squads supported by yarrick, bullgryns and leman russ battle tanks as the "anvil" and 3 mechanised squads in chimera APC supported by hellhounds as the hammer (and objective grabbers).

So I see my sentinels as support units for the anvil that will be most likely in range of yarricks reroll buffs. So the math.

2xLascannon sent near yarrick, firing at LRBT equivalent (T8, 3+save) :

2 shots, 1.165hits, 0.778 wounds, 0.648 unsaved wounds, total damage 2.269.

That's the math of 2 lascannon sens shooting at a LRBT. So statistically they would need 6 turns to kill a tank. Of course lucky roll come in and of course rerolls from CPs but lets leave the math at that. In comparison the plasma cannon sents perform as so:

4 shots, 2.333 hits, 1.167 wounds, 0.972 unsaved wounds, total damage 1.944.

So plasma cannons perform a bit worse than lascannons at killing tanks, even though the maximum damage output is the same for both weapons. Where the plasma cannons win out is when targetting anything but single models and are quite good at removing elite infantry.

Maths aside what are the merits of the plasma cannon in an imperial guard army and which variant would you take?

Archived