Deathstorm drop pod experiences and opinions

sneakybamsen

Any of you guys have any experience with the deathstorm drop pods?

I'm looking at the rules, and I'm thinking, that when you drop it down, of course outside of 9 of any enemies, those assault cannons for instance can put down a big amount of dakka. It says it shoots at all enemies within range (except characters unless they are closest) with what is essentially a twin assault cannon profile or two semi-krak missiles. Of course, it should be fairly easy for your opponent to make sure that it won't be getting awesome placement options, but it's still something that can camp an objective and provide a nasty 24" threat range. Besides it's a drop pod, so it does take some punishment to shift.

It's 160 points, so it's not cheap, but it could be fun, I think?

Not intented for competitive play.

It's just that it's every unit within 24" (with assault cannons) that are the target of 12 assault cannon shots (albeit hitting on 5's the turn it lands). To me that sounds like potential for a lot of dakka. Landing it somewhere near the middle would be nasty.

I gotta come up with stuff to make my DA+knights+assassins keep growing. If I don't, I'll just start collecting TS properly :whistling:

Their sub standard machine spirit and moving heavy weapons nudge hurts them a lot, their 12" range means you'll not get more than one or two targets on landing unless your opponent is stupid.

And the missiles have been nerfed even further, only 18" range and with only two shots it's lucky if it does 1D3 damage on anything.

Yup, there are many ways to make them okay, but on their own they are far too expensive for their output.

Yeah, on the drop, it only kills 1-2 MEQ per target, you are right about that, Stobby. Unless rerolls are granted, but it's not gonna be a helluva lot more even with Azrael and lieutenant. Either you claim board control with it, or you make your opponent kill it. It's a 48"+ bubble (hull width) when it's equipped with assault cannons. And from following turns, it's hitting on 4+ instead of 5+. Set it in the right spot, however, if your opponent is not blocking that turn 2 drop properly, and it will easily make back it's points, unless opponent removes it, in which case he's not shooting at your other units to a certain degree at least.

With just 5 targets inside of 24", it's 60 assault cannon shots on the drop. I think I'm gonna have to try it, just to see how it works. Besides, painting it would be rather simple. I mean, it's spay leadbelcher and wash nuln oil on the inside, and you're done. Outside takes a bit of highlights, but it shouldn't be too bad with some spray basecoating.

Always worth a go mate, good luck with your placement.

Let us know how it goes.

But remember the assault cannon are only 12” for some weird reason.

When the missiles were 48” it was worth that option, but now the AC is the only decent one.

Well, turns out I completely messed up the numbers - you're absolutely right about the 12" range, and it's only heavy 6 on the cannons, so 5 targets within 12" is 30 shots. But that's probably not going to happen. Don't know how tired I must have been (or my battlescribe completely wrong about the rules) to have gotten it THAT wrong.

160 points for dropping down with what is a lot more likely to be 6-12 assault cannon shots that's hitting on 5's and then won't move seems expensive to me. Even Deathwing does better as they have stormbolters and can move and club things to death.

Not gonna spend hard earned cash on one of these :)

Archived