Codex Space Marines Amendments

This topic contains a list of my amendments to Codex Space Marines that I have worked on after numerous discussions and much research on the internet and review of competitive play.

Note that this might not be exhaustive as the Codex is pretty large!

The changes are focused on bringing the army back within the bell curve, so to speak, which takes on the issue with Elite armies being difficult to balance in a game where powerful weapons cause elites to be treated as conscripts.

Part of that focus is related to Stratagem. Cheaper and flexible to give our otherwise over costed model a chance. Tactical Marines and Intercessors in particular are worthwhile now, rather than Battalion Tax.

Please give feedback and opinions, ensuring we stay on topic.

Thanks for your time.

Codex Space Marines Amendments

Chapter Tactics

All amended to include all models in addition to infantry and Dreadnoughts.

Iron Hands: Addendum added - "Unyielding Ancients on Venerable Dreadnoughts ignores wounds on a 5+."

Unit Amendments

Chaplains (all types) – gain the following special rule:

• Mental Fortitude: Friendly units within 6” ignore Mortal Wounds from Psychic Powers on a 6+. The Chaplain himself ignores Mortal Wounds from Psychic Powers on a 5+.

Honour Guard – Gain the following options:

• Any model can swap its power axe for a Mastercrafted power sword, a power maul, power fist or Thunder Hammer.

• Any model can swap its Mastercrafted Bolter for a Storm Shield for 5pts.

• The unit can take up to 6 additional Honour Guard.

In addition, replace the unit's Bolters with Mastercrafted Bolters and amend the Honour Guard rule as follows: “Roll a D6 for each hit on a friendly character within 3” of an Honour Guard unit whenever that character is attacked, up to the maximum number of models left in the unit at the time of the attack. On a 2+ the Honour Guard unit takes the hit instead.”

Chapter Champion – Amend the power sword and Bolter to be Mastercrafted versions of each.

In addition, add the following options:

• Can swap his Mastercrafted power sword for a power axe, power maul or Thunder Hammer.

• As long as this model hasn’t swapped its Mastercrafted power sword, it can swap its Mastercrafted Bolter for a Champion's Blade.

Chapter Ancient – Amend the power sword to a Mastercrafted power sword.

Terminator squads (all types) – Amend Profiles to have WS and BS 2+ and 3 wounds.

Dreadnoughts (all types) – Add the following special rule

• Adamantium Sarcophagus: This unit treats hits from all AP-1 weapons as AP-0.

Redemptor Dreadnought – Add the following special rule:

• Steadfast Advance: This unit ignores the penalty of moving and firing with heavy weapons.

Land Raiders (all types) – Decrease points cost by 35pts. Change its WS to 5+. Add the following special rule:

• Steel behemoth: This unit can fall back from close combat and still fire its weapons.

Repulsor - Decrease Points cost by 35pts.

Land Speeders – Adjust points cost to 40pts each.

Rhino – Adjust points cost to 55pts.

Drop Pod – Adjust points cost to 60pts and amend the rules with the following; “...a unit that disembarks from a Drop Pod follows the usual rules for disembarking from a vehicle but cannot charge that turn.”

In addition, allow 6 Primaris infantry or 3 Aggressors to be transported within a Drop Pod. Characters in Gravis Armour count as a single model in this case.

Predator – Add the following special rule:

• Big Game Hunter: The turret weapon of a Predator adds +1 to wound when firing at units with the Vehicle or Monster Keyword.

Vindicators – Amend the number of shots to D6.

Replace the existing special rule with the following special rule:

• Immense munitions: If the Vindicator fires at a target without the Fly Keyword it gains a +1 to hit. If that target is within 12” it is hit automatically in the Shooting Phase instead.

Hunter – Amend the weapon Strength to 14 and the damage to 5.

Stalker – Gain the following special rule:

• Fusillade of fire: If the Stalker doesn’t move this turn it can fire twice in the Shooting Phase.

Devastator Centurions – Adjust points cost to 45pts per model.

Assault Centurions – Adjust points cost to 45pts per model.

Weapon Amendments

Missile Launcher – Adjust to 17pts.

Chainfist – Adjust to 14pts.

Power Fist – Adjust to 11pts.

Relic Blade – Adjust to 16pts.

Grav Cannon – Adjust to 20pts.

Grav Gun – Adjust to 13pts.

Plasma Gun – Adjust to 15pts.

Plasma Cannon – Adjust to 17pts.

Multi-melta – Adjust to 21pts.

Servo-arm & Full Servo Harness – Amend the special rules with the following:

• Servo-arm: A model makes a single additional attack with this weapon, with a -1 to hit.

• Full Servo Harness: A model makes 2 additional attacks with this weapon, with a -1 to hit.

Psychic Powers

Veil of Time – Unchanged.

Might of Heroes – Addendum: “Alternatively, you can instead choose this power to affect a whole unit even consisting of more than a single model, granting them +1 Strength until the start of your next Psychic Phase.”

Psychic Scourge – Unchanged.

Fury of the Ancients – Replace with “WC6: The effect of this power manifests slightly differently between Chapters, since the legendary figures and character of each Chapter vary immensely. A manifestation from the Ultramarines might utilise a Gladius to strike at a Librarian’s foes, whereas those from the Sons of Dorn often crush their foes with Fist and Hammer.

Choose either a power sword, power axe, power maul or Power Fist. Pick an enemy unit within 12” of the Librarian and attack it as if the Librarian was attacking it in the Fight Phase using that weapon.

Psychic Fortress – Unchanged.

Null Zone – Amended to WC6.

Strategums

Relics of the Chapter – Unchanged.

Chapter Master – Amend to 2 Command Points.

Line Breaker – Replace with “1 Command Point: Choose a Vindicator or Whirlwind in the Shooting Phase. That model can fire twice this turn.”

Killshot – Replace with “2 Command Points: Choose a Land Raider, Predator, Dreadnought or Repulsor in the Shooting Phase. That model receives +1 damage to all its Heavy weapons this Shooting Phase.”

Masterful Marksmanship – Amend to allow Terminators armed with Stormbolters or Twinbolters to use it as well as Sternguard.

Hellfire Shells – Unchanged.

Orbital Bombardment – Change the area affected to D6 + 3”. Change the damage to “Roll a D6 for each unit in range of the target area – on a 2+ they suffer that many Mortal Wounds.” Each Character can only be hit on a 5+ first before you roll for damage.

Flakk Missile – Unchanged.

Cluster Mines – Amend to include Scouts squads as well as Scout Bikes squadrons.

Empyric Channelling – Replace with “1 Command Point: Choose a single Librarian or Tigurius model. As long as the model did not move, disembark from a transport or Deploy this turn, that model can add +1 to any Psychic tests that turn.”

Datalink Telemetry – Addendum to allow all other units to reroll fail to hit rolls of a one in the Shooting phase when firing at the unit within 12” of the Land Speeder.

Auspex Scan – Amend to 1 Command Point. Addendum; “Alternatively, a friendly Devastator or Aggressor squad can fire at the enemy unit instead provided they can draw line of sight to it. They still suffer the -1 to hit modifier.”

Armour of Contempt – Unchanged.

Honour the Chapter – Amend to 2 Command Points.

Wisdom of the Ancients – Unchanged.

Only In Death Does Duty End – Amend to 1 Command Point.

Death to the Traitors! – Unchanged.

Tremor Shells – Unchanged.

NEW! Decapitating Strike – “2 Command Points: Use before a Tactical or Intercessor squad fires in the Shooting Phase. The unit's shooting attacks, except those with the Heavy type, can target Characters for this phase even if they are not the closest models.

NEW! Fury of the Chapter – “1 Command Point: Use before a Crusader, Tactical or Intercessor squad fires in the Shooting Phase. That unit can fire twice this phase.”

NEW! No Pity, No Remorse – “1 Command Point: Use before a Crusader, Tactical or Intercessor squad attacks in the Fight Phase. Any model can opt to fire it's Bolt weapons into combat as if it was the Shooting Phase, even if it is the opponent's turn. However, models that do so cannot make their normal attacks that Fight Phase.”

NEW! Meteoric Descent – “1 Command Point: Use when a unit with Jump Packs successfully completes a charge against one or more target enemy units in the Charge Phase. Roll a D6 for each model in the unit within 1” of the charging unit, causing a Mortal Wound on one enemy unit of your choice for each roll of a 6.”

NEW! Hammer of the Emperor – “2 Command Points: Use before a unit of Crusaders, Assault Marines, Reivers or Vanguard Veterans attacks in the Fight Phase. That unit gets a +1 to wound rolls for that phase only.”

NEW! Rain of Fire – “1 Command Point: Use before a unit of Assault Marines or Vanguard Veterans with Jump Packs fires in the Shooting Phase. Any model in the unit can throw a grenade this Shooting Phase.”

NEW! Marked for Death – 2 Command Points: Use this Stratagem after a friendly Scout, Scout Bikes, Space Marine Bikes, Land Speeder or Reivers unit has inflicted an unsaved wound on an enemy unit in the Shooting Phase. The next unit to fire at the same target gets +1 to wound this Phase.

An Stratagem I just though for this.

Suspended Animation: The Sus-An Membrane can keep alive a space marine even at death´s door, by putting him on a state of suspended animation.

2 Command Points: Use it when a Space Marine Character is slain, roll a D6, on a 4+ that model counts as not being slain for all purposes (except if the controling player has no models on the table.)

I think Guilliman also has to be addressed.

Until he is significantly changed, he's going to force a hefty tax on our best units like the Fire Raptor.

Or you could, you know, just make him cost more?

Personally, I think bringing back minimum pts values for LoW in general would be a good idea for matched play

My thoughts are:

Fury of the Ancients should probably be based of the libby is using.

so either force sword, axe, or hammer.

I like the chaplain idea, gives them a bonus vs psykers without being able to deny outright.

I'm wary of giving vanilla marines effectively red thirst for a turn, even at 2 cp.

Probably just personal distaste, as I don't see it being game breaking.

And finally, I think that tacticals/intercessors need a "always on" buff, rather than targeted strategems.

Firing twice with 5 intercessors isn't even worth 1 CP most of the time.

+1 On the Chaplain ability to Deny

Also a guy i never really see used.. Sgt. Chronus, maybe make him a Lieutenant or keep him ranked as a Sgt. but allow him to reroll Hits or Wounds or Damage for the vehicle he is attached to? Also maybe I suck at reading the rules but does his rule mean that as long as he is commanding the Tank.. the Tank will always be BS 2+ even with a sliding stat scale?

I think Guilliman also has to be addressed.

Until he is significantly changed, he's going to force a hefty tax on our best units like the Fire Raptor.

Or you could, you know, just make him cost more?

Increasing his cost won't solve the problem, all it will do is relegate an awesome model and a cool character a lot of people want to use to the shelf.

Guilliman's auras don't scale well.  His re-rolls outrageously buff other units far more than the game can handle, and his value increases with the number of units he buffs.  If his abilities were confined to one or two units (similar to Tigurius' abilities) he wouldn't impact the game as crazily as he does right now.

I don’t know... I personally feel Guilliman is too many points. The ITC GT I was had had zero. And the only marines were Raven Guard.

Parking lot Astra beats the crap out of Guilliman Gunline, and Astra will always win the arms race.

Marines for me need that mid/close ange buff they are missing on so many levels. I think the drop pod needs more. Maybe it can DS in T1 in the opponent’s zone in T1? I don’t know but it’s junk and dysfunctional.

I love the Chaplain ideas. You just never see them which is a total shame.

The Honour Guard sounds good, I just honestly still don’t see taking them.

I’m upset (still) that GW did a knee jerk on early Guilliman gunline and crushed Hurricanes, Stormravens, assault cannons, and Razorbacks. Is it too late to fix this?

Primaris aren’t in a great spot but it still bothers me they got 7th ed Bolters while disgruntled postal worker Cultists get T shirt saves from marine Bolters.

Termies... I just don’t know. Too highly affected from all the AP in the game.

I personally believe Astartes have the worst Psychic Powers and Strats in the game currently.

Lots of good ideas. It makes me realize how dated the Marine Codex is already. I remember thinking stufff like Landspeeders were going to be fun. There’s some seriously derelict units already. Most of it is very high priced.

Could always take a page from Dawm of War and give the Chaplain "Demoralizing Shout" Enemy units within 6" of the Chaplain take -1 to their Ld or must use the units lowest Ld during the Morale Phase"

Im thinking I might make these Chaplain rules in house rules

Lieutenants can take Chainswords

Could always take a page from Dawm of War and give the Chaplain "Demoralizing Shout" Enemy units within 6" of the Chaplain take -1 to their Ld or must use the units lowest Ld during the Morale Phase"

Im thinking I might make these Chaplain rules in house rules

"-Come here you little :censored:!"

For the record; I'm not touching Guilliman or many of the special characters. It's a whole different topic!

As for things like Terminators - they're likely to be much more survivable with 3 wounds. All those damage 2 and D3 damage weapons are suddenly going to be needing multiple hits to fell one. An extra wound essentially doubles the survivability against the main anti-Terminator platforms out there.

Likewise, hitting on a 2+ means their power fists are dangerous even when there's only a handful of models left.

A note on Stratagems - whilst if people don't like something I will listen to feedback (every post here is golden, thank you) I do want to point out that the new ones are designed to encourage people taking units rarely seen. So Assault Marines and Vanguard can benefit from +1 to wound might sound like it's a Blood Angels thing but it's a cost in CP and also boosts a unit otherwise forgotten.

Add addendum to Tactical/Intercessor stratagems and Assault Marine strategem “Hammer” to say Crusader Squads too

You're right! I forgot about Crusaders which is a crime!

Crusaders added to Strategums

Reivers added to Strategums

Repulsors added to Strategums

Aggressors added to Strategums

Just a note, Crusaders added to most Tactical Marines Stratagems and one Assault Marines Stratagem. The Decapitating Strike Stratagem I considered very measured and restrained so didn't fit zealous, frothing Marines. On the flip side, +1 to wound did...

I added Aggressors to Auspex Scan alongside Devastators, as those big Gravis Armour boys look like they have some sort of telemetry in there. Hellblasters don't have Signums so they didn't fit, but then Aggressors need a boost over Hellblasters anyway.

Reivers and Repulsors added also since they were an omission.

So how do people feel about what Prot mentioned with the Drop Pod? I'm reluctant to allow it to break the 1st turn limitations especially as it can come in turn 2 anyway. My thoughts were it's much cheaper in my amendments and allows for a shooty unit to get close enough to fire. Sternguard with heavy flamers in particular.

Should Aggressors be allowed to take one? That would fix them right away.

Should I simplify Fury of the Ancients? I wanted to give the impression of an ancient character doing the damage, but I see the merit in just allowing the Librarian to attack normally. D3 wounds per force weapon wound is powerful and makes it an effective power over say smite?

I think this was a good idea.

Landraider needs the same rule as the Spartan, so it can leave combat and still shoot, or shoot in combat, and has good damage when actually fighting in CC.

Marines need to drop to 11 points.

Scouts to 9

Primaris Reivers, Hellblasters and Intercessors to 15 base

Gravis Armour needs a 2+ save

Repulsor needs a 40/50 point drop. Make the save a 2+

All Dreadnoughts need to ignore movement BS penalties and drop by 20% of costs.

Guilliman needs to drop back to 360. There's some weird idea that he's a dominating force in the game. He makes shooting very efficient but he also makes your army slow or static and thus lose board control. I got stomped by Dark Eldar in the last 2 games I played, if anything he under-performed! If you still believe he is a problem then you're not playing the game at a high level or against up to date codecies. The way to curb things like Fire Raptor or Razor spam is to put additional limitations on those units. Put the Razorback in Fast Attack so it's no longer a dedicated transport and thus cannot be spammed, make the Fire Raptor a Relic or a max of 1/2 per detachment. Problem solved. No need to increase any points - the Raptor needs to be reduced in fact.

Also we need new psychic disciplines. Something like Death Hex and Warp Time.

Some Forgeworld units have become so under powered that anyone running FW should receive a pat on the back and some free points to use in their list!

The book needs massive changes guys, don't underplay it.

For less than the cost of a single Repulsor a Dark Eldar player can bring 3 Ravagers with Disintegrators.

That's 33 wounds with a 5++ save, a FNP and 27 shots that do 3 damage each! We cannot, at all, compete with this.

Interesting changes.

I mean I'm no big fan of such extensive adjustments since then we could just stop playing by GW rules and make our own games anyway, but what it clearly shows is that even with all those changes and mainly buffs it doesn't feel like Marines would become the next top tier cheese ... and that just means one thing: the Marine Codex really needs a rework like that badly (not like we didn't know that already).

However that's just the power-level aspect of the Codex. Imo the whole Codex and Unit structure needs an inspired rework since it's very bland compared to Codexes like the Dark Eldar etc. The Codex structure of Space Marines didn't age very well and that has nothing to do with how strong or weak they are in the current meta.

with most of the codexes written, maybe there could be chance that a new vanilla marine dex could drop by the end of the year?

but going by the topic....

strongly agree with drop all the knee jerk point hikes.

strongly agree with drop the cost of marine infantry.

strongly agree with three wound terminators although this in turn means chaos chapters would get them too.

strongly agree with drop the cost of dreadnoughts

strongly agree with drop drop the cost of vehicles with transport options.

personal suggestions

sort out the chapter traits. they should either apply to all units or vehicles get their own rules like the imperial guard do.

better strategems.

allow loyalists built in extra hits on a 6+ in close combat against traitors because all chaos units are not 10k years old anyway so GW should really spread the free hits love to loyalists, when they hate the traitors just as much in the fluff if not more in some cases, how does a fresh chaos cultist hate a blood angel more than dante would hate a chaos cultist?

drop the cost of fast attack units.

surely they must know that if all units are affordable then players might buy and use them otherwise whats the point of handicapping yourself just to use a fun but expensive unit when the objective of the game is to win? in my opinion i would not consider that fun when i can just spend those points on more units so i can stay in the game longer and enjoy it more.

remember when devastator centurions terrorised enemy lists?

I really like the changes and would be happy to play any of them.

The only one I think needs a bit more work is the meteoric descent stratagem. I know it only costs 1 cp but it still doesn’t seem worth it. I don’t think, realistically, it will inflict many wounds on a unit. Maybe 1 or 2 each time which, personally, I don’t think compares to say 1cp to reroll the shot numbers on a D6 weapon or the damage on a D6 weapon.

Personally I would change it to one of these:

1) inflict a mortal wound on a 5+ (or even 4+)

2) change it to roll a D6 for every model in the unit being charged

3) each individual jump pack marine (rather than the unit) rolls a D6 for every model within 1 inch of it.

You may need to adjust the cp cost for one or more of those but I think the higher chances of inflicting wounds is worth it.

Just my opinion though, like said, really like the other ideas, particularly removing the need for three vehicles for the killshot or linebreaker strat.

All the stratagems are garbage, imo. Even our best ones are medicore, with the exception of the RG infiltration.

They need a full re-write, top to bottom. Look at what the Eldar factions, Custodes or Knights have as an example of how influential stratagems can and should be.

Marines have the weakest codex right now, we're only marginally better than Index armies in all truth. Every single unit, including Guilliman, is over-costed.

All the stratagems are garbage, imo. Even our best ones are medicore, with the exception of the RG infiltration.

They need a full re-write, top to bottom. Look at what the Eldar factions, Custodes or Knights have as an example of how influential stratagems can and should be.

Marines have the weakest codex right now, we're only marginally better than Index armies in all truth. Every single unit, including Guilliman, is over-costed.

not going to name names but what amuses me is when some battle hardened tournament players insist that the marine dex is still solid and the marine players who say otherwise are doing it wrong when those same guys who are curb stomping marines are using various eldar. i could take their word for it if they were using the marine codex themselves.

Did you even bother to read the first post?

Lol I am a battle hardened Marine tournament player, I'e been to two in the last month.

No one insists the Marine codex is solid. It's not as terrible as the weakest books in 7th were when compared to the best, but it's most certainly the weakest of all the current books.

The tournament results are the evidence you should look at, not what people say. Marines are not placing high, not winning, not dictating the meta, etc, etc

Who are the hardcore players insisting on the strength of the book? Reece at FLG? lol

Archived