Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

GW author flooded by death wishes over new book

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,041 posts
  • Faction: The Aurora Chapter
I don’t mean to belittle the very real and ugly harassment that the author’s getting, but the title of this thread is absolutely false. The Tweet in question says nothing about death threats, and he’s said nothing about getting “flooded”. What he’s said is that he’s received comments on his site wishing he’d get terminal illness, and that he’s a “cist (sp?) on humanity’s corpse.” These are bad enough, I don’t think we need to make it out to be worse.
  • Marshal Rohr, SickSix, Mike Zulu and 3 others like this
gallery_23421_8142_1088.png

Cpt_Reaper

Cpt_Reaper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,043 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Shadow

Deltora Quest is written for young adults, and it's one of my favourite series ever.

I will pick up his book and give it a read. A good book is a good book no matter the target demographic.

• DuskRaider likes this

allfatherstudios

allfatherstudios

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 86 posts

Why does this topic need to exist here? I get bringing attention to the horrendous acts against the author, but at some point this thread will devolve into something far more ugly, polarizing, and vicious.
I don’t think there is anything to gain by leaving it open and I would put forward to the mods a humble request to close it.

Nice forethought. :) Well done.

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,771 posts
  • Faction: 40k - xenos & ad-mech

As stated well somewhere else, it's a hobby company that you buy stuff from that you love...you pay,you get a product full stop...if you like more buy more...if you don't like a certain product Don't Buy it...but please don't think that the company owe's you anything at all because you bought from them sweat.gif ... Shareholders get to have a say but Fan's and purchasers of hobby goods don't...if you really want to say something just don't purchase the product biggrin.png 

The Author that was commissioned by the company was just doing a job...do you go off tap at the local kid in the supermarket cause he's stacking the cans on the shelves a certain way?...his boss told him to do that,he's getting paid to do a job,that's all, you wouldn't scream death threats at him cause he put Coca-Cola cans Above the Pepsi-cola ones would you...?...

...i hope not ermm.gif

This world is a bit cray cray,well actually some of the people in it are teehee.gif

i look fwd to buying this Kids cartoon novel for my kid...boy it's going to have some history behind it years from now happy.png

cheers, Mithril

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png PtR_Black_Pearl_Badge.jpgETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei02.gifETL_Medal_02.gifgallery_48988_6285_17537.pngETL_2016_Badge_10_Badge_of_the_Artificergallery_6494_6331_8260.pngETL_VI_Banner_01_Oath_of_Moment_.jpg

Calyptra

Calyptra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 512 posts
  • Faction: Dark Eldar

Why does this topic need to exist here? I get bringing attention to the horrendous acts against the author, but at some point this thread will devolve into something far more ugly, polarizing, and vicious.
I don’t think there is anything to gain by leaving it open and I would put forward to the mods a humble request to close it.

Nice forethought. :) Well done.

As it is now, I think the thread is accomplishing two positive things.

Selfishly, an open thread of people reacting to this in a rational and compassionate manner is actively helpful for my state of mind.

More broadly, I think we as a community/fandom/whatever need to talk about this. If we don't, that silence will be seen as condoning this sort of harassment by anyone who wants to justify or trivialize this behavior, and that in turn reinforces it.

I may share a hobby with these people, but I don't want them to be representative of it.

Also, I have this persistent feeling that we, as members of this community/fandom/whatever, might be in position to do something to counteract or mitigate the harassment or otherwise support Cavan Scott. Somehow. I dunno, I'm mad about this and am probably not thinking clearly.
  • Venerable Jazzman, mithrilforge, DuskRaider and 16 others like this

Skaorn

Skaorn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 454 posts

To show some support to a victim of bullying? To show that the toxic element is a minority in the community? To promote common decency and civility in a debate? I'm mean I could see questioning if this thread should be in the News & Rumors thread but I'm sure others could give a ton of reasons they feel it should exist.

I'm not surprised by this. Humans are violent poo flinging monkeys who still kill lots of people over ridiculous ideas. It doesn't mean we shouldn't try to be better and attempt to change ourselves. Of course. I just look at these books and just see an alternate setting like you'd see in comic books like what if Superman landed in the USSR and was a commie. Of course now I wonder if DC was threatened by fans over Red Son...
  • Noserenda, Rik Lightstar, Walter Payton and 5 others like this
Obed was a sailor. He sailed the seven seas. He made love to the fish. He made love to the fish.
Spaceship Zero, Insmouth Look

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,666 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

Well, if anything it had the opposite effect of what those people probably hoped to achieve (if they can even think far enough to consider any goal to their actions).

Hg9zLEX.png

Also the link to the tweet if somebody wants to read the rest of the conversations going on: https://twitter.com/...198649276747777

• Warhead01, DuskRaider, Centurion Jay and 3 others like this

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.png

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 250 posts
Unsurprised, but sorely disappointed and somewhat depressed.

MARK0SIAN

MARK0SIAN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 328 posts
I strongly dislike the idea of these books but this kind of behaviour is totally unacceptable and should have no place in our fandom.
  • Legionnaire of the VIIth, Calyptra and Michaelum like this

twopounder

twopounder

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,398 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
I would understand anger if they pulled a marvel and changed the entire line. But they haven't exactly taken anything away from the universe to make these. At worst it may delay other black library stuff in the print queue. But you aren't going to suddenly see all the miniatures and artwork turn prepubescent. It's just another niche they're trying to squeeze money out of.

4bVlhOy.jpg

Massive 3D Printing Project - Working on the Whirlwind Scorpius

Ravenwing WIP - (57 Bikes and counting)

Full Battle Company - Lion's Blade including 14 Razorbacks

Shapeways - Like the models I make? Now you can get them too!

Naryn

Naryn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 202 posts
  • Faction: Mantis Warriors
Regardless of how anyone feels about the books, I hope we can all agree that no fictional universe—and no matter how invested we are in 40k, it is ultimately a product being sold to us—no fictional universe is worth harassing another human being over, especially not with death threats or even just ill wishes.

Edited by Naryn, 13 June 2018 - 06:32 AM.

• Rik Lightstar, Juggernut, Mike Zulu and 2 others like this

Robbienw

Robbienw

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 765 posts
Welcome to the internet.

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,666 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

Welcome to the internet.

We are part of the internet as well. It doesn't have to be like that. There's no rule that says that you have to be a little :cuss on the internet just because the one you're talking to can't punch you in the face right then and there.

• Kriegsmacht, DuskRaider, Apologist and 7 others like this

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.png

sarabando

sarabando

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 730 posts

im assuming people still use focus groups? maybe in the future they should seek out groups of the most rabid fans and use them too gauge how bad a choice they are about to make XD.

Death threats are dumb just dont buy the product if you dont like it.

QuantumCollider

QuantumCollider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 672 posts
  • Faction: Forge World Fermya

Well, these days it seems your importance on social media is proportional to the amount of online death threats you get, so I would say the author is a rising star in the Warhammer community.

But it always surprises me how some people get worked up over nothing. Wishing the worst for an author over some story tangential to the lore? I'm surprised Matt Ward managed to escape with his life when meeting the fandom.

Believe me when I say I can obsess maniacally about WH40k lore, but I always remember the 40k mantra:

"Everything is canon, but nothing is necessarily true."

Clearly some people forget this. 

"Master of the Empyrean, you say? What did you do to earn that moniker? Did you study the blessed Lore of Weyl-Geller? Master the Mechanics of Warp Vortices? Investigate the Hexametic formulae of Immaterium-Materium translations?

Or are you like the rest of your kind; casting chickenbones and poking in gory entrails while your mutant mind sniffs the flatus of Daemons?"

- Magos Aetherna Dyrac to an Exalted Sorcerer.  

"Was the STC truely a gift to humanity? It gave the fire of the Deus Mechanicus to those unworthy of wielding it. The STC solved every challenge to humanity with a simple push of a rune. Technology became the plaything of those who did not understand or appreciate the genius of their forebearers. And so that brilliance dimmed, replaced by that most subtle of curses: complacency."

- Amos Faden, noted Heretek

Reinhard

Reinhard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,021 posts

Not even gonna comment the threats beyond the fact I don't feel I need to. I don't think anyone here needs to. It's lowering the bar to do so. I'm assuming the default position of everyone here is being against death threats. Nothing further should be needed to be said of it.

I do think that the elephant in the room here is that most of us probably don't agree with what we've heard of these books, or at least the way they've been presented to us. Granted, this is not my thing, so I haven't really paid attention to it much, but what I heard didn't quite jive with what i know of the setting. I refer mainly to the presentation of the characters, half of which would be halfway to damnation in 'adult' 40k. Isn't one of them a literal deserter? A tech wiz inventing what he wants?

My point is 40k is a pretty dark setting with strong horror elements offset by dark humor and often comical levels of violence. It's a dystopia, often described as the most oppressive imaginable. It's setting where trivial mistakes might have you end up as a mindscrubbed flesh servitor, a mindless slave for eternity. It's not really about freedom and doing what you want. If children's 40k tones this down to be more palpable for youngsters, aren't they setting them up with false promises? Isn't it going about it the wrong way if it makes it seem it's something it's not? Ultimately it shouldn't matter to anyone into the 'real' 40k but I just don't see the point in making it vastly different.

• Noctis and Marshal_von_Speer like this

Img_CH00_08Awards_03_ETL_2012B.gifgallery_29004_6198_5690.pngImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2012C.gifBT_Crusade_Expansion_VIII.gif

rendingon1+

rendingon1+

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,012 posts
I think some people should get a real life. Jerks emotionally attached to the GW products who build their world and meaning of life on :cussing fiction are a scourge upon community.
  • Pork Chop Express and Juggernut like this

When a Great Beast marauds, the warriors of the keep do not seek terms with it, they do not ride out and ask for it to accommodate their feelings. They set forth with shocklance and power sword, and all the courage and determination they can muster. They find the beast and they lay their blades upon it until it is dead, or they are.

facmanpob

facmanpob

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,476 posts
  • Faction: Guardians of the Covenant

A good book is a good book no matter the target demographic.

I completely support this point, which is something nobody else seems to be saying. I just wish people would stop deciding the books are going to be bad and just wait for them to come out...
  • Focslain, Guiltysparc and Calyptra like this

PtR_Black_Pearl_Badge.jpgBHoA_Eternal_Banner.jpgChapter18_Guardians_of_the_Covenant.jpgETL_2013_04_Primus_Inter_Pares.jpg

Halfpint100

Halfpint100

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 942 posts
  • Faction: 32nd Firedrakes
I am optimistic about the book, hopefully there is a good dose of humour in it that we can all laugh about. It is a shame the author got these threats, people should grow up and if they don't like it, they don't buy it. This is a great way to get fresh blood into the hobby IMO

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,031 posts

If any fraters on here took part in this, please send me a PM so I know to block you now.

Disgraceful.

• Jack of the Pelt, DuskRaider, Centurion Jay and 8 others like this

Plaguecaster

Plaguecaster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,904 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard
Nice to know the community has sunk to that fandom level of being a pathetic joke
Maybe GW shouldn't release warhammer adventure as no one deserves to be introduced into a setting with such a toxic community
I love warhammer but seriously some days the community just makes me laugh it's a god damn game with tiny toy soldiers why is there a need to be so damn serious about it :D

Edited by Plaguecaster, 13 June 2018 - 08:10 AM.

Nurgle Abominarions: A Host of Decay Revived for 8th​.
UPDATED 29/07/17

WarriorFish

WarriorFish

++ PRÆFECT SOCIORUM ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 19,273 posts
  • Faction: Hunter Legion

The B&C is here for constructive discussion on the hobby, I don't see how this follows that tenet. If we're all here to nod and pat each other on the back for being against death threats and general stupidity nothing is achieved except hot air. The same goes for the other type of hot air on matters such as this.

Please remember what the B&C stands for, and that something being 40k related doesn't magically negate other rules (a fact I am somewhat tired of having to point out lately). Thanks.

gallery_26_548_17394.gif

• Venerable Jazzman, Doghouse, Warhead01 and 13 others like this

gallery_30308_3239_3185.pnggallery_30308_9518_17558.pnggallery_30308_3239_193.pnggallery_30308_3239_17729.png
Painting Oaths Completed:
gallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_84.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gif
gallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gif
In the grim predictability of online 40k, there can be only Sun Tzu quotes

SM Cataphractii | IG Lord Commissar | CSM Maulershrimp | =][= Inquisitor "Greyfax" | AM Armigers | DE [Repaint]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users